Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 4:27:47 PM EDT
Let me first state that I worked as a bagger in a grocery store for several months.  I was trained in the proper way to bag (cold foods together, no glass with cans, fragile items together, etc.).  I took great care to bag things properly so someone's bread wouldn't be smashed.

Now let's turn on rant mode...

Do any of these fuckheads bagging these days have a clue about what they're doing?  I've dealt with so many smashed bags of chips that I'm boiling over.

Just today, we go to the store.  I get a bunch of cilantro.  What does idiot bagger do?  He puts it in the bottom of a bag, then puts three 2.5 lb bags of frozen chicken on top of it.  Can you say flattened cilantro?

The dumbass put a glass jar of salsa in with several cans of soup.  Taco shells in with cans.  Cans in with a bag of salad.

And it seems everyone at that particular chain of stores (we have three within 20 miles) cannot bag worth a blue fuck.  And I've had it.  

I've held my tongue long enough.  The next time I see an assfuck pull that shit, I'm calling for a manager.  There is no excuse for shitty bagging.  I wonder how they would like a loaf of flattened bread and a bunch of crushed cilantro?

Sorry motherfuckers don't give a shit about anything.  Bastards....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I tell them in a calm quiet voice that if my bread gets smashed while in the bag I will hunt them down and kill them.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I tell them in a calm quiet voice that if my bread gets smashed while in the bag I will hunt them down and kill them.

Sgatr15

No, see, that's just it.  They take great care with the bread.  They make sure to put the bread in a separate bag and handle it as if it were a newborn.

They just fuck everything else over.

Damn I'm fucking pissed...<insert Howard Dean scream here>
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I just care about my bread...it was sqaure and in a loaf when I bought it so it damn well better be square and in a loaf when I get home.

Otherwise I get upset.

Don't fuck with a mans bread.

I love my bread.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
goddamn it we should have a rule in this forum against bashing grocery baggers!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Last Sarturday, $47.xx worth of grade 'A' cherries and the moron puts eight pounds of chicken breast on top.
Yes, I lost my kewl on this adventure.

Youth is wasted on the young.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Geez, if this passes for an issue in your life, you have a much too easy life.  FYI, I had a bagging job in 1971.  I took pride in my work and got paid $1.15/hour.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Its my part-time job (until I can find something better). Most of them don't give a shit because the pay is low, and just have poor work ethic. I can say I don't do any of the things you listed, because while my job sucks, I have a responsbility to do it right. Not a lot of high school/college kids care about their jobs, hate their bosses, and hate the customers too. Not all of us, but the vast majority do.

I have to put up with a lot of jackasses on the other side of the registers, but they pay me so I'm nice no matter how fucking stupid they are.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgatr15

No, see, that's just it.  They take great care with the bread.  They make sure to put the bread in a separate bag and handle it as if it were a newborn.

They just fuck everything else over.

Damn I'm fucking pissed...<insert Howard Dean scream here>

OK.......    RAAHHHH!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#9]
That's why I bag it myself. I used to bag when I was in high school and these idiots today don't have a clue. I don't even give them a chance to start bagging. I just unload everything fast and jump back by the bagging station and do my own.

My wife whips out the coupons and pays while I'm baggin and we are out in a flash. All frozen foods together, fragiles together, produce together, eggs on bottom with bread on top. I'm a happy camper and we all go home less stressed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Its my part-time job (until I can find something better). Most of them don't give a shit because the pay is low, and just have poor work ethic. I can say I don't do any of the things you listed, because while my job sucks, I have a responsbility to do it right. Not a lot of high school/college kids care about their jobs, hate their bosses, and hate the customers too. Not all of us, but the vast majority do.

I have to put up with a lot of jackasses on the other side of the registers, but they pay me so I'm nice no matter how fucking stupid they are.

You should be commended for doing a fine job. Any and all work is noble.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't want to be an asshole about it, but geez.  Turn the tables and see how those little shitheads like it.

All they're thinking about is putting a chrome fartpipe on their little rice rocket.

Just like all the shitty waiters and waitresses out there.  "Hey, I only get paid a nickel an hour, that means I don't have to do a good job!"

When I was a bagger, I hated having to sweep and mop the store.  Absolutely hated it.  But does that mean I did a poor job of it?  No, because that was my job and it had to be done right.

[Farva]Damn burger punks![/Farva]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone told you that you might have some real anger issues?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Geez!...you guys must be rich! Able to get a complete bag of groceries at once!

