Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 6:05:53 AM EDT
What is this I am reading in other threads about M1As having qc issues?

I do remember John1234's blowing up, but none other than that and I don't recall the details of his particular case.

I've put over a 1000 rds through one of mine, a standard, with no problems at all. I've used nothing but that south african/aussie stuff.

Is there something to look out for in the reciever?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#1]
btt

I would also like to know, I always thought Springfield was good.  I have an M1A standard with maybe 100 rounds through it, I would like to know of any potential problems.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've put over a 1000 rds through one of mine, a standard, with no problems at all. I've used nothing but that south african/aussie stuff.

Ditto, except it's been more like 2000 rounds for me! It's a 2002 production standard, no issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If you haven't seen this, it is worth a read www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=175433. Obviously Springfield has let a couple lemons out the door, but I suspect that it is not a major problem. A friend has a spring 2004 production loaded rifle with all commercial parts, which has been flawless with lots of rounds fired. The guys I shoot with and I have something like 15-16 M1As between us. They work as expected.

Editted to ad: USGI parts vs commercial parts (Thanks Ed!) and some out of spec receivers seem to be the biggest complaints.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
The issues stem from their cast (non-USGI) bolts, trigger groups, etc.

Their barrels and other sundry parts seem to be ok, but...as a general rule, USGI parts are better than new-made Springfield parts. This includes gas pistons, trigger groups, most parts.

I'd stock up on USGI extractors if I were you, just in case (the Springfield-made ones tend to be out-of-tolerance, and eject themselves from the bolt on occasion...)

Their bolts tend to be weaker than USGI bolts as well.

You should be able to pick up both those parts from Numrich or any other decent "we carry everything" place.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't have an M1, but I have a SA USGI .45, and an XD-9 Subcompact. They both work like a Swiss watch!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:28:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine's cool, built late last year. I worried about it upon seeing all the bashes on new production models over at battlerifles.com. I guess some of the new rifles have out of spec receivers (see below) and/or weren't put together correctly.

I asked the question "how will I know if I got a bad one" in the M1a forum here. The answer was with the rifle out of the stock (and the recoil spring removed, makes it easier), turn the rifle upside down so you can see inside the receiver. Pull the op rod back and forth, noting how deep the bolt lugs go into the recesses as you pull it back. If the cuts are deep, you should be fine (aside from breakage).

I did this test, and took it out, I'm happy with it. Shoots like a house o'fire and it's very ergonomic to me. I am replacing the rough coated stock with a walnut one though. Preference. I might sand down the rough coat on the outside to prevent it from abrading my face during recoil

HTH

Oh yeah, replace your extractor with a USGI immediately. The cast SA part is reportedly poo.

jim
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top