Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 6:57:56 PM EDT
Simple question.Do you like the P99(either caliber is fine).I held one and I think it would be a good beginners handgun.What do you guys think?Is it better than the M92F?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a pic?

That's the gun James Bond uses right?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it a lot.  It has quite a bit of flip for a 9mm, but it is very easy to aim, and very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
yes....

and I really like the Walther P22......just need a suppressor for it!

As for muzzle flip, yeah it has some.  But nothing proper grip/technique and some practice can't handle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It has a bit more than most pistols of the same caliber, but it's nothing too serious.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes it is James Bond gun if your wondering.But thats not why I asked.I am thinking it would be a good beginner gun for me and my desicion is between the P99 or the M92F.The reason is cause my dad already has a 1911 and these two pistols both come in 9mm and .40S&W.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
gonna get a .40,  I've gotta wait another month and a half  so I've been in-state 6 months for purchase permit approval. I can't wait to get it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember shooting a 92, and it had very little flip.  They are both great guns, though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I own the Full size SW99 and the compact in .40.  Wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
They are the same gun pretty much except for the trigger guards.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
From what I understand from reviews and such it is slightly more accurate than it's SW99 brother  but doesnt have the same universal light  mounting system like the SW.  The one on the Walther is rather like a H&K USP. I believe the P(( and SW99 are the only striker  fired  DA/SA pistols around.  The interchangeble grips are nice and I like the short action trigger model it' s kinda like the HK LEM. The ambi mag release is pretty easy to operate but the decocker is kinda wierd especially for a south paw.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yes it is James Bond gun if your wondering.But thats not why I asked.I am thinking it would be a good beginner gun for me and my desicion is between the P99 or the M92F.The reason is cause my dad already has a 1911 and these two pistols both come in 9mm and .40S&W.

Out of those two choices, get the Walther!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one in .40.

The trigger is odd with allot of travel, even in SA mode, Still it is predictable and controllable. The weapon shoots very accurately.  The slide mounted decock is not favorable but much better than the 92FS.

The slide lock is placed too close to my thumb (perhaps back to far) when wrapped over. I have actually had the weapon inadventantly lock the slide during cycling with a non-empty magazine.

The guide rod is flimbsy plastic but had not broken.

Flip is minimal IMO and it balances nicely.  The P99 carries and conceals excellently for a weapon of it's size.
Of course the Sig and 92 are heavier weapons!

My biggest complaint is the number of FTF's. I'll give it that I have mostly fed it cheaper ammo.  Still, it has failed with expensive hydro's.  

My general consenses is that is could be improved with a modifed feed ramp and better ergonomics of the control features (minus the mag release, which I like).

I like it better than any 92 I have ever shot but, it falls short when compared to a .40 Sig.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Simple answer.. Yes, I love mine. S&W99 .40.
Flip is not bad running 165gr through it.

Edited to add:
Mine has never given me any problems with any ammo that I have run through it. That includes a few thousand rounds of Win white box, UMC, wolf (only a few boxes), speer, CCI, ect...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I love mine. It's very comfortable. I just put in an order for a VersaMax 2 holster for it today in anticipation of carrying it concealed (going to get my CCW very soon). I may pick up the compact model for the summer months next year. Since buying it, I've sanded off the bump in the trigger guard (since it pinched my finger) and put on a Hogue Handall grip.  I don't think the recoil/flip is unbearable by any means. It's very controllable to me. I've put about 700-800 rounds through mine so far with 0 failures, and that was even using 115 grain Winchester White Box ammo to break it in against recommendations not to use lighter than 124 grain ammo to break it in, in the Walther FAQ. You can shoot +P and +P+ ammo no problem. I've put around 125 rounds of 124 grain Speer Gold Dots through it and it didn't have much bite. 16 round mags are a plus (I spent $75 each on 3 of them). I'd like to get some Mepro night sights and a Walther threaded barrel in the near future.

