Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 7:29:58 PM EDT
So I know what it looks like, but I can't get mine to stay.  I used water to get it soft before I roll it and it falls out after a little wear.  I know, as with everything in the military, there is a trick to everything.  So what's the trick to "Ranger rolling" a BDU hat?  Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used spray starch on a new one to get it started.  Once it's been "trained" to fall that way it will go back even after the starch is worn out.  Just saturate it, shape, wear until mostly dry.  Peel from head, () and let dry completely.  It doesn't work very well with any haircut other than HnT or cue-ball, in my experience.  If you don't have an HSLD haircut, you wind up looking like one of those folks with a little tiny hat on top of a big dome of hair.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Spray starch!  Lot's of it!

ETA: I should read before posting!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I never starched a patrol cap. Just getit nice and wet and while on your head press/roll into shape. Wear it until it dries. That's it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]
what is "Ranger rolling"?

Please excuse my ignorance.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up the habit of pinching mine while waiting for appointments etc.  Even if you don't starch it, after a coouple hospital appts. she stays sharp.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm... well, had a link, now it doesn't work....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
my dad says that in the navy they used salt water
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#8]
hot water plus wood glue in a spray bottle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
If you haven't been through Ranger school, you haven't earned the right to wear it that way.  If you have, you'd know how to roll it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you haven't been through Ranger school, you haven't earned the right to wear it that way.  If you have, you'd know how to roll it.

Let him play army all he wants, it's a free country. Welcome to America.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I would always just spend boring moments turning the hat.  

for the uninitiated....

it's not on my photo host so I don't know how long it will last.  Try the link...

http://www.artwallpapers.com/military/ranger/01/ranger01.jpg
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If you have not climbed Everest, you must not have a carabiner either.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Makes them look kinda like Marine covers :-)!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

ooohhhh I guess we poor non tabbed types don't (didn't in my case) have the right to eat "ranger pudding" or "ranger cookies" and we shouldn't have done the "ranger snot blow" I shit you not, someone called it that once.  I guess you need also enforce that among the majority of rangers in a bat who have only been to RIP too.  "Ranger rolling" was around long before there were army rangers.  It came from cowboy hats.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have not climbed Everest, you must not have a carabiner either.

I have not, obviously.  But I am not the type of poser who walks around with a carabiner on my pack for show either.  I use them for rappelling, and then store them with the rest of my gear.  So...what was your point?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
... Semi-hijack mode

... how do you roll ends of boonie caps to get them to stick, like I see all the time?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

ooohhhh I guess we poor non tabbed types don't (didn't in my case) have the right to eat "ranger pudding" or "ranger cookies" and we shouldn't have done the "ranger snot blow" I shit you not, someone called it that once.  I guess you need also enforce that among the majority of rangers in a bat who have only been to RIP too.  "Ranger rolling" was around long before there were army rangers.  It came from cowboy hats.  

Nope.  Different things entirely.  I had lots of Gunsite coffee mugs before I went, but only wear the pin (on my breif case) after I took the training.  I guess if you don't get it, don't ask.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
... Semi-hijack mode

... how do you roll ends of boonie caps to get them to stick, like I see all the time?

You use the cord inside and tie it up over the top...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Crypes, It's getting to the point nowadays where you can't use or do anything anymore just because a unit in the military happens to use or do it.

I see no problem with it unless he's trying to present himself as a Ranger. Maybe he just likes the way it looks/feels/performs. There's a reason why the Corps is going with digital camo, because it's more effective. But I guess we loli civilians should stay away from a more effective camo because the Corps is using it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're talking about rolling up the sides ala Aussie, you can usually steam them into position or pull the chin cord up over the top and tie it off.

BTW, Currahee you forgot the traditional eating of the "Ranger Candy"  (aka 800mg Motrin)
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

BTW, Roger's Rangers were around in the 1700's.  Yes, I know they didn't roll their hats, but they certainly preceded modern cowboy hats.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crypes, It's getting to the point nowadays where you can't use or do anything anymore just because a unit in the military happens to use or do it.

I see no problem with it unless he's trying to present himself as a Ranger. Maybe he just likes the way it looks/feels/performs. There's a reason why the Corps is going with digital camo, because it's more effective. But I guess we loli civilians should stay away from a more effective camo because the Corps is using it.

Now you're talkin', buddy!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I always had my cover snatched off my head and tossed/stomped on by the DS's breaking my pin-on rank for shaping my cover. Not Ranger Rolled, but formed so it was kinda flat across the top and just generally sharp in appearence. They asked why I do that and I answered "If I look sharp, I think it'll help me with military bearing". They didn't do it so much after that.

Now I just kinda roll the sides alittle with a peak at the front and back. It can be overdone and not look right if you're too Hooah-Haooah about it.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
HSLD haircut

Never knew I had an elite "opertaor" haircut. Kewl...

