Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 7:02:57 PM EDT
....God or bad luck.

I was having a discussion with a coworker of mine the other day about why I am an agnostic.

I asked him why he believed in God. And he stated simply "because of what I've seen God Do".

When I pressed him further, instead of stating good things that had happened to him, he stated bad things that had happened to him. Much of which had happened recently.

Being privy to much of his misfortune (both recent and in the past), I looked right at him and proceeded to tell him that all of his problems were his own fucking fault (which they are). Of course he could not refute that, and nor did he try.

I have known many other people who constantly repeat the phrase "If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all".

If I hear that one more time I swear I will fucking puke.

It's not bad luck/gods fault you got drunk and got a DWI.

It's not bad luck/gods fault you sleep with women behind your wifes back and got VD and now she wants to divorce you.

It's not bad luck/gods fault you can't show up to work on time, can't handle responsibility, and will never move up in life.

WTF is wrong with these people? I'm so sick of hearing their tired sob stories when almost all of their problems are their own damn fault.

I know everyone knows somebody like this, and I'm sure it baffles you as well. But I just had to vent as I've heard too much of this recently. I know everybody make mistakes (as have I and payed for them), but some peope NEVER freaken learn.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
....God or bad luck.

I have known many other people who constantly repeat the phrase "If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all".

If I hear that one more time I swear I will fucking puke.

Ohh man if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all!

Puke away!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
so how does that make you feel

no really, I know what you mean. Oh by the way God is spelled with the big G
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh man if it werent for bad luck, I wouldnt have any luck at all

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Seriously..Some folks just deal/cope with their problems better when they don't accept responsibility for them.  A great case and point is all the feloneous downloading of copyrighted materials these days.  people justify their crimes all day.  rarely do any of these people accept the fact they are commiting a crime.
It's all about percetion.  Most folks are sheeple.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Seriously..Some folks just deal/cope with their problems better when they don't accept responsibility for them.  A great case and point is all the feloneous downloading of copyrighted materials these days.  people justify their crimes all day.  rarely do any of these people accept the fact they are commiting a crime.

Wow, that's got to be one of the fastest thread hijacks I've seen in awhile! Nice going! LOL

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
It is all someone elses fault..........

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, that's got to be one of the fastest thread hijacks I've seen in awhile! Nice going! LOL

I didn't want to really make you puke!  Glad you got a kick out of it.  Sorry bout folks being lame
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
At least the one's blaming God and bad luck are freeing up some of the blame that would otherwise go to Bush!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I totally believe in good luck and bad luck.

I know some people who do the stupidest stuff and just walk away. Conversely I know some people that are very risk averse and awful things happen to them.

I think I am pretty lucky but I am also risk averse so life has been pretty good to me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I know some people who do the stupidest stuff and just walk away. Conversely I know some people that are very risk averse and awful things happen to them.

I think I am pretty lucky but I am also risk averse so life has been pretty good to me.

I know what you are saying, but those aren't the type of people I'm referring too.

Sure people do have stretches of good and bad luck, and many times have problems (or conversly reap great befefits) due to circumstances out of their control.

Then there are people who have crappy lives because they aren't smart enough to realize that they are the ones screwing it all up.

Those are the people I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:10:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Sometimes shit just happens to good people...not bad luck, just the way it is...

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what you are saying, but those aren't the type of people I'm referring too.

Sure people do have stretches of good and bad luck, and many times have problems (or conversly reap great befefits) due to circumstances out of their control.

Then there are people who have crappy lives because they aren't smart enough to realize that they are the ones screwing it all up.

Those are the people I'm talking about.

I have personally seen many things in life that I simply cannot contribute to ANYTHING other than God. Good things, too. My problems are my own fault, by and large. I can't blame them on Him.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:14:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:14:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ohh man if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all!

Puke away!

Damnit, you took my line!

Of all the rotten luck...

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:21:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow they must be Democrats...they are now even blaming a fictional person for their problems.....

Next time they start on that, ask'em why this so-called god, if he exists, which he does not, let 19 hijackers fly 4 planes and kill almost 3000 people...and if they tell you it was a gods plan...

Then tell'em what I tell the glassy eyes that come to the door here..."Then he is guilty of pre-meditated murder."

That always stops the glassy-eyes here...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:26:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wow they must be Democrats...they are now even blaming a fictional person for their problems.....

Next time they start on that, ask'em why this so-called god, if he exists, which he does not, let 19 hijackers fly 4 planes and kill almost 3000 people...and if they tell you it was a gods plan...

Then tell'em what I tell the glassy eyes that come to the door here..."Then he is guilty of pre-meditated murder."

Free will.....ever heard of it? He won't stop people from excercising it, no matter what.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Free will.....ever heard of it? He won't stop people from excercising it, no matter what.

