Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 12:02:25 PM EDT
Is it as bad as everyone says?  1 MRE a day maybe a couple hours of sleep?

Got any good stories?  I just find it incredible that we can even survive under those conditions

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I was in class 13-87, summer phase gets one MRE a day, while students that attend winter phase get 1 1/2 MRE's a day.

For sleep well you may go 1 day or 2 sometimes 3 without sleep and when you do get any sleep it is only about 2 hours at the most before you are moving again.

The key is moving because when ever you stop, even in the day guys will fall asleep in seconds, you would be not believe the things that you see when guys don't get enough sleep, trying to put change in a tree because they think it is a coke machine, I saw an Indian on horseback with a spear and full headdress one night, at the time I would have bet money on it, thats how bad it gets.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, but you made it even if you did see a few indians!

thats great,

so what is it a whole lot of Pt, patrolling, battle drills? and the usual mind f*cks?

thanks-
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, but you made it even if you did see a few indians!

thats great,

so what is it a whole lot of Pt, patrolling, battle drills? and the usual mind f*cks?

thanks-
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
PT test the first week........then PT is over, your Ruck will give you all the PT you need. Try walking part of the TVD in North Ga with a 45+ pound ruck.

Patrolling, planning, patrolling, missions, planning, patrolling.......etc etc etc.

Also with that diet plan you a sure to lose 25 to 35 ponds.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw a leprechaun sitting on a tree stump.  He winked at me and disappeared.  Sleep deprivation......mmmmmmmmmm. Best hallucinogen out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
PT test the first week........then PT is over, your Ruck will give you all the PT you need. Try walking part of the TVD in North Ga with a 45+ pound ruck.

Patrolling, planning, patrolling, missions, planning, patrolling.......etc etc etc.

Also with that diet plan you a sure to lose 25 to 35 ponds.

What is the TVD? You were at benning right?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I sure wasn't.

One of the guys at my shooting range was USMC Recon in 'nam, and he went through Ranger school. Rather unusual for a Marine, specially back then, I believe. He was also a Siagon embassy Marine cerca 1960 . . . had to learn French to get the French babes (English worked for the Vietnamese babes, but he preferred the French ones . . .).
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
i know a ranger, he said it was hell, and only a strong will pulled him through it all
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
My electronics teacher in high school (he's in his 50s or so) said it was a lot of fun and if he were 20 again he'd do it all over again.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#12]
i've talked to guys who have done it in the last year or so and they say it got ALOT easier b/c of the stink raised over several soldiers dying about a year and a half ago. i think they all died of hypothermia...
i was going to go when i broke my back jumpin. may try s.f. if i ever get healed up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I just graduated in July.  I went straight through (thank God) without any recycles or injuries.  They have changed it since 1-75Ranger went through.  You now get two meals a day while patrolling and in every phase except Florida you get three while in garrison (where you spend about 60 percent of the time).  At the end you can sell an MRE for anywhere from 60-120 bucks.  I have also been to Sapper Leader Course and I thought the patrolling phase of SLC was harder than any phase of Ranger School.  My hallucinations included flying bunnies and a Mexican Style Ranch.  When I was so tired I couldn't see straight it felt like I could see the future.  Before anyone would talk to me I "knew" what they were going to say.  During one roadmarch I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open.  So I just guided a little to the right until I walked off the road, then I guided to the left.  (I didn't have too many hallucinations in Ranger School, those were all from SLC).

If you have any questions about specifics just e-mail me at

[email protected]

Drew Kennedy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top