The bagger has no problem fitting my 3 TopRamen in a bag without damaging them.

MT
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Geez!...you guys must be rich! Able to get a complete bag of groceries at once!

The bagger has no problem fitting my 3 TopRamen in a bag without damaging them.

MT

Shit when it is $0.10 per package, just buy a couple cases and carry them out.  No bags needed.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Has anyone told you that you might have some real anger issues?

No, I just get pissed off at inane shit like this.

Damn I need a release...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#16]
When I do end up being dragged to the grocery store, I bag them myself. I once saw a show of the top baggers in the country and learned how to do it. My wife shops for groceries at Wal Mart and they only put 3 or 4 things in each bag so things never seem to get squished.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh forgot to add. If they do it again, tell them not to do it again! Don't go calling the manager in front of them because if you do, I can guarantee that your car will have a ding in it where a cart gets slammed into it, or something will get crushed on purpose. Be nice about it, and if they do it again, talk to the manager, but don't make a scene. I know too many assholes did schnanigans to customers cars or groceries because they made a scene.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#18]
geez in71 I think I got about $3/hr.  eggs always on top, jars could go in with cans, them heavy duty paper bags which we could double if requested could hold a bag of cement if needed.

Soap/detergent in with the steaks was probably the worst cardinal sin of all. Abusing fruit was up there too.

Would you like the tops off your carrots?" twist/snap "here you go"

Had a manager that used to have a thing about stacking jars on the aisle ends, crash boom break and spill on the floor and people wheeling through it.  Only good thing was butcher  had big bags of sawdust, that let you sweep most of it up and hot mop the remnants, now the guys are screwed when they get a spill."

'71 earthquake  sure was fun, spent several days cleaning up after that.  Remember how they used to put the sundae toppings, cheries on top and behind the ice cream, what do you think happens when those jars fall into the freezer and break?  sperad first and then freeze into glop.

Loaded up an older guy in two big doubled "barrel" bags, so he could carry it all out himself, had a heart attack as he walked out the door and was gone before he hit the ground.  Everything relaxed as he it.  My buddy's first day.  Let him mop that up.  He did it without complaining.  Did want to know how often that happened though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I once saw a show of the top baggers in the country

man that musta been riveting
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#20]
People don't take their jobs seriously just because they may be temporary, or they can't find anything better.  If I were a janitor I'd make sure I clean the fuckers out to the best of my abilities.  I believe it's the people that don't take pride in what they do that are responsible for the majority of bad service issues.  Some service issues are perception, those aholes spitting in customers' food (or worse), secretaries yapping on the phone instead of doing work, are but the manifestations of the common lack of respect for themselves and their jobs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#21]
i used to work in a food warehouse.  we had a store send us pictures because some asshat put tomatoes or mushrooms on the bottom of a pallet and then built on top of it...heavy stuff.  like potatoes and bananas.  the pallet tipped over inside the trailer on the way to the store.  i can't imagine anyone being that stupid to build it like that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Ever see the movie GO?

I'm not sure if I should crack up at the grocery scenes or be pissed at their characters.

Surly trailer trash w/ booger eater in arms: "You didn't double my coupons."
Clerk chick: "It's at the bottom, where it says double coupon."
Surly trailer trash w/ booger eater in arms: "Don't think you're something your not, I used to have your job."
Clerk chick: "Yeah, look where it got you."
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Work ethic has gone to shit with teens these days.

My 19yo niece is as lazy as they come.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Several years ago I had a job as a bagger for over a year.  I always bagged the way I'd bag my own things (meaning, I bagged them so that the bag wouldn't break, but there weren't too few items in the bag, and nothing would be damaged).  I also tried to put like items together, make the bags stable, etc.  Almost to a fault.  I think I took twice as long as other baggers.  While I worked at that job I saw many of my co-workers bag so badly that I felt ashamed to have that job - though I guess bagging isn't a glamorous job anyway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Not that it makes any difference,but the store I work at the ones bagging are the ones that took the really short bus.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#26]
One of the stores in my area hires mentally retarded and handicapped people as baggers.  While I think it is great that these people are working, they do a terrible job.  They are probably very dedicated and hard working, and I'm sure it makes them feel good to work.  I just do not shop there because I cannot get my groceries home without a bag tearing or something getting broken.

I also hate the checkers that want to discuss the items you put on the belt.  "Is this pizza good?  It sure looks good!"  "You use Astroglide?  Is that better than KY?"  I want to say, bend over and you will find out!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top