User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/24/2004 12:31:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
RED X, MAMA!

But I agree.  H2 is long on looks and short on Off Road Capability.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Why anyone would take a $80,000 dollar vehicle off roading is beyond my logic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
"Not certified for offroad use"
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
no to be a wet blanket but the H2 looks high centered.
also looks like if you mounted the jeeps tires on the H2 it could clear the obstacle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Because jackasses live among us.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]

The H2 starts about $50K & the regular Hummer is about $100K, but I agree with your thinking.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I was in an H2 when we got it high-centered on a ~12-14" high berm next to a small ditch while trying to turn around on a 1 lane "road" (more like dirt path).

We were laughed at for the rest of our time there for getting it stuck, too bad we'd have needed extra training to take an H1 from the motor pool instead.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I love the Jeep Scrabler.  What a cool vehicle.

Anyone remember the video of the H2 breaking its front suspension on a trail.  Funny and sad.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Jeep SUCKS!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

MUCH better question is: Why would anyone pay $80,000 (or in this case $50K) for a 'truck' that can't handle itself off road???
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
also looks like if you mounted the jeeps tires on the H2 it could clear the obstacle.

Looks like they're both wearing tires of the 35" variety to me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Fun, but what does it prove?

Are you saying Jeeps dont' get high sided on obstacles?

Dumbass drivers are dumbass drivers.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like they're both wearing tires of the 35" variety to me.

Irrelevant.  The Jeep isn't trying to straddle the stump
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one picture for all you (us) h2 haters.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Dude, get a fawking clue! Look what it's high centered on!

Dumbass drivers are dumbass drivers.

True. And the trait is only compounded when they're equally dumb enough to buy an overhyped Suburban with a body kit.

Irrelevant.  The Jeep isn't trying to straddle the stump

$50 says the Jeep wouldn't have gotten stuck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Sweet! An overhyped Avalanche with a body kit!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Heck the Libby would have made it over that!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Heck the Libby would have made it over that!hr

so would my Samurai.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a neighbor that goes offroading every weekend in a tricked out Toyota Tacoma.  He says the Hummers do good offroad but they are too wide get get through most of the trails they go on.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#23]
They really are quite ghastly... only good for the "I have more money than you" factor.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I have a neighbor that goes offroading every weekend in a tricked out Toyota Tacoma.  He says the Hummers do good offroad but they are too wide get get through most of the trails they go on.

Is that doing well offroad?

The popular offroad vehicles here in Southern California seem to be jeeps and toys. The toys often are the old ones with the solid front axle, or else they have a solid axle upgrade. They also often have shortened beds, often converted to flat beds.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I was going to post some pic's of my 95 Wrangler but no one else did.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#27]
FWIW, the Jeep's tires look like 33's to me...unless the dude locking the hubs plays in the NBA
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Some dip parked next to me in Ouray, Colorado week before last in a Hummer - he blocked access to two vehicles with his oversize scrap, and he couldn't understand why I was ticked.

The off road tour companies in Ouray mostly use Dodge trucks and Jeeps.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
FWIW, the Jeep's tires look like 33's to me...unless the dude locking the hubs plays in the NBA

Upon further research, you are correct, the tires on the Scrambler are 33's. The owner of that Scrambler also runs CJ-8.com.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Sure they look great...

Yeah, I think the current Jeeps look pretty cool, much better than the gay-looking H2.
I would be embarassed to be seen in an H2.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, get a fawking clue! Look what it's high centered on!

You miss my point.  ANY vehicle can get high sided.

The driver needs to know his capabilities and limitations.

A Jeep with the same wheelbase and clearance would do the same.

Now, better locking diff's would help, more clearance would help, and/or a shorter wheelbase might help, but knowing your vehicle would be the 1st thing to do.

$50 says the Jeep wouldn't have gotten stuck.

A short wheelbase Jeep that's been modified for offroading wouldn't have got high sided in the 1st place.  Granted.  But it can't haul as many people, or as much cargo, and it doesn't have all the do-dads and gadgets of the H2 either, now does it?

Or maybe it's driver is just a little more seasoned, a little smarter, and knows his vehicle's capabilities and limitations better.

SHOW ME A JEEP THAT MATCHES ALL OF THE H2'S CAPABILITIES.

YOU CAN'T.

NOT UNTIL THEY BUILD THE RESCUE
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Some fun stuck trucks!

Todd Keil was brave enough to send us these pictures. Ya, we know this is mostly an off-road section, but you've got to be impressed with this one. Plus, good 'ol Todd admits it was a pretty lame manuever.

Here is what he had to say. Direct from Todd, "I pulled into the local pizza joint in town and never saw the decorative boulder they had sitting in their lot. Ran right over the top of it and got stuck. Had to call the towing company to come out with their flat bed to lift it off and pull the boulder out from underneath the truck. This is not a real impressive stuck when compared to the rest of the pictures on your site. But when you consider that this is in city limits in the middle of a parking lot it makes it a little more impressive. Thanks for your time!"

