Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2004 5:14:19 PM EDT
I helped some friends of mine from my church on Saturday do some yard work around their home. They paid me and asked me to come to dinner with them. As we were leaving their home it began to pour down rain. When we arrived at the resturant I was hurrying to get out of the van and get the door closed behind me and slammed two fingers of my right hand (I'm right handed) in the van's sliding side door.

OUCH!

Thank the good Lord it was not worse, as it is I cut my middle finger right down to the bone on the top and palm sides. Only got stitched on the palm side of my middle finger......Hurt's like the devil.

Here are the results.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]
i feel your pain. I closed the door of my truck on my thumb. didn't feel it until i tried to walk away and was tugged back. I saw it in the door. My jaw dropped and i opened the door. Hurt like a SOB. keep that finger clean.

J
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
DAAMMMNNN...that sucks.  Hope ya feel better now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice one
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Ouch! Did the door actually click shut? It is amazing they are not broken.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like your trigger finger will be healed fairly quickly.....

Glad it wasn't worse.

BAN CAR DOORS!  DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Finger wounds suck
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Some hairy-ass knuckles.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Let us start a ban on sliding doors!

MT

Hope it heals well and you suffer no nerve damage!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Say, maybe you could put a warning in yer topic
That sucks, a paper cut would send me to the emergency lol.  Just kidding.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had a car door totally closed on my hand before.

I can sympathize
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I helped some friends of mine from my church on Saturday do some yard work around their home. They paid me and asked me to come to dinner with them. As we were leaving their home it began to pour down rain. When we arrived at the resturant I was hurrying to get out of the van and get the door closed behind me and slammed two fingers of my right hand (I'm right handed) in the van's sliding side door.

OUCH!

Thank the good Lord it was not worse, as it is I cut my middle finger right down to the bone on the top and palm sides. Only got stitched on the palm side of my middle finger......Hurt's like the devil.

Here are the results.

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=30558&iGalleryUnq=1174&iImageUnq=28928

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=30558&iGalleryUnq=1174&iImageUnq=28927

DUDE!! Did Stevie Wonder stitch that thing? DAYUM!!
AB
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Did we learn our lesson???

Don't go sitcking our fingers into lace they do not belong.  This includes car doorjams.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
When I read your name as the thread author, the first thing I thought of was, lawn mower. Wheehhh...
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Ouch!  That looks painful.  Hope it heals quickly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate it when that happens.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive done that myself a few years back..............Damn car doors
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#19]
The pressure cut!!  PAIN!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Jethead,

Keep that thing moist with neosporin and covered, use dermabond and gauze, then stetch wrap over the top.

Dermabond is synthetic mesh, won't stick.

I had the same wound, from a knife I ordered but came with the wrong sheath (too short).

This will make the wound heal from the inside.

Doc

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I feel the throb
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Jethead,

Keep that thing moist with neosporin and covered, use dermabond and gauze, then stetch wrap over the top.

Dermabond is synthetic mesh, won't stick.

This will make the wound heal from the inside.

Doc

Thanks Doc, that's exactly what I'm doing. You can see in the pics the Neosporin still on my fingers. I had just taken the bandages off for re-dressing.

albob:

I was not to happy with the job of stitching either. There are some buldges in the skin along the line where he closed the wound and it looks to me like there could have been at least one additional stitch put in.I didn't want to say anything because I'm white and the guy who stitched me up was black. All it takes anymore is one wrong look around here and you're a racist. I just gave it to the Lord and asked Him to help me heal right.

Only the second time in my life where I've really needed the pain pills that were prescribed.

Still hurt's like the devil.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:26:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Is the purple heart paperwork being processed yet?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Geesh, I've had a number of gashes like that and never had them stitched. Just some Betadine and good compression bandage to qwell the blood. Guess I should have had them sewn up like the wife said. Last gash was two weeks ago across the thumb knuckle closest to the palm, caught a blood vessel on top of the knuckle, bled all over the garage, wife came home and wanted to know what I had killed Taped it up & healing just fine, still aches though. Of all things to cut myself with, it was a hacksaw.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#25]
OH! boo boo ouch!  You'll be giving everyone a white bandaged peace-sign for at least a week or two.  

Hand wounds stink - they trob like crazy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:47:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#27]
So how was dinner ? Or did you have to get a rain check ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I had the dinner before I went to the emergency room. I just wrapped up my hand in a towel and went inside to eat.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hand wounds stink - they trob like crazy.

