Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 7:21:11 PM EDT
A friend has colon cancer and is going through radiation treatments.  Is it dangerous to be in close contact with him after the treatment?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Only if your sick. Otherwise no.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Other than him not feeling well, no.  The person won't irradiated.  The X-Rays themselves only affect the cancerous cells in him though may also cause tempory damage/changes.

You could be a danger to him though, as you could get him sick when he is already weak from the cancer/treatments.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#5]
i lost my wife 3 years ago to clonon cancer dont worry about bullshit like catching something from his treatment give lots of support and be a good friend its very cureable when its caught early on let him know that often after 5 years he can even get life innsurance he will bee considerd cured but tell him to get input from all the docs they dont always work together and progress is being made in leeps and bounds never take the word of just one docter they dont all keep up with whats going on
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait a second, how close do you normally get with your buddy?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thats just damn wrong man!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I know people with cancer.

They'd all call you an idiot.

Do a little research.. then ask your stupid assinine questions.

Really... where's FatMcNasty these days... he just did the Chemo/Radiation gambit...... and he's trying to get his Suzuki quad to fire it up like it used to.

If you're trying to figure out how to scam a few jumps  then you' re a dick.  IF you're trying to figure out how to live life a few more days..... then God bless you.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:24:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you're trying to figure out how to scam a few jumps  then you' re a dick.  IF you're trying to figure out how to live life a few more days..... then God bless you.

You lost me here.  Who are you refering to?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You lost me here.  Who are you refering to?

Yeah, I said WTF to myself when i read that too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:53:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:25:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A friend has colon cancer and is going through radiation treatments.  Is it dangerous to be in close contact with him after the treatment?

If he's your friend, tell him you want to support him and be there for him; also tell him you have a question about his illness you feel awkward asking. He'll tell you to not be stupid and go ahead and ask. Then his answer to your question will be no, no danger.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:09:39 AM EDT
[#13]
If he has a weak immune sysyem dont go around him if you are sick,he id no threat to you
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

he should use protection if he gets that close
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Really... where's FatMcNasty these days... he just did the Chemo/Radiation gambit...... and he's trying to get his Suzuki quad to fire it up like it used to.

Leave AR15.com and never come back.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]
The best thing to do is when you get there  is to wash your hands.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

ANd this, children, is why smoking crack is bad.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Some friend.  Youre worried more about yourself then him.  Support and be his FRIEND.  Help out or just spend some time with him.  If you treat him like a leper he will act like one.  Not good for someone who is sick and needs a good mental outlook.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Some friend.  Youre worried more about yourself then him.  Support and be his FRIEND.  Help out or just spend some time with him.  If you treat him like a leper he will act like one.  Not good for someone who is sick and needs a good mental outlook.

You know, pieeater asked a question about something he obviously does not know anything about.   Cut him some slack.   Maybe he was afraid he might get radiation on him and take it  home to his family.  My first concern about something I do not know anything about would be how it might affect myself and my family.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The only radiation treatment that presents a risk to persons other than the person with cancer is one where a radiactive material is placed in the patient.  Thyroid cancer and prostate come to mind.  After thyroid cancer surgery, the patient is given radioactive iodine.  ANy thyroid cells that escaped absorb the radioactive iodine and are killed.  In prostate cancer, a radioactive "seed" is sometimes implanted.  In both cases the radioactive sources continue to emit radiation for a period of time.  Not all that high a level but enough to keep others at a safe distance until the levels decay.

Last year, I underwent treatment which involved swallowing radioactive iodine in order to kill my thyroid.  I was warned to not hold babies or small children close to my neck, as children are the most susceptible to radiation.

If it's standard chemo, I don't believe you have a thing to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The question was more for a friend she has been sitting with him holding his hand after the treatments.I posted the question for her.He has a very positive outlook and continues to work when he can.Cancer is in his colon, liver and lymphnodes[spelling].I am hopeing for the best but it doesn't look good. Friend is 42yo LEO with 15 yo daughter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Your friend should be fine. Just make sure you don't go around him when you are sick if he is on chemo / radiation therapy as you might give him what ever you have. I'll keep him in my prayers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#24]
His cancer treatment is no danger to you. Your support, help, and understanding can be a great asset to him.  I had a long battle with cancer and my friends made a world of difference in helping me get through it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry if I was harsh but just today I met a woman who is going to die.  She is 45.  Has 3 kids, 20, 18, 17.  Firefighter husband.  She came in because she has an ovarian mass. But that is the least of her problems.  She has an advance lymphoma and the treatment will most likely be palliative and not curative.  It broke my heart.  The woman couldnt eat or drink because of the nausea.  But what made me so sad was her husband.  He is this huge guy and I cant imagine how small he must feel. So helpless.  When she was finished she wanted to go to the car to lie down.  He checked her out at the desk and this proud man started to cry.  I had to leave because I did too.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
His cancer treatment is no danger to you. Your support, help, and understanding can be a great asset to him.  I had a long battle with cancer and my friends made a world of difference in helping me get through it.

