Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 4:36:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The effect will be and is that everyone sees that running for president is a fools errand.

And men who are normal and good men , but made mistakes in their life  -- will not run for the office. We will never have a good man run for the office -ever.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The effect will be and is that everyone sees that running for president is a fools errand.

And men who are normal and good men , but made mistakes in their life  -- will not run for the office. We will never have a good man run for the office -ever.

If running for president is a fool's errand, then Kerry is a poster-boy for it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Morning -

Are you at GOP HQ right now ???

Go get coffee and donuts  for the adults.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I guess I could let the local GOP use my house as HQ...as long as they don't mind my kids screaming at the top of their lungs a few hours a day.

What?  You're not hungry?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:48:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Morning -

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:19:55 AM EDT
[#7]
cyanide,you are right about the way people are trashed if they expose themselves by running for high office.it is a shame.there are few amongst us who haven't done something for which we'd be ashamed if everyone knew it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding. At various times in MA, especially during his last senatorial campaign, he has been questioned about his actions in the VN war, most notably from a guy named David Warsh, a business columnist for the Boston Globe. Warsh almost lost his job for daring to criticize Kerry about his war record. Kerry and his crew blasted this guy, called him all kinds of names, and made him look like a stab-in-the-back opposition operative, hardly the case, since Warsh is a liberal Dem, as is most anybody else who works at the ultral-liberal Boston Globe.

The support for Kerry in the media and among voters in MA is VERY strong. Kerry probably figured, "if I can get away with it in MA, I can get away with it everywhere", by questioning the patriotism and character of everybody who dares question him on it. Kerry's VN record is both his strength and his Achilles' heel, but the strength is proving illusory, and his desperation shows he knows it.

He has nothing else to run on, other than: I'm not George W. Bush. A fool's errand, indeed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
… Maybe the greatest impact of the ads will be to persuade some people, number unknown, who had formerly intended to vote for Kerry to NOT cast their ballot for him.

… Look for a discrepancy in number of ballots cast for President and other offices to see if the ads had an effect.

I agree with your first point, above.

The Democrats are being smart (if not very ethical) in trying to keep Nadar off the ballots, since I could see a lot of “protest” votes going his way.

I’m not so sure about the second point, though – in any Presidential election the voters often split their ballots as a result of local issues.

Quoted:
...And men who are normal and good men , but made mistakes in their life  -- will not run for the office. ...

OTOH, if we refuse to accept liars and frauds as candidates, maybe the parties will nominate honest and legitimate ones instead.

Our problem isn’t that our standards are too high, it’s that they’re too low.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Kerry didn't make any mistakes.  He made conscious choices.  He hasn't changed his stripes since before going to VN to now.

This is horseshit that "he made mistakes back then" and they shouldn't be talked about now.  He hasn't changed his stripes, especially the big yellow one up and down his back.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:38:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
cyanide,you are right about the way people are trashed if they expose themselves by running for high office.it is a shame.there are few amongst us who haven't done something for which we'd be ashamed if everyone knew it.

Such attitudes didn't stop the shameless Bill Clinton from running for president- twice. And he won, twice. If the Constitution didn't forbid him from running for a third term, a lot of people would still vote for him. His moral turpitude didn't seem to bother him or his supporters one bit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
OTOH, if we refuse to accept liars and frauds as candidates, maybe the parties will nominate honest and legitimate ones instead.Our problem isn’t that our standards are too high, it’s that they’re too low.

Yep, I think that is a problem in almost every country and in BOTH (USA) parties! Or do you see Bush as a honest man? Maybe honest people don't go into politics in the first place?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OTOH, if we refuse to accept liars and frauds as candidates, maybe the parties will nominate honest and legitimate ones instead.Our problem isn’t that our standards are too high, it’s that they’re too low.

Yep, I think that is a problem in almost every country and in BOTH (USA) parties! Or do you see Bush as a honest man? Maybe honest people don't go into politics in the first place?

We have a winner
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who are these men who never made a mistake in their lives?

When was that ever a requirement for the Presidency in American History?

Political ads in the 19th Century were much more scandalous than they are today!

So, once again, who were the 'good men' who used to run for the Presidency?

Eric The(Inquisitive)Hun

I never said that only good men ran -----

just that today with all the high speed news
internet
sat communications
lack of good judgment / twisting of facts /  by the media

Small imperfections in character are blown way out of proportion by the media and internet -- smearing a persons good name.  No one who runs for president has any secrets  - even secrets that do not effect the way he runs the country -- like getting blow jobs -

Anyway ETH that is what I meant.

cyanide (theattimesmisundertoodrepublican)
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We will never have a good man run for the office -ever.

Reagan was a good man. So was Ike. I happen to think that Bush Jr. is a good man. Somehow, they managed to get elected, in spite of all the vitrol.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe we should let Halliburton run the country. Even with all the price gouging, I doubt they would cost us as much as pork barrel politics.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

as usual, you have no idea what you're talking about.  keeping making a jackass out of yourself, it's entertaining
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

as usual, you have no idea what you're talking about.  keeping making a jackass out of yourself, it's entertaining

I am gonna listen to raf, I suggest you do so also.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Small imperfections in character are blown way out of proportion by the media and internet -- smearing a persons good name.  No one who runs for president has any secrets  - even secrets that do not effect the way he runs the country -- like getting blow jobs -

cyanide (theattimesmisundertoodrepublican)

Small imperfections in character?

You mean like being a habitual liar for 35 years? It is seared, seared into my memory!

Or, the constant flip-flops on the issues?

I would say these are slightly larger than "small imperfections in character". In fact I would say they are enormous imperfections in character. Which is something that no Presidential candidate should possess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top