Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 1:58:40 PM EDT
What would you do if a firearm you purchased was described as in very good to excellent condition and you found light rust on internals and frosting and/or pitting in the bore? I am not so happy about this but am not sure if it is enough reason to return the rifle as it might shoot fine?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
That is "poor" condition...PERIOD!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1

Return it!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
^

What they said!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
What are it

Sly
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
You should have gotten a less subjective description.  Don't EVER settle for "descriptive" terms like "excellent" or "very good".  Have them be specific when describing it.

All in all, I agree.  ANY rust automatically puts the rifle into a "poor" category IMO, but again, such terms are very subjective.  What one person considers "very good" another may consider "absolute trash".
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Pitting & Rust is bad....period
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#7]
This rifle was from a reputable dealer on the boards who I will not mention until they have had an opportunity to address the issue. If it was a private purchase I would have demanded more details. I was told that the barrel was bright and shiny without pitting and that is not the case. Otherwise I trusted that their interpretation of very good to excellent would be on teh mark consdiering their reputation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Return it!

Ditto.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This rifle was from a reputable dealer on the boards who I will not mention until they have had an opportunity to address the issue. If it was a private purchase I would have demanded more details. I was told that the barrel was bright and shiny without pitting and that is not the case. Otherwise I trusted that their interpretation of very good to excellent would be on teh mark consdiering their reputation.

Is it a dealer in another state? If so, it may be a PITA to ship the rifle back to him. Can the rust be removed with some steel wool? Is the barrel in safe usable condition? If so, do what you can with the rifle and see if the dealer will work out a partial refund with you based on your complaints.

If he's as reputable as you say, then he should be willing and wanting to protect his reputation by correcting this error! Then again, if he was reputable he probably would not have sold a rusted over worn out rifle as being in "very good" condition!

My $.02
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I manged to get most of the rust off the bolt carrier and gas tube by scrubbing it with WD-40 and the barrel is "safe", with decent lands and grooves. What bothers me is the fact that it was described as very good to excellent. No amount of pitting or surface rust fits this description. Yes, the dealer is out of state.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Bitch him out, and try and get some of your money back! You were clearly mislead on the condition of the rifle. If he refuses to work with you, post his name in the feedback section of EE!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]
What kind of rifle is it?  Garand?  AR15?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What would you do if a firearm you purchased was described as in very good to excellent condition and you found light rust on internals and frosting and/or pitting in the bore? I am not so happy about this but am not sure if it is enough reason to return the rifle as it might shoot fine?

Rust anywhere turns to poor condition in my book. If you are happy with it and it shoots fine, and you don't mind paying for a gun in worse condition than you had expected, go for it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#14]
First off, if you can/the inspection terms allow it, clean the bore. More than once I've looked down the barrel of a Garand, got grumpy cause it looked like it was completly neglected between the years of 1942 and 1945...and then spent the next hour cleaning the bore, only to find out the bore was largly perfect.

Spend the 30 minutes brushing the bore and running patches down it. The bore may improve it's condition.

Also, check muzzlewear and throat erosion if you could.

Rust...I don't know.  If the parts are blued, it could be just someone touched the parts and forgot to wipe them down. I have H&K mags that rust if I don't wipe them down after I touch them with my fingers (I'm also in a fairly humid area, so...) If the parts are parked or have another finish on them..I'd be seriously annoyed.

Just my 2 100ths of a dollar..
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#15]
BITCH ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
MODERN CONDITIONS --
New -- not previously sold at retail, in same condition as current factory production.
Perfect -- in new condition in every respect.
Excellent -- new condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing perfect (except at muzzle or sharp edges).
Very Good -- in perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents and scratches.
Good -- in safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.
Fair --in safe working condition, but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should e indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable

Above are the NRA's ratings for firearms.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#17]
What is it?

Agree with Evil Ed here... I've seen barrels in Milsurps that clean up to like-new, and I've seen ones that just don't clean up at all.  You may also have got an 'oops' - something that should have gone in the 'good' pile and wound up in the 'excellent' pile.

If you got the rust off of it, I wouldn't worry about it.  One of my old Milsurps rusts anytime I don't keep a heavy coat of oil on it.  It's entirely possible that they cleaned off the cosmo, it looked great, and put it back in the box... where it rusted.

Just my thoughts...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#18]
if it's just a little surface rust on the blueing on the outside of the barrel, it's not so bad, but if it's on the inside, you have a problem.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]
More details:

The rifle is an FAL.  After receiving it I cleaned the bore and fired several rounds through it as I know doing both can clear crud out of a barrel that has been sitting for a long time.  I also gave the benefit of the doubt to the dealer and did not want to hassle them only to find out after cleaning that they were good on their word.

After the trip to the range I came back and did an extensive cleaning on the barrel. I ran a new bore brush through the bore a bunch of times with solvent and patched it clean until the amount of black coming out was greatly reduced. However after shooting and cleaning it continues to look rough and appears to be pulling lint from my patches whereas other rifles are not with the same patches. It is not blued but parkerized, actually reparkerized, so I would think that rust should have been eliminated.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
More details:

The rifle is an FAL.  After receiving it I cleaned the bore and fired several rounds through it as I know doing both can clear crud out of a barrel that has been sitting for a long time.  I also gave the benefit of the doubt to the dealer and did not want to hassle them only to find out after cleaning that they were good on their word.

After the trip to the range I came back and did an extensive cleaning on the barrel. I ran a new bore brush through the bore a bunch of times with solvent and patched it clean until the amount of black coming out was greatly reduced. However after shooting and cleaning it continues to look rough and appears to be pulling lint from my patches whereas other rifles are not with the same patches. It is not blued but parkerized, actually reparkerized, so I would think that rust should have been eliminated.

Yep. Given all that, I'd definitily either ask for a refund, or if you want to keep the rifle, ask for a partial refund, given it's condition.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Hopefully you didn't just void the inspection period by firing it.  Most inspection periods are non-firing inspections. . . at least in all of my deals they have been. good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top