Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 11:08:12 PM EDT
I have been pretty physically active the past few months, even more than usual. I've always been one to do lots of exercise, but I have increased the amount of stuff I do. A part of that is daily walking/jogging. This has certainly improved my overall endurance but I somehow keep managing to hurt my damn leg. The problem area is my right lower leg, the inside portion, between the ankle and the bottom of the calf (calv, calve, whatever the hell it's called) muscle. It isn't a major problem, but over the past few months it's bothered me on 2-3 seperate occasions. I don't recall injuring it while in motion. But often the day after it hurts like hell to walk. After I walk on it a good bit the pain seems to work it's way out, until I sit down again for a while. Then we I start to walk again, it hurts again until I walk it off once more. After a day or two, it just goes away completely.

The pain is sort of a sharp one that reaches it's max as I place my full weight down and start to spring off for the next step. Again, nothing unbearable, but it's not exactly pleasant either. There's no swelling or discoloration or anything like that, so I don't think I have any major damage. And the only time it bothers me at all is just when I walk. And specifically when I drop all my weight on the foot on that side and as I start a new step. I am aware of what's called shin splints, but it seems this is a bit far to the side of the lower leg to be this. So what's causing this to happen and what can I do to prevent it? Should I start skipping days between my walking/jogging routine to give my muscles more time to rest? Would stretching before and after help? Or am I just turning into an old fart and have to accept that my body isn't what it was when I was 18? LOL.

Again, no big deal, but it's just kind of annoying.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Try stretching and massage before and after
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Stretch on morning and nighttime and before and after exercise.  It will probably subside in a little while.  It sounds like connective tissue problem to me.  If it gets bad then ibuprofen will help with the temporary pain.  Not for everyday use though.  If it seems to continue to bother you then go lower impact or try a lower impact exercise ( swimming)
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/index.shtml

Without this site, I would have NEVER made it past 6 miles.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a advid runner, have been for awhile.  I believe it to be tendonitis or 'Osgood Slaughter Syndrome'.   Simply, I think you've overworked it.  Take a week off.  In that time massage, rub cream, and take some Vioxx (if avialable).  Then I would try again.  If it gets worse, try an ankle support cast.  And then if THAT doesn't work, vist a Physical Theropist.  Or just go see one right now.  My guess is...you have a calicium deposit somewhere in your leg (did you get hit or punched in the leg really bad?  Then what happens is that it causes the muscles to knot, making the tendon stretch and eventually become sore.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top