It's very safe and has the usual internal safeties including a firing pin block till the trigger is pulled. It also has a loaded chamber indicator that works in tandem with the extractor. It has a decocker that some people feel is awkward to work, but I have no problems slightly turning the pistol in hand and pressing it with my thumb. The magazine release is also different from most pistols, and can be hard to actuate with a fully loaded mag (when you don't chamber a round first), but I can still work it with my index finger, and it's nice and easy the way it should be once you chamber a round or have an empty mag. There are several trigger options for whatever you like. I went with the SA/DA trigger setup and like it. The reset time on the SA/DA model is VERY quick which means you can shoot VERY fast. There are DAO and another type similar to what a Glock has. I may be leaving one or two out. There are two generations of pistols now however. Some hate the new looks. Choose what you like. For what it's worth, I like the new style. I'm slightly tempted to trade mine in for one. I'd definately recommend one for anybody interested in a 9mm pistol.  

Here's a couple of good sites with info.
www.lenaburgs.net/james/Guns/Walther.htm
www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/
www.waltherforum.com/

Here's the new compact model that belongs to Dr. Lunde of the Walther Forums. Pretty sweet looking little pistol.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#17]
sw99=smith and wession copy

P99=walther made but check the slide for for proof marks of an eagle ontop of a circle with a N in it.that is the walther proof mark S&W made acouple of parts for the P99

The P99 is a good handgun.The P99 bond used is the 40 cal model

Carl walther Website with good info on the walther
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Be sure to get the WALTHER, not the cheap S&W knockoff.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Walther P99

I have more than one; in 9 milly.

The .40 shoots just fine but does take a little firmer grip to control, not for girlymen.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Great, now I'm seriously considering doing a trade in on my older model with a new one! Thanks guys!

I'll definately be snagging the compact model after the first of the year.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Got the SW99 in 9mm, had some problems with 115 gr ammo in the beginning called the factory had a Fedex man there the next day, fixed for free, lifetime warranty, gun shoots flawleessly now, accurate, gotta get used to the trigger, it is my carry gun now....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Bond had a PPK not a P99
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Bond had a PPK not a P99

Bond now uses a P99 9mm actually. In fact there is even a special limited edition James Bond MI6 "Her Majesty's Special Service" P99 that they released a while back. It's fairly pricey though.

Here's a picture of him with it.
www.swisscowboy.ch/Internet/wallpapers/Filme/james%20bond1.jpg
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one in 40 and love it. The ergos are exc for me. I use my week hand thumb to operate the decocker. I find the mag release to be the fastest I have used and does no require me to shift my grip.
The last round to be loaded in a mag is STIFF. I have never had a FTF or FTE. Been 100% reliable.
If you shoot alot of revolvers or TDAs you will have not problems with the P99 trigger. It is the best of any polymer gun I have used, very crisp and tight for a plastic gun.
The grip is exc, so much so HK copied it. The only thing I dont care for is the non-standard rail, which the new ones as I recall have been standardized.

I dont like the look of the new ones, ugly as hell I think. It is a best buy. Bachman Pawn and Gun in SGN has them for less than 500 bones in OD and black.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:21:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I know S&W makes a copy.I would get the Walther made one.BTW thanks for the help guys.I think this will be my first pistol.Now I just need to choose caliber......
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:31:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I have shot a friend's P99 in .40 and found it to be very accurate.  I was surprised how well I could handle the trigger pull (single action, at least- double action was pretty cheesy).  Unfortunately he failed to sell it to me on the spot for less than it was worth.  The nerve of some people.

The FTF issue is something I have heard of.  Check the followers on your magazines.  There was an "upgrade" on some of them I believe.  The mags are made by Mecgar.  This is murky memory operating here but I think the followers come in different colors to differentiate the versions.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I have the P99 in .40, 9MM and .177Cal pellett

I have aprox 7k through the .40 and 5k through the 9MM

I have the 9MM at my side all the time with 16 in the mag

All are german made.

Have had a problem with the .40. Had to have Earls replace the fire controll group and broke a slide lock.

No problems with the 9MM.

Best fit handgun I own.

The .177 is nearly same size and weight and great for basement plinking fun. Good training aid.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I had the 9mm for while...the only reason I traded to a buddy was that he had my old Beretta Cougar .45 and I wanted it back...

I like the Walther...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I almost picked up a P99. I didn't care for all the polymer. I opted for a Sig 239 w/ night sights.

