Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 11:10:17 AM EDT
I hired a tree service to come out and remove some huge dead trees that I couldn't remove myself.  The total bill is gonna be about $1000 hborTip the guys or no?
Thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending upon the risk you are getting cheap enough to tip, as normally it would be $5000 a tree.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Tip them and the car salesman.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#3]
No,

Hell no

and

FUCK NO!

I also don't tip the mailman, the paperboy, or the cashier at the supermarket.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
On a personnel opinion note, I hate gratuities and find them insulting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]
So we've got 3 people who say "Definitely tip them!" In all seriousness, thanks for the help.  I'm getting the sense it would be a bad idea to tip them?  Any other thoughts?  A cold 12 pack of pop instead?  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Just thank them for a job well done.

Do people tip you at your job every time you complete a job?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Tip??

Tell them not to overcharge CampyBob.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#8]
No tipping.  They either do the job they were contracted to do or they don't.  I think it's a good idea to have lots of cold water for them on hand.  Hey, you might want to fix them some sandwiches.  But tipping is not appropriate for this type of work.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.  I'm not going to tip them, especially after the lead guy came in the house and said "it's my last day and I don't feel like doing anything so I'm gonna leave that wood there and have some guy come pick it up in a pickup so I don't have to carry it "hy.gif
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#10]
How much does it really cost to get a tree removed?  I have a silver maple I need cut down.  It isn't huge but it's plenty big.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#11]
... I generally tip anyone providing a service IF their heart is into the effort and they do a job meeting my expectations.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I hired a tree service to come out and remove some huge dead trees that I couldn't remove myself.  The total bill is gonna be about $1000  A neighbor asked me if I was going to tip the men, I had never heard of this before....
Tip the guys or no?
Thanks.  

$1000. Hell, if it were a restaurant, I still wouldn't tip. Why would you tip  the tree guys anyway. That's like tipping a house painter/repair man/dentist. It's just odd.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#13]
$1000 for a tree..... Damn... id do it for the firewood and a six pack
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
On a personnel opinion note, I hate gratuities and find them insulting.

I don't understand them.  I only tip in restaurants because I know the servers don't make minimum wage.  It's a service.  You list a price and I pay it.  I've never gotten a tip, and I've done a lot of different jobs in my day.  

On the specific topic of tree removal, here's a story from my boss:  He hired someone to remove trees from his property.  They guy did so, but left an hour (and a couple trees) early.  My boss asked him for 2 months to come back and finish the job that he'd already been paid for.  Early one Sunday morning, the guy showed up without warning and said he wanted to put in the last hour.  Of course, he didn't bring help, so my boss had to help him.  Then he gives my boss another bill for about $400 for travel time, hauling, etc related to that "last hour" he "owed" my boss.  My boss offered him a reasonable compromise ($200), and never heard back from him.  Now he finds out the guy is suing him in small claims court!  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I got a chainsaw and would have done it myself but some of them had to be trimmed at the top (40 ft).  Hell if I'm climbing 40 ft. with a chainsaw.  

I thought tipping sounded bogus too, that's why I asked here, I had never heard of tipping people for tree service or any kind of yard work for that matter.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Depending upon the risk you are getting cheap enough to tip, as normally it would be $5000 a tree.

5000 Gs a tree , ya right .

no dont tip you settled on a price and thats that , and make sure they have insurance.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I worked for an arborist for five years.  I was literally a tree hugger by profession.  Especially on those tall skinny ones.  Seems like you got a damn good deal on the removal, but I have not seen the trees, the amount of brush they made, the log load, or the buildings they may have been next two.

We charged about about $1000 per day which included 24 man hours labor (three workers) plus insurance and cost of material

I have seen one tree cost $1500 and six cost $500.  It all depends.

I would only tip the guys if they really tried to do something extra for you.  Stuff that is not spelled out in the contract.  Like offer you the wood if it came from a decent tree and stack it up for you where you wanted etc.

My crew pruned a 500 year old oak for a lady who was a great-grandmother.  Her kids who were in their 60's-70's got together and paid for the job for their mom.  They made a picnic of it and sat on the porch and watched with interest and compliments on our progress.  They took pics of the job and even insisted they feed us lunch from their BBQ pit.  We went the extra mile and did a Class 1 (National Arbor Society designation for type of work) prune job on that tree that was not in the contract.  In this case, a tip is welcome, but not expected.  We just wanted to do right by these good people and the tree was deserving of it also.

We each got a 5 dollar tip for beer that evening.

My story and two cents.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't tip workers that do stuff at my house but I usually offer them sodas and if they are really doing good work I might buy them lunch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top