Glad to hear you won your battle, He has a  very special group of friends and we will make sure he and his family are taken care of.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You lost me bud?

I just finished Radation on the 13. Here is the leg a week later.

This is today.

When you are around your friend just make sure that you wash your hands. And make sure your not sick or been around those that have. Just give him all the support and good will you can. Attute is 90% of getting over this.
And I would like to add.... MY FUCKING LEG HURTS!!!!  And the suzuki is running great!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

WTF are you blabbing about dude? Did you accidently post in the wrong thread?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Sorry if I was harsh but just today I met a woman who is going to die. She is 45. Has 3 kids, 20, 18, 17. Firefighter husband. She came in because she has an ovarian mass. But that is the least of her problems. She has an advance lymphoma and the treatment will most likely be palliative and not curative. It broke my heart. The woman couldnt eat or drink because of the nausea. But what made me so sad was her husband. He is this huge guy and I cant imagine how small he must feel. So helpless. When she was finished she wanted to go to the car to lie down. He checked her out at the desk and this proud man started to cry. I had to leave because I did too.

My wife was a nurse for 14 years at MD Anderson Hospital, when we lived in Houston, and specialized in bone marrow transplants. She has told me way too many daily accounts similar to that one. As bad as that sounds, I'll tell you that there are victories in dealing with this disease (my own mother beat it twice-once at 75, then again at 81). Hang tough and be as supportive as you can be for your friend and his family.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Fat wow that must hurt like a bitch! Not to mention its going to leave a mark! What kind of CA did you have?  Youre absolutely correct like I mentioned before. Your outlook makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Fat wow that must hurt like a bitch! Not to mention its going to leave a mark! What kind of CA did you have?  Youre absolutely correct like I mentioned before. Your outlook makes a big difference.

rabdomiosarcoma It was wraped around 2 hamstring muscles. It (the sarcoma) and the 2 hamstrings are now gone. I have it coated in silverdine(sp) and injested 1000mg of vicoden.  MMMMMMM
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Fat youre lucky, in the old days they would have amputated the limb.  They have some limb preserving procedures now and I am glad its working out  for you.  Take it slow on the vicoden and eat with it!  But I know I dont have to tell you.  Good luck guy I am sure youll make a good recovery.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Fat youre lucky, in the old days they would have amputated the limb.  They have some limb preserving procedures now and I am glad its working out  for you.  Take it slow on the vicoden and eat with it!  But I know I dont have to tell you.  Good luck guy I am sure youll make a good recovery.

Yes I found out after the surgery that I could possably lose the leg. The Dr I got hooked up with is Ivan Krhibej(sp) at OHSU. He is a specilist in the field of removal of these thing. LOL I was cycling during the chemo. And riding quads during Radation.
Ya Cannot keep me down... Whats wierd is I get the munchies when I take the vicoden. MMMMM pork rinds.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#34]
TWO WORDS  "APRICOT SEEDS"

Do a search you will be amazed.

Friend of a friend is in jail due to selling them.

FDA and Feds shut him up.

OUT
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Sorry if I was harsh but just today I met a woman who is going to die. She is 45. Has 3 kids, 20, 18, 17. Firefighter husband. She came in because she has an ovarian mass. But that is the least of her problems. She has an advance lymphoma and the treatment will most likely be palliative and not curative. It broke my heart. The woman couldnt eat or drink because of the nausea. But what made me so sad was her husband. He is this huge guy and I cant imagine how small he must feel. So helpless. When she was finished she wanted to go to the car to lie down. He checked her out at the desk and this proud man started to cry. I had to leave because I did too.

My wife was a nurse for 14 years at MD Anderson Hospital, when we lived in Houston, and specialized in bone marrow transplants. She has told me way too many daily accounts similar to that one. As bad as that sounds, I'll tell you that there are victories in dealing with this disease (my own mother beat it twice-once at 75, then again at 81). Hang tough and be as supportive as you can be for your friend and his family.

Last week my 76 y.o. mother was diagnosed with colon cancer which has metastaticized and is now in her liver. The Doctors  have given us little hope, one year with treatment, six months  without. Words cannot describe how I feel right now.

If I may be so bold, one bit of advice;

If your doctor recommends a colonoscopy. DO IT! There is no excuse for not going through with it!

We would be having a different conversation today had my mother not declined her Doctors requests for this test TWICE in the past three years.

I don't care if that camera looks as big as the  Hubbel Telescope, if something like this can be caught early and treated your chances of survival increase dramatically
If you are inclined to,  your prayers are appreciated

George
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Hi ARDOC,

Man, I would not have your job for any money in the world sir. Doctors daily deal with both the beginning and the end of life and for myself, it would be just too hard. One of my good childhood friends is a Doctor out of Beaumont Hospital and I watch his eyes when he gets "professional" and its like a curtain comes down on his emotions. Very strange to watch him shut right off emotionally. I suppose it is the only way to survive in that sort of job.

I could not do it, and I know it. Medicine is fascinating to me, but the death part is too much. Cancer got my only brother 14 years ago. What an absolutely evil disease.

Dram out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top