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:33:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Respect anyone who serves their country.  PERIOD.

even us lowly zoomies? JOY! the AF's motto should be "I get no Respect"

and by the way, the USAF PJs and CCT boys ranger roll their hats. and if you think a PJ isn't one of the top Badasses in the military you are either stupid, or ignorant of them.
ive seen seals step aside in chow line to allow the ParaJumpers to go ahead. Known as curtesy to those who save lives.
"that others may live"
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Geez...  and all this time I thought that Rangers heads were just shaped that way.  

Semper Fi  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Spent close to 4 years in 2/75 and I never "Ranger Rolled" my hat; it never was my style. I'd put it on and smash the top with my hand.  I guess I was never concerned with fashion.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:47:58 AM EDT
[#29]
To make your hat look sharp (and I guess the same method would work, in reverse, for the "Ranger Roll" or "Ranger Crush" as it was generally known in units I served in),
1. Get the new hat wet.
2. Shape it in the form you want it to be.
3. Rub in starch.
4. Remove pin-on metal rank (very important).
5. Place hat in the microwave (use the one in the day room so you don't stink up your own).
6. "Cook" the hat for 30 second intervals, watching carefully for smoke.
7. Remove the hat when it is almost dry and allow it to air dry.

You will now have a starched, spiffy-looking hat. It works for "blocking" the old issued army patrol-style hats, so it should work to set in a good "Ranger Roll." Just don't set it on fire in the microwave, as it is hard to explain to the CQ.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:30:36 AM EDT
[#30]
not to highjack...but the "chin cord" on a boonie cover isnt a chin cord. it goes around the back of your head like a state troopers stetson. show up in the field with it under your chin like a sunday bonnet and people will point and laugh.

strange aside:  guys who use the boonie cord as a chin strap are the same guys who hang their knives upside down on their shouler strap. HAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

for the uninitiated....

www.artwallpapers.com/military/ranger/01/ranger01.jpg

it's not on my photo host so I don't know how long it will last.  Try the link...

Hey that is my desktop!

What is all this talk about starch.... who the hell starches a PC, it is a field cap, just pull it out tuck down the sides and move out and draw fire.

It works better on a PC that has the ear flaps in them, also it's not the Ranger's that come up with all  these names, we hardly ever use ranger beads and any of that other stuff that people attach the word Ranger to.

We do eat Ranger pudding and Ranger Candy, I used to eat 800mg's before every roadmarch.

P.S. The starch will just make you look like you are trying to look High speed Low drag.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
not to highjack...but the "chin cord" on a boonie cover isnt a chin cord. it goes around the back of your head like a state troopers stetson. show up in the field with it under your chin like a sunday bonnet and people will point and laugh.

strange aside:  guys who use the boonie cord as a chin strap are the same guys who hang their knives upside down on their shouler strap. HAHAHAHAHA

Yeah - laugh it up, but when the wind starts howling you may look "cool" but you may also lose your hat!  Mine usually stays behind my head, but many a sandstorm caused me to use it under my chin.  If I only had your wisdom, maybe I wouldn't have lost so many cool points all those years ago?

On top of that - try wirking on a flight line wihtout any positive retention on your headgear - "Well, Gee, SIr - I'm sorry I grounded that aircraft when my cover got sucked into the jet intake, but the importsnt thing is I didn't look like a dork!"
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

for the uninitiated....

www.artwallpapers.com/military/ranger/01/ranger01.jpg

Hey that is my desktop!

What is all this talk about starch.... who the hell starches a PC, it is a field cap, just pull it out tuck down the sides and move out and draw fire.

It works better on a PC that has the ear flaps in them, also it's not the Ranger's that come up with all  these names, we hardly ever use ranger beads and any of that other stuff that people attach the word Ranger to.

We do eat Ranger pudding and Ranger Candy, I used to eat 800mg's before every roadmarch.

P.S. The starch will just make you look like you are trying to look High speed Low drag.

This is true.  You can always tell a pogue from an 11B - the pogues' covers are clean!  

Starch is a good way to get it started though.  Ya don't want to keep doing it, unless you want the cover glued to your dome the next time you're out in the rain!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Starching your patrol cap, or any piece of field equipment is a good way to grow yourself a new eyeball in the center of your forehead (ever see something starched under NVGs?).  If you had to keep a garison cap and a field cap, that just seems pretty gay IMHO, but then I had starched garrison BDUs and field boots and garrison boots, so take that with a grain of salt.

As far as "only rangers should do it" that's bogus, the ability or standard of ranger rolling your hat is not granted at the end of the school, the tab is.  Ranger rolling is something I allways did A) because it looked better and B) because it gave me something to do.  As I recall AR670-1 said NOT to do ANYTHING to form your cap, and for the person who said the DS tor it off, well that's in basic DUH.  I wouldn't begrudge a 71L rolling their hat, or wearing jump boots for that matter.