Todd, we've been editing stuck pics for many years. We were just wondering what your response was the onlookers were saying, "who's truck is that?"

Eddie and his buddies were coming back from a run and these hay bails behind his buddy's house looked pretty enticing. His buddy started to push one and Eddie thought it looked fun and he tried it. The problem was his good old 'Zuk decided she wanted to go over it instead. Looks like his '88 Samurai with a big block Chevette motor, auto trans, 5.13 gears, and a rear locker rolling 33s was big enough to get up, but not down.

David Aldis writes, "This Galloper (like an old model Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun) decided to take an un-accompanied swim in the United Arab Emirates. It was parked at the top of a gravel slope, handbrake on, when the driver got out and leaned against the back. The handbrake failed to hold Jim's weight, and the car rolled down the hill, ran over the rocks, and into the water in slow motion, with Jim chasing it."

He adds, "Luckily we had two Landcruisers, a Nissan Patrol and lots of 'engineers with us. It took us two hours to get the truck out, another hour to dry it off, then it was driven back home (about two hours). Unfortunately the bottom was pretty badly bent, and it was written off by the insurance company!"

We had a reader write in, "Here are a couple shots of a truck for you. Notice that there are no license plates on this BRAND NEW TRUCK. Near a friends house in southern California, this is what we found after hearing the rumbles of a wild party the night before. Let's just say, when daddy gives you a brand new truck, don't go driving 50 MPH in his citrus groves until you know where the big rocks are!!"

Like we said, we feel sorry for the son who did this, due to the major whooping Dad must have given him the next morning. On second thought, nah, we don't feel sorry for the kid. We were thinking Dad needs to launch son's Camero through the rocks the same way. What do you think...photo opportunity here?

This is what happens when you try and show off for your friends at the infamous Dumont Dunes in sunny California. Yep, Corry Wiggersmuck of Burbank, CA was doing just fine till the '94 Ford high-centered and all forward momentum ceased. Worst of all, a Chevy pulled him off the dunes! Ouch!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

content.collegehumor.com/media/movies/hummerbad.wmv

We saw this a few months back.   As I recall, most felt it was driver error, and most any (heavy) vehicle would have suffered the same.

Fix it in place?   He's pretty screwed otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I love the Jeep Scrabler.  What a cool vehicle.

Anyone remember the video of the H2 breaking its front suspension on a trail.  Funny and sad.

Your jeep can spell?  Cool!!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Looks like his '88 Samurai with a big block Chevette motor, auto trans, 5.13 gears, and a rear locker rolling 33s was big enough to get up, but not down.

big block chevette motor? whiskey tango foxtrot?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Is that an H2 or a jeep liberty?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

www.autosite.com/images/edphotos/previews/fullsize/2005-hummer-h2-sut-rear.jpg

NOTE: That's a paved road.  How rugged.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#41]
That's probably about as far "off-road" as most of those things get anyway.  H2's (and just about any other luxury SUV, for that matter) are made for people who need a big, shiny vehicle to feel cool and attract attention.  Whoever got that one stuck was probably trying to show-off and knows dick about actual off-road driving.  Just about any vehicle would get stuck in that situation.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Have you ever riden in an H2?  4 people barely fit.  I'm 6'3" and had no head room in the front seat.  There is almost no cargo space.  They are overpriced crap.  I'd take grand cherokee LTD over a hummer any day.

No, I haven't.

I'm 6'4", so it sounds like I wouldn't fit either.

That large & no cargo space??  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
That's probably about as far "off-road" as most of those things get anyway.  H2's (and just about any other luxury SUV, for that matter) are made for people who need a big, shiny vehicle to feel cool and attract attention.  Whoever got that one stuck was probably trying to show-off and knows dick about actual off-road driving.  Just about any vehicle would get stuck in that situation.

Well said, the H2 is an all show, no go POS.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Now the H1 on the other hand would be great.

.......underpowered.............too wide............too heavy.............been rolling over in Iraq............lousy interior layout...........no creature comforts........expensive to maintain..........hey!  no live axles = no articulation

what else do they bitch about?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#46]
H2=Bling-Bling

C(ProudLandRoverOwner)W
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice touch with the blurred license plate. BTW, is what it's parked next to a commentary?

C(ROFLMAO)W
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#48]
To think a go-kart could make it over that...

I'm SURE that the original Humvees used in Iraq I were MUCH better off.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now the H1 on the other hand would be great.

.......underpowered.............too wide............too heavy.............been rolling over in Iraq............lousy interior layout...........no creature comforts........expensive to maintain..........hey!  no live axles = no articulation

what else do they bitch about?

Regarding the H1, if you think a solid axle is better for off road and has more articulation you have no idea what you are talking about.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top