Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 10:01:16 AM EDT
Hopefully not a dupe

Kentucky Bear Killer Goes on Trial
Friday, August 20, 2004

LETCHER COUNTY, Ky. — Generally speaking, you have a right under the law to use reasonable force to defend your life, your family and your property.

But what defines a legitimate threat if you come across a bear?

That's what a Kentucky jury must decide when Terry Brock goes on trial in September for killing a 250-pound black bear (search) in his backyard.

Over the last few decades, the black bear has been on the comeback in Kentucky, after years of over hunting almost led to its disappearance. But the animal remains protected because the population is still slightly less than a thousand.

Brock says he regrets shooting the bear, but that it was swatting his dogs, and had his horse so spooked he feared it would break its leg.

He says he tried to scare the bear off by banging on his mobile home, and that his wife called the Kentucky Department of Wildlife (search) for advice. In the end, Brock claims the bear left him with no other choice, because it seemed ready to attack.

But according to the state the evidence suggests otherwise -- the black bear seldom attacks people and is a shy creature by nature.

If convicted, Brock faces 30 days to a year in jail and a fine up to $1,000. Brock says the thought of jail scares him -- but not as much as the bear did.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#1]
How would anyone even know?  

Did Jethro actually REPORT this himself?  

And reasonable force applies to people, not a bear.  

I wonder what is the charge?  Poaching?  Shooting a bear out of season/without a license?

The defense should have a field day with this if the facts are as suggested; that the bear was attacking the dogs and damaging property.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#2]
There's no need to shoot critters.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh that is the last straw...ban bears!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

"Assault Bears"
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]
There is always two sides to a story
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok. This is not a difficult thing.

Large powerful carnivore in your backyard = Dead bear.

I don't care if they are protected or not. If they have so little fear of people that they will wander into someone's yard (and they do that frequently around here) then you are justified in killing the animal.

A bear that isn't afraid enough of people to stay away from them is a threat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#7]
There are only 2 sides to a story if the second party is alive to tell their side......
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There is always two sides to a story

Yeah, but its to late to ask the innocent bear who was murdered.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't believe you panzies are whinning over a dead bear!

Most of you would gladly shoot a 90 pound crack addict that tried to take your wallet, but when a 250 carnivore ambles into your domain and refuses to leave, then it's murder to shoot it.

I'll tell ya what, a black bear is WAAAYYYY more dangerous than a crack addict!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Great, what am I going to do with my Bear now?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#11]
The guy was probably set on bagging himself a bear and didnt seek other alternatives like firing a warning shot and such.  Just guessing to which why they would want to charge him
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#12]

They'll have a hard time convicting him in a jury trial  (Unless there is a whole lot more to the story than this, and they load the jury with PETA assholes.)
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They'll have a hard time convicting him in a jury trial  (Unless there is a whole lot more to the story than this, and they load the jury with PETA assholes.)

yeah WTF is up with peta do they expect us eat fucking grass all day or something
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#14]
So..

Do you think he get's to keep the bear meat?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
There's no need to shoot critters.

Exactly.

He should have offered it some bear kibble and had a loyal pet for life. Just think: now some little girl is probably missing her pet bear.

At the very worst, he should have live-trapped it and turned it over to animal control.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great, what am I going to do with my Bear now?

Your current bear will be grandfathered.

You will still be able to obtains bears after the ban, but if they have detachable magazines, then they will not be able to have flash hiders or bayonet lugs. Also, the bear must have a sporting purpose as determined by some asshole bureaucrat (beareaucrat?) in Washington.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Any bear that will come into somebodys yard is obviously not afraid of humans and should be DESTROYED immediately!

For the childrens sake, of course
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#18]
WTF??

If (hypothetically) I ever killed a protected animal that was threatening me or mine (family, animals, property, whatever) I would follow these procedures:

1. SHOOT

2. SHOVEL (or in this guys case, backhoe)

3. SHUT UP!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#19]

I'm also betting it's a misdemeanor of some sort (< 1 year jail)   Because  I really doubt that  they would ever get a true bill on a felony charge from a grand jury in rural Ky on this.

INAL, and I don't play one on the net either. But I was a grand juror.  We would have no billed something like that in about two seconds, just beacuse the asshat prosecutor wasted our time with some petty BS.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
WTF??

If (hypothetically) I ever killed a protected animal that was threatening me or mine (family, animals, property, whatever) I would follow these procedures:

1. SHOOT

2. SHOVEL (or in this guys case, backhoe)

3. SHUT UP!

The Three S's
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I love PEOPLE  EATING  TASTY  ANIMALS
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Jebus H Christ,

Are you kidding me.  A 250lb predator is in my fucking back yard with my animals and I'm supposed to do what.  Have a reasonable conversation with it?  Explain how I don't like bears in my yard?  Fire a warning shot? Shoo it with a broom.

People lost thier damn minds?

Any of the following show up in my yard they die if I can arrange it.

1.) Bears of any type
2.) Cougers, Lions, Tigers, Bobcats
3.) Alligators, Boas, Pythons
4.) Large aggressive canines of any type

This isn't lala land.  These things are dangerous animals and I have no damn idea what on their mind today.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah WTF is up with peta do they expect us eat fucking grass all day or something

Yes, as long as no insects were harmed or sprayed in the eating of the grass.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#24]
What is that famouse line JBTs use to get out of killling Rover?? "He was comming right for me I was afraid for my life!!!"

So if it works for JBT's it has to work for regular citizens, Right??....

ETA: I saw them use the same line on South Park and it worked there too!!  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I saw a show on Canadian polar bears one time where a bear had broken in the door of a small home and the woman inside was being read the riot act for shooting the bear. Shit like this just blows my mind.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I saw a show on Canadian polar bears one time where a bear had broken in the door of a small home and the woman inside was being read the riot act for shooting the bear. Shit like this just blows my mind.

Think I saw that too. She was holding an FN FAL wasnt she? If not this must have been in Alaska or something that I saw this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Who is representing the dead bear's poor disenfranchised family?  ACLU, SPLC, or maybe John Edwards - he speaks with dead people, ya know.

I wanna know.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#28]
All really depends .  I don't have the slightest problem with shooting it,  but if the game warden showed up and there was the smell of bear stew thru out the house and a hide stretched on a tanning rack out back,  I'd have some concerns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top