Jeeze, it's amazing to see what threads get filled up quickly

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I nominate this for quote of the day...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah - laugh it up, but when the wind starts howling you may look "cool" but you may also lose your hat!  Mine usually stays behind my head, but many a sandstorm caused me to use it under my chin.  If I only had your wisdom, maybe I wouldn't have lost so many cool points all those years ago?

On top of that - try wirking on a flight line wihtout any positive retention on your headgear - "Well, Gee, SIr - I'm sorry I grounded that aircraft when my cover got sucked into the jet intake, but the importsnt thing is I didn't look like a dork!"

EXACTLY!  and when you are on a flightline that reaches over 130 deg. F (no bullshit there, i KNOW) you damn well better believe we want our cover on to help hide the sun...
i dont wear my strap under my chin unless the wind is blowing.. normally the thing is in my side pocket (fold it right and you can get a baseball hat type bill curl, perfect for keeping sun out)

and it is always funny to see some asshat chasing his boonie down the flightline.

and if you try to chase it in a place that is mined, you will die! my friends watched it last year during an ERO..
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I nominate this for quote of the day...

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#38]
someone that doesn't wear their boonie's chinstrap under their chin has never been hrough a desert windstorm or ridden in the back of an open truck.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Mind you, the starching of the Patrol Cap for me was a garrison only thing. Just like most troops had nice BDUs that they only wore in garrison (starched, of course), their own set of LBV that they only wore in the field (keeping the issued stuff pristine for change of command ceremonies and the inevitable impossible turn-in to CIF) and field boots that hadn't seen polish in years.

For the record, I never wore a "Patrol Cap" in the field during my Army days; the K-pot was always a mandatory part of the field uniform. In garrison, though, it was always starch and polish, and everything always looked extremely presentable, which, while it was an enormous waste of time, is what one should expect from professionals. Even today, I have four sets of spit-shined work boots in the garage, awaiting their days at work, several days worth of work uniforms fresh from the dry cleaners, with a shined name tag and a shiny clean badge and awards and a couple of sets of starched BDUs hanging in the closet for times when I have to look "tactical" and presentable (dog and pony shows for the public). Now my "raid" boots that visit crack houses and such are clean, but haven't seem polish in years. It seems kind of pointless when I always have to spray them down with bleach because of the filth, human and animal waste and occasional bodily fluids/parts that I have to step in. Occupational hazard, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Veering off-topic, but I have to ask: how do the .mil boonies differ in function from a commercial favorite, the Tilly hat?

Anybody had both?

(Given that this is arfcom, I'm sure many DO have both... )
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
someone that doesn't wear their boonie's chinstrap under their chin has never been hrough a desert windstorm or ridden in the back of an open truck.

If I recall correctly, AR-670-1 mandated that the chinstrap be worn under the chin. I wouldn't know firsthand, because, while I was issued the "HAT, CAMOUFLAGE" a couple of times, I never got to wear one, as we ALWAYS wore the helmet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#42]
In most units I was in Kpot was absolutely mandatory in the field.  In Korea at night we could wear soft caps.  I was in a scout platoon in the guard and we could wear whatever we wanted until we got in to garrison.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I picked up the habit of pinching mine while waiting for appointments etc.  Even if you don't starch it, after a coouple hospital appts. she stays sharp.

thats what I did
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

yep the few times when I wore my boonie I had the cord under the chin when it was windy, usuall I just wore my soft cap with a ranger roll looks better

and It was SOP to have the cord tucked up under the floppy hat combat garrison salute area and to have win the cleanest post award BS  c'mon its a freakin war worry about something more important
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Its like legs wearing jump boots... sure you can do it, but you look like a fool IMO.

(Note the IMO, becase its just that)
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#48]
For some clarification, since some either don't think I should wear the hat that way or whatever.  No I have not attended Ranger School, nor will I as I'm headed into a different branch.  The reason I have rolled this particular cover is the top part is rather large and gets in the way.  It has been retired as it is full of sweat and other assorted nastiness from some Texas heat and humidity.  Now it is a "range" hat that makes me remember "the good ol days of up at 0400 and to bed at 2230."  It should be noted shooting range for me is some backwoods county with no people within about a 20 miles.  It allows the ear muffs to sit on my head without the hat bunching up underneath it.  The first time I saw this wear style was on an AF CCT guy.  At any rate, thanks for all the replies.  As it turns out, I've been doing it right all along.  Just didn't know if there was something I was missing.  After all it is just a damn hat.  Thanks again guys!

Integrity first
Service before self
Excellence in all we do

Max
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Can you get those hats in MARPAT

Luck
Alac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top