Who's he?..the fake person or ......?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Luck is being open or ready for opportunities
Most bad luck happens because people ignore warning signs of impending doom.

I consider myself lucky and others have agreed.  So I gave it some thought and came to the conclusion that most of the times people said, “ WOW you were so lucky” luck had nothing to do with it.  It was because I was trained to handle it or I had prepared for the unexcepted.
Case in point
A couple of months ago I was rear end by not one but two cars.  It was the AM rush hour when traffic on the interstate came to a complete stop all of a sudden.  The two cars in front of me crashed but I had allowed enough room in front of me to stop just before hitting the car in front of me.  The ass clowns behind me did not thus the car behind me hit me and the car behind him plowed him back into me.
I came out of it better than most of the others because, I gave the car in front of me 3 car lengths at 55mph ,taken driving courses;  wearing my seatbelt.  So as the other drivers were pretty fucked up I came out better than everyone else. People said WOW your lucky.

Bad luck that I was hit, NO.  The other drivers were ass clowns
Good luck I was not hurt worse, NO .  I followed my training and rewarded for my foresight.

Don’t be a dumbass and see how your luck improves. Dont get me wrong I have done some stupid shit but I try to learn and not repeat them over and over. Thus no one says " Wow your just unlucky"

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is God. He's as real as the air we breath.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#20]
[liberal whine]It's George Bush's fault![/liberal whine]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn the bad luck.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:12:52 AM EDT
[#22]
"...never move up in life."

The only place any of us are ever going to move is into the ground. We may get paid more for our work but we aren't superior to those who get paid less just different. I wish it were that easy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is God. He's as real as the air we breath.

Ummm..no I don't think so..but hey..I'm all for you wanting to believe in what you want..as long as it's not forced upon us that think it's like the boogyman...used to scare people to tow the line and cough up cash...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:23:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yea we all know what a crime it is to download copyrighted material  Do it for the children.  Don't you know everytime you download a song you are taking money out of those recording artists kids mouths?  I mean come on, how are they surposed to keep up their lifestyle of spending thousands/millions of dollars on needless shit when you are downloading their music  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:23:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Ummm..no I don't think so..but hey..I'm all for you wanting to believe in what you want..as long as it's not forced upon us that think it's like the boogyman...used to scare people to tow the line and cough up cash...

Christianity stands for freedom more than any other entity you will ever run accross, so dont worry about it ..... dont be "scared"

funny how the just the mention of God makes people think it is being "forced" on them ...

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#27]

I know some people who do the stupidest stuff and just walk away.

Ditto.  When I worked in a textile mill, I saw plenty of people that did stupid things over and over again and never got hurt.  I saw two careful guys lose fingers to equipment that malfunctioned.  One of them lost four fingers when a machine started due to a short when the power switch was locked-out.  Are you going to tell me "all of his problems were his own ... fault."

Conversely I know some people that are very risk averse and awful things happen to them.

Ditto.  A good friend of mine was killed when a cop ran a redlight.  He's still the only driver I've seen that's was more careful than me.  The same guy also lost his wife to cancer, two kids to heart problems, and finally his home to a new Interstate.  I worked with him for a while at two places that closed not long after he was hired.  The next company he worked for went out of business about a year after he started working there.  So Shamus, are you going to blame him for his bad luck?

You can tell me you don't believe in good or bad luck, but I've seen too many good people that always have bad things happen to them and too many less than good people that always come-out ahead.  I don't have any other explaination for it.z
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Christianity stands for freedom more than any other entity you will ever run accross, so dont worry about it ..... dont be "scared"

funny how the just the mention of God makes people think it is being "forced" on them ...

I'm not scared at all of it..I just think it's a load of crap'ola...

I have no need to believe in it...there is nothing that a so-called god can give me that I do not already have...good friends, good life, great family..all gotten with out a fictional person's help...

In short...happy as a clam...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, Son, that wouldn't work here in Texas!

And it really shouldn't work at all in Indiana, either! But that's just a different State, indeed.

Eric The('GlassyEyed')Hun

Oh..I would bet it would work with some people....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Well that would be if you were talking about your god which is named God. However if you were talking about the Hindu god, the it would be Budha.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I totally believe in God!

There is no such things as 'good luck' or 'bad luck' for Christians.

We believe that we are in His Hands, and that is that.

Come Hell or high water.

Eric The(GoodLordWillingAndTheCreekDon'tRise)Hun

But I don't understand. If you are in gods hands, and that is that, then where does free will come into play?

Do you not have a role in your destiny?

So if you don't believe in god, and you die without jesus being your saviour, was that because you were in "gods hands" and he simply predetermined that you wouldn't believe in him ?

That line of thinking doesn't make much sense. Why would god not want you to accept him?

Please clue me in here.

