Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2001 2:55:37 PM EDT
Wasn`t going to bother posting it but...was in a shop last week, happen to be looking at a sar....2 guys, well dressed, walking around the store. one of em` walks up and starts asking me all these stupid questions like...why do i want one of those....where do you shoot them etc...i asked him what he was up to and he says just thinking about buying something....and walks away....now i`m watching these two guys, and after a brief discussion with one of the counter guys, they leave....asked the counter guy who they were, and he says.. don`t know...seemed awful strange, since i never had this type of conversation in a shop. the guy either knows something about the gun.. asks about the gun or whatever...not where do you live and shit like that! am i paranoid or what?.....
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If they were "well dressed" they might have been FBI.

Not ATF tho. they dress like shit. Every day is "casual day".

Only time I've seen them in a suit is in court. Sometimes only the SAC wears one.

D.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Paranoid: An irrational fear.
Paranoid....., yeah, that's the ticket!

Actually, an incident like that, should send up a red flag for any RATIONAL person.

Mom always said "Don't talk to strangers"!
GCF
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
You got it FEDS. They allways ask the wrong questions.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys know what i mean about people you find in a shop....you can always tell who belongs, who don`t, and the who don`t crowd never really say much.....these dudes gave me the "creeps'.... just wasn`t right.....[dracula]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I can promise you that ATF agents do not look like everbodys Idea or Stereotype of a FED. I unfortunatly know some of these guys and and the ones I have seen were way to slick to be pulling some shit like you are talking about. I have had some rough looking duds come in and ask if I had any guns that were not on the books. They said they would pay a premium for them. I told them I could not help them out. I was born at night but not last night. If you are not breaking any laws you have nothing to fear. But don't ever let looks deceive you.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
At a fun show right before the fed ban, I was looking at the nesard crap and this guy dressed like a typical yuppie (red baseball hat with some wierd symbol, tan dockers, and matching beige London Fog type windbreaker) comes over and just starts talking to me. He says he has a "gun seller license" and wanted to know how to put together AR15's. He also asked if the "barreled parts" had to be registered. I mean stupid crap that anyone with a "gun seller license" should know. After playing his game for a few minutes he comes out and asks "How easy are they to convert to machineguns? Do you know how to do it?" I was going to tell him "go ask the your handlers or the people that work in your evidence lab", but I just said "I don't know" and walked away. I didn't see him wandering around the show at all but was just hovering around the same area all day trying to talk to other attendees, presumably to find a Randy Weaver type to entrap.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By The Beer Slayer:
you should have had some fun with them. Told them you were buying several of them to stock your compound you were building just outside of town.
View Quote
                                             Man, that would have been GREAT! problem was, i had no clue who they were, and if they were locals of some sort, i didn`t want them to piss me off by flashing a badge and asking for drivers liscence, permit or whatever...it wasn`t the guys appearance that got me, his attitude and "line" of questioning was off!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not ATF tho. they dress like shit. Every day is "casual day".

Only time I've seen them in a suit is in court. Sometimes only the SAC wears one.

D.
View Quote

When I got my FFL, they wore suits to my house. That was almost 20 years ago, things may have changed.
Eric
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By black&green:
You guys know what i mean about people you find in a shop....you can always tell who belongs, who don`t, and the who don`t crowd never really say much.....these dudes gave me the "creeps'.... just wasn`t right.....[dracula]
View Quote

Which shop was it. I am in NY also.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Buffalo gun center......i don`t go there too often, it`s a bit of a ride...but they do sell everything....looked at some dpms rifles too....but when i bought my armalites, they didn`t have any......got em` out in the sticks!!!!!! they always have a few springfield m1`s..my guess is that a lot of people around the city have m1`s  (m1a`s i mean)....[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
It may not have been Feds, but you're right to steer clear.  I've run into these types at gun shows myself.
Link Posted: 5/31/2001 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I always go with what my gut tells me when things like this happen.  They probably weren't FEDs or ATF or anything but it's a good practice to avoid people or a situation that for some reason or another just gives you the creeps.  I'd say 9 times out of 10 you're right.  It's better to cover your ass then to keep it in the breeze.  Also, it was probably best you didn't mess with them.  You know, kinda like yelling bomb in an Airport as a joke....  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top