Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 4:46:53 PM EDT
With his Chappaquiddick Transportation Safety Record I don't blame them…

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
Saturday August 21, 2004
The Guardian

Senator Ted Kennedy, a man with one of the most recognisable faces in American politics, was challenged by security officials on five US flights this year because his name was on the "no-fly" list of suspected terrorists.

Airport officials in his home town of Boston and in Washington DC told the veteran senator that they could not issue him a boarding card because his name was on the list. When he asked why, he was told: "We can't tell you."

"I said, 'I've been getting on this plane for 42 years,'" Mr Kennedy told the Senate judiciary committee this week.

He was allowed to board only after an airline supervisor identified him as a US senator. He complained to the authorities, but was challenged on four more flights.

Mr Kennedy told of the difficulties he had encountered in March to demonstrate the potential for abuse of the "no-fly" system introduced after September 11. At least 350 Americans have been permanently grounded. In most cases, civil liberties groups say, banned travellers are offered no explanation.

Transport security officials said Mr Kennedy was never considered a terror suspect, but his name was similar to one that had raised concerns.

www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1287866,00.html
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
had a "liberal" friend forward this to me this AM. Here is the exchange with the names edited to protect the guilty.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 7:48 AM
To: *******, ****
Subject: RE: Becoming a Person of Interest

Either due to his driving record and/or support of a terrorist organization(providing legal counsel to IRA gun runners that were caught here in Dallas). LMAO!!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 7:39 AM
To: wganz  << --  edited from the original
Subject: Becoming a Person of Interest

>From The Register:

Database snafu puts US Senator on terror watch list

By Thomas C Greene

Published Thursday 19th August 2004 20:58 GMT

US Senator Ted Kennedy (Democrat, Massachusetts) was prohibited from flying because his name sparked a terror alert, the Associated Press reports. Apparently, the Senator's name came up on a terrorist watch list, or no-fly list, while attempting to board a US Airways shuttle out of Washington.

A vigilant airline clerk refused to allow Kennedy to board. After numerous phone calls, the Senator did manage to get home to Boston, but the same comedy ensued as he attempted to return to Washington, the wire service says.

Kennedy says it took three personal calls to Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge, and several weeks' time, to get the matter sorted out.

It is not known exactly how Kennedy became mixed up in a national terrorist database - whether by accident, or as a practical joke, or as a Republican dirty trick to keep him out of Boston during the Democratic National Convention.

In any event, the incident illustrates the preposterous susceptibility of national security databases to both snafus and deliberate abuse, though in this case it's not clear which to fault.

Software Engineer, *****
   (972) 555-1212
   *****@******.com

Funny, he never responded to my assessment. Liberals run from the truth toward lies & innuendo like cockroaches run for the dark corners when someone turns the kitchen light on at night.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet that girl he let drown thinks he's a terrorist.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I hear all the terrorists are making this list.....sssooooooooo ol Teddy [hic] Kennedy is in good company.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, at least someone knows who the bigger threat than Osama to our country is.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
www.channel3000.com/politics/3666377/detail.html

According to this Sen. Kennedy was never on the "no fly" list, he was on the "watch" list. Has to do with him buying airline tickets in cash, one way etc. Good thing we don't profile .

I do think though it is a good idea to keep an eye on him.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Teddy likes to suck down all the alcohol on board, thats the real reason why he's on the list.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder what Teddy said when they refused to let a REAL man board a flight with his Medal Of Honor? D Oyou think that Teddy had a single thing to say about General Joe Foss being manhandled and forced to throw away personal effects?

I doubt it.

Hey Teddy? How does if feel to betreated like the rest of us?

I wish that he had had a heart attack.

Worthless POS.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I like it when the elite of society get hassled ----------- means the rest of won't be done like them in the future.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Teddy likes to suck down all the alcohol on board, thats the real reason why he's on the list.

Actually I think what got him on the list was the time he knocked on the pilots door and asked "do you think we you can wait until after we land to report finding the dead stewardess"

OUCH!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Fun fact: Teddy's head can actually store alcohol when his liver shuts down. As soon as his liver is jump startd his head releases the stored booze back into his system. Boris Yeltsin is set up like this too.

Also, teddy boy has to be shipped as hazardous cargo. His girth, combined with the flammability of the large amount of alcohol in him makes him  downright dangerous.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I think what got him on the list was the time he knocked on the pilots door and asked "do you think we you can wait until after we land to report finding the dead stewardess"

OUCH!

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top