If you are
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I thought everything was Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Even better than "I have bad luck" is "it's not fair".  That phrase makes me want to bash people in the head with a framing hammer and ask "there, now THAT'S not fair, is it?"
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no need to believe in it...there is nothing that a so-called god can give me that I do not already have...good friends, good life, great family..all gotten with out a fictional person's help...

...........and it can all go in the blink of an eye. When God is ready to deal with you, you will know it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Even better than "I have bad luck" is "it's not fair".  That phrase makes me want to bash people in the head with a framing hammer and ask "there, now THAT'S not fair, is it?"

If they're really stupid, and the hammer is clean, I think it's eminently fair.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I totally believe in God!

There is no such things as 'good luck' or 'bad luck' for Christians.

We believe that we are in His Hands, and that is that.

Come Hell or high water.

Eric The(GoodLordWillingAndTheCreekDon'tRise)Hun

But I don't understand. If you are in gods hands, and that is that, then where does free will come into play?

Do you not have a role in your destiny?

So if you don't believe in god, and you die without jesus being your saviour, was that because you were in "gods hands" and he simply predetermined that you wouldn't believe in him ?

That line of thinking doesn't make much sense. Why would god not want you to accept him?

Please clue me in here.

If you are

Everyone has "free will." Even while in God's Hands. That's why the unbeliever will be judged for eternal destiny while the Believer will be judged for rewards. The Believer's eternal judgement for salvation is taken care of by Christ. Even Christians have to struggle with temptations and sins.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:36:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...........and it can all go in the blink of an eye. When God is ready to deal with you, you will know it.

There no god to "deal" with me...hate to break to you guys...but there it is...there is no gods plan...it's smoke and mirrors....a flim-flam job...there is no evidence of a god....

In short...crap'ola...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#38]
"He that sees in darkness shall one day see in light"
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I gotta flashlight...

Oh...and I won't because there is no such thing as a heaven or a hell, other than Kentucky, or a god...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I gotta flashlight...

Oh...and I won't because there is no such thing as a heaven or a hell, other than Kentucky, or a god...

Then by all means enjoy yourself, and find some spf 15,000,000
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#41]

TRUE STORY...this case was tried in montgomery county,va. courts.......parents of a 3yr old girl were convicted of her murder.....for 3 years they had kept this girl chained up in a room...just giving her enough food to keep her alive.....she was raped in every way possible......every limb had been broken at least once....her body was covered in cigarette burns.......her skull was fractured in 3 diferent places.......and thats just what the autopsy showed.....can you imagine the torture this little girl went through for her short life........WHERE WAS GOD????........WHY COULDNT HE PERFORM ONE OF HIS SOCALLED MIRACLES TO SAVE THIS LITTLE GIRL.......ive asked numerous christians this and nobody can give me an answer......all i can say is if your god lets this kind of stuff happen to children.......i dont really want any part of him!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well that would be if you were talking about your god which is named God. However if you were talking about the Hindu god, the it would be Budha.

Wrong.

Hindu dharma accepts the existence of several Gods or deities, it accepts only one God, the Supreme. Brahma, Vishnu and Siva. are not three independent and separate deities, but three different aspects of the same Supreme God, while engaged in the processes of creation, sustenance and destruction of the universe, in that order.

Buddhism is unique amongst the religions of the world because it does not have any place for God in its salvation. One very common misperception of Buddhism is that the lord Buddha was God.  In the Theravada tradition the Buddha is regarded as a supremely enlightened human teacher who has come to his last birth in samsára (the Buddhist cycle of existence). The Buddha is the enlightened one, one of many many Buddhas to follow in his footsteps.

Buddhism and Hinduism are not the same. The path of the Buddha cannot be followed if a person is deluded by the notion of God. This is why a correct understanding of all the ramifications of the God-idea is essential for anyone seeking to progress along the Buddhist path to total liberation.

I don't believe in budha, but I have to give them this, they are the most peaceful people i have ever met. Very pleasurable to be around.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I gotta flashlight...

Why...there is no heaven or hell...so why do I need a it?

When you die..you are dead..taking a dirt bath, worm food, pushing up daisies, 6 foot under, dick in the dirt, buying the farm...ect...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I gotta flashlight...

When you die..you are dead..taking a dirt bath, worm food, pushing up daisies, 6 foot under, dick in the dirt, buying the farm...ect...

If I'm wrong no biggie, if your wrong..................
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...  um no the Hindu god is not Buddha

*bangs head*
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I gotta flashlight...

If I'm wrong no biggie, if your wrong..................

Thats called Pascal's Wager and its been shown to be false.   Your bet is only true if you think that the only choices are your god and no god.   In fact there are a multitude of gods that people have faith in, many just as petty and vengeful as yours.  It also ignores the possibility there could be many gods.

In short Pascal's Wager is bullshit.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top