Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 9:14:07 AM EDT
Just went downstairs to put some clothes from the washer into the dryer.  I heard this rattling sound and looked into the washer.  Sitting on the bottom was a .40 hollowpoint left over from shooting on Monday.  Has anybody ever accidentally put live ammunition into the dryer?  Do you think it would have gone off?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I've probably washed and dried more rounds than your average hunter will shoot in 20 years of hunting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Been there, done that, no holes in the t-shirt.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife vacuums up .22 and 9mm on occasion.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I've washed lots of ammo,  I think it actually helped the wolf ammo out (older wolf covered with some weird tacky substance)

I've even had rimfires that would shoot after a good washing. I never figured that out, I would think the bullet/case fit is too oose on rimfire and water would get in there.  But several of themwould still fire....
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#5]
It's happened.. Doesn't make me feel all warm-n-fuzzy, but my guess is the odds of something untoward happening are low enough that I don't toss on kevlar when I hear the rattle in the dryer.. And yea, once it's happened a few times you get to know that sound  Way louder than a few quarters!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I drop off my laundry and have it done for me.  One of the things I absolutely detest.  Many a time, the family members who own the laundry have handed back a small ziplock bag with rounds in it.  Always with a smile.  I usually feel like an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've probably washed and dried more rounds than your average hunter will shoot in 20 years of hunting.

Ditto!  No A.D.D.'s ( Accidental Dryer Discharges )......yet.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Back in the 80s everyone used to carry a 22LR in the levis tag on our jean jackets.  More than once I washed it, and later pulled it out and shot it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Back in the 80s everyone used to carry a 22LR in the levis tag on our jean jackets.  More than once I washed it, and later pulled it out and shot it.

Please explain why you carried a .22LR cartridge in your coat tag. I'm curious.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I had an onion on my belt, because it was the style at the time. Of course, you couldn't get white onions, because of the war. You could only get the big yellow ones. Now the ferry ride to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days, cost a nickel, but back in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Gimme 5 bees for a quarter, you'd say. Now the important thing was, I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time...  Abe "Grampa" Simpson
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Who ever taught you to do laundry?  Just read the label, most ammo is:

But watch out for the dry clean only.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#12]
What caliber is your washer? Pre or Post ban evil black dryer?

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I have no idea why everyone did it, but it was a fashion in my small Little Pink Houses indiana town.  I can explain penny loafers with no socks, but have no idea why we did it.  

This was a different America where it was ok to keep a rifle or shotgun in the rack of your truck during hunting season, and since the truck was in the High School parking lot you knew that no one was going to break into it and steal your gun.  Kids dont try that now
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Who ever taught you to do laundry?  Just read the label, most ammo is:

www.fabriclink.com/Images/labelback.JPEG

But watch out for the dry clean only.  

There's no way washers get even remotely hot enough to set off a bullet.  How would your clothes look?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have no idea why everyone did it, but it was a fashion in my small Little Pink Houses indiana town.  I can explain penny loafers with no socks, but have no idea why we did it.  

This was a different America where it was ok to keep a rifle or shotgun in the rack of your truck during hunting season, and since the truck was in the High School parking lot you knew that no one was going to break into it and steal your gun.  Kids dont try that now

I did it too, never saw anyone else do it, just stuck one in there one day to see if it fit, and it did so I left it in there. Oh, and this was while I was in high school.  I'm sure that doing this now would get you arrested
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I run everything through the dryer. Ammo, keys, knives, my zippo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top