Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 9:12:17 AM EDT
Action report and after action report of a hornet strike team decimating a honey bee hive. But at least their not spiders.

postarchives.etensity.net/051004/media.php?media-=hornetsvsbees.wmv
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I watch NatGeo channel all the time and they freak me out, they rip the bees in half like it's nothing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:17:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Linky no worky?

Ditto
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#4]
off with your heads honeybees
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]

The species Vespa mandarinia is a very large-sized wasp with a Body length 27 - 45 mm; unbelievable, the queens reach  5.5 cms in length!

Additional this gigantic, voracious predator has a quarter-inch stinger (6.35mm)! People are usually not the Japanese giant hornet's prey, but those who have felt its sting describe the pain as excruciating and very painful. Masato Ono, an entomologist at Tamagawa University, near Tokyo, said it's "like a hot nail through my leg."

Vespa mandarinia is easily recognized by the head which is strongly widened and produced behind the compound eyes, first to fifth of gastral segments dark brown; with narrow yellow bands at the margins of the tergites, sixth segment entirely yellow.

When pursuing prey, they can fly distances of about 60 miles (96 kilometers) a day at speeds reaching 25 miles per hour.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.greensmiths.com/images/giant.1.jpg
big mean suckers

Is that one of those Japanese sand hornets?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Shit, I thought this was going to be footage of F/A-18E/Fs bombing Najaf or Fallujah
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
off with your heads honeybees

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Saw one take a Cicada in mid air, then drag it up the side of a trash can.
If wasps are the Skinheads of the insect world (per a Scottish comedian) then these bastards are Otto freakin Skorzeny.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone seen the wasps in Iraq?  They are HUGE!

They also have giant black bumblebees that do "follow the leader" - psycho-
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Those things dont live up north do they? I HATE anything that can fly and bite or sting at the same time. You wanna see a grown man run like a girl get me near some of those dam things! I go on  a killing sprree with bug killers and gasoline everytime I see nests of wasps, hornets, yellow jackets etc. The only thing I leave alone are bee's.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Someone make a working video link!  I want to see!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#15]
That's one big insect!  1/4" stinger!  OUCH!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Why won't the link work for me?
I keep getting a message:

Connection to site failed : CANNOT FIND SERVER (DNS ERROR)
While trying to download hornetsvsbees.wmv

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I now know what they are.
I've had these suckers around my apple trees since I bought the place.
They bore a hole in my summer apples and eat everything except the skin and core.
Looks weird having shriveled up apples hanging on the tree.
I can't cut the grass around the trees due to them coming after me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They bore a hole in my summer apples and eat everything except the skin and core.

I think you need to keep guessing.  From what I heard on a TV special these things live ONLY in Japan.  Not in Maryland.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#19]

I think you need to keep guessing.  From what I heard on a TV special these things live ONLY in Japan.  Not in Maryland.

they are here in NC
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Haven't got close enought to verify, but I think I'll pass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess I stand corrected (link no work).  I saw a special on TV about the giant hornets of Japan.  Maybe similar to these.  The people that walked up the hive wore special protective gear.  The hornets did NOT percieve themselves to be anything but the top of the food chain and when people ventured near the hive the hornets buzzed em.  They could tell they couldn't sting em so they RAMMED the people.

It was very weird and I was real glad I don't live near them suckers.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are in VA as well
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Linky no worky?

Ditto

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top