Just my .02

Hep
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I am also thinking a SIG pistol(prolly 226 or 228) but I think I will stick with the P99.I held one and it felt great.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like it a lot.  It has quite a bit of flip for a 9mm, but it is very easy to aim, and very accurate.

How about the Walther P-99 in .40 cal?

Is it controllable? Or does it flip way too much, as well?

Anyone?

Eric The(Interested)Hun

I've got a .40 P99 in the two-tone olive drab/black color scheme (P99 Military).
It does tend to "bounce" a bit when you are firing it, and the trigger takes some getting used to,
but it is an easy pistol to aim and is very accurate.

I really like the size, and the way it fits my hand is better than any other pistol I have fired (It
comes with 3 adjustable rubber pieces that you can swap out that change the pistol grip to
fit the firer's hand).
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I am also thinking a SIG pistol(prolly 226 or 228) but I think I will stick with the P99.I held one and it felt great.

Whoah, now you are talking.

I have both of those, the Walther P99, ("titanium" finish, german made) in .40 and the Sig 226 in 9mm west german made.

I do love both, but I like the 226 a little better over my walther,

the walther has a little flip in .40 but like others said it isn't bad, I love to shoot the pistol, I also have a .357 sig barrel for it. I like the .357 sig barrel alot better, it just feels hotter.

The sig 226 is my favortie pistol of all time, it has all the pluses of a Bereeta 92fs (15 cap mags, SA/DA, decocker) but the trigger is nicer than my dads 92fs, and the grip is better, the beretta has always felt too thick for me.

And I don't really like glocks so they weren't an option for me.

thats gonna be a tough decision..

so in true arfcom fashion...

GET BOTH!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#35]
How do you think it would be for our soldiers in Iraq/Afganistan?The marines(from what i've heard) dont trust their lives to the M9s and this seems like it might be good for military use.Do any countries use it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#36]
If yourinterested in tac lights get the S&W99 instead.
The P99 has A proprietary rail system.
The S&W99 has A regular rail that accepts standard lights/lasers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Add me to the list.  I've got a p99 in 9mm DA/SA.  First pistol I've owned and love everything about it.  Having tried on many other guns this one just feels like it's meant to be held.  Feels like your favorite pair of shoes when you put them on.  Conceals very well.  I have the full size and plan on getting the compact version as well.  I've put 1,500 rounds through mine, all of them being WWBoxes  except for 100 of 124gr Winchesters to break it in.  Have not had one FTF or FTE.  The only hiccup I've had is that the slide didn't lock after firing the last round out of one mag, and that only happened once.  

Things I especially like about the gun are where the mag release buttons are.  Using my right middle finger to depress the button I can switch mags in the blink of an eye.   Accuracy is great,  can keep headshots together on a sillouette at 10-15 yards as well as stay in the 9-X range.  Very easy to breakdown and clean,  the slide pops off without any tools and just a quick pull on the buttons.  And again, it'e been the most reliable gun I've shot and owned.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
How do you think it would be for our soldiers in Iraq/Afganistan?The marines(from what i've heard) dont trust their lives to the M9s and this seems like it might be good for military use.Do any countries use it?

I carried the M9 for a while when I was in the Corps (never in combat), but I never liked the weapon. I would have much rather carried the P99, but that's just personal opinion, and some of that has to do with a preference for .40 over 9mm (and I'll say it again, not based on combat experience).
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#39]
I probably would want a light/laser on it(home defence,and I like lasers).So the P99 cant mount them good?That sucks....Well,when I do get around to buying it should I get it in 9mm or .40S&W?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#40]
P99 .40, great gun and accepts any reloads I make for it, within spec
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I know S&W makes a copy.I would get the Walther made one.BTW thanks for the help guys.I think this will be my first pistol.Now I just need to choose caliber......

9mm all the way. I am very happy with my 9mm P99. You can read my review of it here:

http://www.assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002859;p=0#000000

This review was done quite a while ago, and I have fired many rounds through the pistol since then. I am very impressed with my P99, an older OD green framed completely German gun.

