BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 5:09:41 PM EDT

www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0823walmart-wedding-ON.html

Couple who shop daily at Wal-Mart wed at store

Associated Press
Aug. 23, 2004 08:50 AM

BOISE, Idaho - Somewhere between the junk food aisle and the automotive department, Pat Byrd and Bill Hughes fell in love.

So it was only natural that they should marry where the magic happened - Wal-Mart.

"It never dawned on me to have it anyplace else," said the 55-year-old bride.

Neither bride nor groom work at the discount store. Still, they spend more time there than many employees do, wandering the aisles and visiting friends for up to six hours a day, nearly every day since the store opened two years ago.

"I talk to people and walk around for exercise, and we always buy a soda or a sandwich or something," 51-year-old Hughes said. "If we're not here, the store people worry about us. They're our family."

Both Pat Byrd and Bill Hughes are disabled. They met nine years ago, when Bill was a patient at a North Idaho hospital and so was Pat's sister.

"He became a good friend, and when my sister died, we kept him in the family," she said. "He doesn't drive, and any time he went to Wal-Mart, I'd take him."

They celebrated their blooming love with a ceremony Friday in Wal-Mart's garden center. The store manager was a groomsman, and a fabric department employee was matron of honor.

A garden center employee, Chuck Foruria, walked alongside Pat as she rode her motorized shopping cart down the makeshift aisle, her oxygen tank in the basket.

"Who gives this woman in marriage?" asked Stacey Garza of the Free Will Church.

"Her friends and family at Wal-Mart," Foruria replied.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Turns out I do have a life after all.

I'm glad they're happy, but getting married at WallMart falls under the catagory of "Shoot me First".
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Three words of wisdom for the new couple:

Get a life.

Thank you very much.

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Might need to stop by the pharmacy in order to get that honeymoon off the ground  

- BUCC_Guy

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#4]

weird
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard they were registered at the Circle K for wedding gifts.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Might need to stop by the pharmacy in order to get that honeymoon off the ground  

- BUCC_Guy

Clean up in aisle 3.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
If that's the Wal-Mart on Overland, I used to live about 3 blocks from there. Didn't set foot in it once in 2 years
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top