You wouldn't be interested in putting these throbbing fingers to good use would ya?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn bvm!  That looks painful.

They gave you antibiotics, I hope...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#31]
How did it feel when the doctor injected the novicane?  I'm a pretty tough dude.  But I almost shit when he stuck that long assed needle in my finger.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#32]
AUUUGGGGHHH...I am so squeamish with stitches, I don't know why I clicked on that.  Guess my curiousity overlooked your big huge disclaimer.

Hope they prescribed you something good.  Being a culinary student, I know goddamn well how much those fuckers throb and how much it limits certain things.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Ouch!!!

Hope your digits get better soon!!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#34]
looks painful, hopefully you got some good drugs in return
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm seeing a Tom and Jerry skit come to life...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Dermabond is medical superglue - not "synthetic mesh".

As to the stitches - fingers can be tricky to sew - you just want approximation, too many stitches can increase chances of infection & also hinder wound healing from making the skin edges ischemic.

Bacitracin 2x day for the first 48 - 72 hours (most wounds a sealed at that point & the bacitracin doesn't really add much  - but it won't necessarily hurt anything either), cover w/ some telfa (or other nonadherent  dressing).  Even a large bandaid will be fine.  Bulky padding (tube gauze, small roller gauze, etc..) can add some protection from you hitting it on things.

No need for antibiotics (although they should make sure your tetanus is up to date).

I cut my left thumb last christmas - sewed it up at home w/ some assistance from my mother-in-law.  Hardest part was giving myself the lidocaine :).  Healed up very well.

Sam

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had the dinner before I went to the emergency room. I just wrapped up my hand in a towel and went inside to eat.

You are a trooper. I would done the same thing. I dont eat desert but I would have gotten a little cake to go.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#38]
dessert
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Hmmm.... Ought to compare that to what Kerry got Purple Hearts for.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#40]
You may lose some feeling on your fingertips... I managed to hack open my index finger a la car door.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I cut my middle finger right down to the bone on the top and palm sides.

Quoted:
No need for antibiotics
Sam

Granted, I've been out of the medical field since 98.  But the protocols I had mandated antibiotics for a laceration that exposed bone.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#42]
that looks like a legitament purple heart to me.       mcole
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Doc prescribed an antibiotic ? Keflin? and Vicodin.

The caine injection hurt but not nearly as bad as slamming my fingers in the door. I didn't let him inject the index finger though and he wanted to put a stitch or two there as well as the 6 in my middle finger.

I think I have lost some feeling in my middle fingertip.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Photo evidence sasquatch exists, and is has an internet connection
Ouch, btw.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
That's a wimpy little cut.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=18959

I'm glad it wasn't any worse Scott. Maybe we'll have to give you a handicap at the BRD.

Bah. THAT's a wimpy little cut.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Doc prescribed an antibiotic ? Keflin? and Vicodin.

The caine injection hurt but not nearly as bad as slamming my fingers in the door. I didn't let him inject the index finger though and he wanted to put a stitch or two there as well as the 6 in my middle finger.

I think I have lost some feeling in my middle fingertip.

Yep, Keflin is an antibiotic.   And Vicodin is good stuff.

Depends on exactly what was cut as to whether all the feeling comes back.  May come back partially or completely - it's a crap shoot.

Just looked at the pic again - man, that must've hurt like a mofo!

You smashed it away from the nail, so hopefully that won't come off.

Hope it heals well for you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#47]
The nail is fine and doesn't appear to be trying to come off, no discoloration at all.

Actually it all looks much better today even after working all day.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Cool.  Keep 'er clean, though.  A bone infection (although unlikely now) is really bad juju.

Crap - here I am giving advice - after 20 yrs it's tough not to fall back into the medic role - sorry man.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Hydro Peroxide twice a day.

Covered in gauze, Neosporun and tape during the day with latex exam gloves covering just the two fingers.

Open for a few hours in the evening to air out.

Then dressed again for bedtime.

It's healing right nice.

Still got blood under the fingernails though I see from the pics. Not like I'm going under that nail with a knife any time soon though or even a brush for that matter. Still smart's a bit just to look at them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Dang - looks good.  Lucky you didn't break it.

Blue sutures - stylin'!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top