I even used it to do some clay shooting, and it performed quite well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#42]

I was at Galyans (before the bastard dick's bought them) and was talking to the guy at the gun counter.  He said that on 2 separate occasions, 2 men came in on leave from Iraq and bought 2 P99's each.  I forget what other sidearm he said they were using but they didn't like it and their other buddies who were over there were having great success with the p99.  Couldn't beat the price either,  they had the .40 for 439 (marked wrong but said they'd honor it)  and the 9mm for 469.  Too bad I was across state line and not able to purchase.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I probably would want a light/laser on it(home defence,and I like lasers).So the P99 cant mount them good?That sucks....Well,when I do get around to buying it should I get it in 9mm or .40S&W?

Walther does make A light/laser for the P99 but they are not very good and are WAyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over priced.
www.waltheramerica.com/WA_catalog.cfm?start=17&page=3&ctgr=4&keywords=&searchtype=&lowrange=&highrange=
The only diffrence in the P99 ans S&W99 are the trigger guard (P99 = square | S&W99 = round) and the rails (P99 = proprietary | S&W99 = standard)
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#44]
I've sold 2 firearms in my life. One of which was a P-99, 9mm.

I have regreted it ever since. The ONLY upside is that I sold it to a member of ARFCOM, so I'm sure it's in good hands. I'll likely replace it with a P-99 .40, or possible the new HK P2000, which has many of the same features.

I think the P-99 is hands down, the finest feeling pistol I've ever fired or carried. The design is fantastic. Slim profile for carry, adjustable grip, loaded chamber indicator, great decocking feature and fun to shoot. Mine was 100% reliable, and it's beyond me why I ever decided to sell it, for the life of me no good reason comes to mind.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoah, now you are talking.

I have both of those, the Walther P99, ("titanium" finish, german made) in .40 and the Sig 226 in 9mm west german made.

I do love both, but I like the 226 a little better over my walther,

the walther has a little flip in .40 but like others said it isn't bad, I love to shoot the pistol, I also have a .357 sig barrel for it. I like the .357 sig barrel alot better, it just feels hotter.

The sig 226 is my favortie pistol of all time, it has all the pluses of a Bereeta 92fs (15 cap mags, SA/DA, decocker) but the trigger is nicer than my dads 92fs, and the grip is better, the beretta has always felt too thick for me.

And I don't really like glocks so they weren't an option for me.

thats gonna be a tough decision..

so in true arfcom fashion...

GET BOTH!!!!!

Yeah!

Aside from the SIG 239 in 9, I have a 226 (West German) that I've had for almost 15 years. Everyone who has ever fired it, even novice shooters, are able to pick it up and drill a target consistently.

I once had a guy poke fun, saying his tricked out 92F was superior. I offered him a full 15 round mag. He fired. Slow w/ a good group. He then paused, put my pistol down, stepped back out of the lane and shouted down the firing line "Anyone wanna buy a 92F????"  True story!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#46]
A friend of mine had TWO KB's with factory .40 SW ammo in her P99 (one in the original, another in the warranty replacement).  YMMV.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
A friend of mine had TWO KB's with factory .40 SW ammo in her P99 (one in the original, another in the warranty replacement).  YMMV.  

More info please. One person with 2 KBs in one model of pistol, back to back is REALLLYYYYYY odd.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:32:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Not unless someone was shooting extremely out of spec ammo. The Walther has traditional rifling, so it is safe to shoot with lead bullets, unlike the Glock and USP that have polygonal rifling. Personally, though it is possible, I smell a generous dose of:

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Lasers are a near useless sighting device.  Aquisition time is severly slowed with a laser untill you learn how to not totally depend on it. I have tried lasers on every weapon imaginable (handguns, bows, rifles) and have come to the conclusion that they offer no distinct advantage over what is traditionally available.  I shoot better and faster without a laser sighting device.

Get a set of night sites (A MUST) and learn how to sight the weapon with a Sure-Fire C2 or simular in your weak hand.

For close range home defense, learn how to point the weapon while keeping the sight picture below your immediate field of view.

I own several handguns but no 9mms, I vote for the .40.

FWIW, the P239 IS a excellent weapon! I own and posted my likes/dislikes with the P99.  Given a choice; I would take the P239 over the P99.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a SW99 in .45acp & I really like it. I use it sometimes for my CCL piece.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top