Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/19/2004 6:01:56 AM EDT

CNN's Kianne Sadeq, who is inside the compound with other journalists at the invitation of al-Sadr's militia, reported persistent sounds of mortars and gunfire and many explosions and devastation to the streets, homes and businesses around the mosque compound.

Two of the mosque's minarets have been damaged in recent fighting, and al-Sadr loyalists said a clock in one of the towers caught fire, Sadeq reported. The mosque is one of the holiest shrines in Shiite Islam.

It was unclear whether the fighting signaled the start of an Iraq-U.S. offensive against the fighters.

Iraqi officials have threatened to "liberate" the mosque with a military offensive if al-Sadr and his forces don't leave and disarm.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Somebody fell asleep with a lit hash pipe in his hand.

Fixed it.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe those pagan morons really did open the gates of hell. No surprise that they'd be in "the holiest site in Shiadom."
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#5]
hey Akmed!  Watch this.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Maybe those pagan morons really did open the gates of hell. No surprise that they'd be in "the holiest site in Shiadom."

Would be pretty cool if the very Prince of Darkness popped in to pay 'em a visit just so they know exactly whose side God is REALLY on.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Uh, why is there even smoke?  I thought nuclear weapons would not produce smoke initially, just lots of firestorms?

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#9]
[scooby doo] Ru-Roh!![/scooby doo]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:07:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm sick of hearing about all these "holy" sites. We should make them holey alright.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

"I don't care who you are.  THAT'S funny!"

<80s rap> the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.  we don't need no water let the motherf***er burn! <80s rap>
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Uh, just a FYI, as your ignorance is showing, but Islam and it's followers are closer to good christian, than Pagans, in fact, don't they worship the same diety?

Pagans don't.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#13]
CNN? WTF?  Drop CNN and watch FOXnews.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#14]
'bout damn time  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
you can't bring fire in the mosque!!!

Bwah ha ha ha ha!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, just a FYI, as your ignorance is showing, but Islam and it's followers are closer to good christian, than Pagans, in fact, don't they worship the same diety?

Pagans don't.

Uhhh, no, as a matter of fact they do not.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

you do know that allah is the same God we pray to, right???
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:14:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pagans don't.

Historically, in Christian parlance, a pagan is someone who practices a non-Judeo/Christian religion. And to start a rip-roaring thread hijack, no, Muslims don't worship the same God as Christians and Jews. Allah is a recycled Moon God selected from the animistic pantheon of pre-Islamic Arabia.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pagans don't.

Pagans have more in common with modern day Christianity the muslims.

Muslim worship the "Moon God"

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:16:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I kinda would like to see the explosion first THEN the smoke.

Die MFer's Die
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IBTETH.

Tell me about your friend Michael, and I'll tell you about my friend Michael.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I don't care who you are.  THAT'S funny!"

Very seldom does anything good happen AFTER these words are spoken!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Wrong. The God we pray to claims that the Bible is His Word. He never said anything about the Koran being a part of it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
hey Akmed!, hold my fallafel and watch this.....

Sorry Stari..made a small correction..
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Does anyone know how many "holiest site" in all of Islam they have?? none, or too many...either is correct, depending on your perspective It seems every block rathole that someone shoots at our guys from is "the holiest site."  It's starting to sound like a scam to me--"Oh, you must not shoot back--that is most holy site.  Matter of fact, it most holy site in all of Islam. You no shoot."  If it's so damned holy, why are THEY using it to make war from?? surely they don't lie about such things.... If *THEY* treat their "holy sites" with such disrespect, why do *WE* have to honor them?? politically correct warfare?

I've wondered the same thing.....If we wanna be PC, tell 'em to choose ONE most-holy site....and out  of courtesy, we'll destroy it LAST.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pagans don't.

Umh, yes they do.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umh, looks like they really don't.  Embarrassing, no?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pagans don't.

Umh, yes they do.

The media indoctrination has worked well on some of you. Read the koran, all of it, then decide.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does anyone know how many "holiest site" in all of Islam they have?? none, or too many...either is correct, depending on your perspective It seems every block rathole that someone shoots at our guys from is "the holiest site."  It's starting to sound like a scam to me--"Oh, you must not shoot back--that is most holy site.  Matter of fact, it most holy site in all of Islam. You no shoot."  If it's so damned holy, why are THEY using it to make war from?? surely they don't lie about such things.... If *THEY* treat their "holy sites" with such disrespect, why do *WE* have to honor them?? politically correct warfare?

I've wondered the same thing.....If we wanna be PC, tell 'em to choose ONE most-holy site....and out  of courtesy, we'll destroy it LAST.

Just as a courtesy!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

A popular misconception.

Allah and Yahweh are DEFINITELY not the same person!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Historically, in Christian parlance, a pagan is someone who practices a non-Judeo/Christian religion. And to start a rip-roaring thread hijack, no, Muslims don't worship the same God as Christians and Jews. Allah is a recycled Moon God selected from the animistic pantheon of pre-Islamic Arabia.

I see you've been doing your homework!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A popular misconception.

Person?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pagans don't.

Umh, yes they do.

No they don't, the term God that islam uses is not the same God Christianity uses.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:26:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Let's get back on topic here and discuss what really matters.

Now, any updates? Is this fucking building still standing? Is there anyone still breathing inside it? If so, add some gasoline, stir and serve. We need to finish it this time. And we need to do so decisively. No more screwing around. Let's lay waste to those shitstains.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Um...the God I worship -the ONLY GOD, the ONE TRUE GOD.....he sent his Son to die for my sins, and yours.

Did Allah do this? Does the Koran mention the son of Allah dying on a cross? Did it mention that He arose again 3 days later?

<----didn't think so!.......

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
you can't bring fire in the mosque!!!

You know you've been here way too long when this statement has meaning; nobody has to explain it to you, and makes you laugh really hard.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#40]
On a related note, I was in Israel when that gang of Pallis was holed up in the Church of the Nativity. The Jews around me (the ones who didn't just assume I was Jewish) were very sympathetic, because the papers described the spot as "one of Christianity's holiest sites." I had a tough time explaining to them that most Christians don't recognize the concept of "holy places" the way that Muslims apparently regard Mecca or the way that Jews (over there, anyway) think about Jerusalem and especially the Western Wall. It'd be a shame if the Church of the Nativity (or the Vatican, or any other church) were destroyed, but they're just buildings. It isn't an affront to God any more than destroying any other property that belongs to someone else. They were baffled.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#41]
If it is the SAME God, then why does he say such DIFFERENT things?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#42]
I just went to the CNN website, and their top story is still about Al-Sadr agreeing to a peace deal.

Edited:  That's odd.  I just went to the website again and it's still the same headline, but when I reloaded it the top story was about the fire in the mosque.  Either my computer had the entire website in cache and loaded it from there (which it shouldn't since I clicked on CNN from the pull-down menu and it's supposed to frickin' OPEN the website), or they updated it in the last 10 seconds
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Not much on Fox yet. Just a little video of LOTS of smoke.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Maybe the're having a traditional pork roasting
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#45]

Git Some!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's an interesting piece by the Rev. Donald Sensing on the differences between theGod of Jesus, god of Mohammed.  Excerpts:

Islam insists that it is the primeval religion of humankind. Islam includes within its ranks such familiar figures to Jews and Christians as Abraham, Jacob and Jesus. But here is a critical point: Islam insists that Abraham, for example, was not a proto-Jewish patriarch, but a Muslim. Jesus was not the Son of God or the Jewish Messiah, he was a Muslim. Example: Submission.org explains,

The Quran, informs us that Jesus was a human messenger of God whose sole mission was to deliver God's message; he never possessed any power, and is now dead (4:171, 5:75, 117).
Obviously, Christian beliefs about Jesus - and what God was doing with and to Jesus - cannot be true if the Quran is true.

More:

Love marks the key distinction between the Allah of Islam and the God of Moses and Jesus. For in Islam, Allah does not demand love, but submission. Judaism and Christianity teach that one submits to the authority of God out of gratitude for the redeeming works God has already done and in trust that God will continue to redeem. Obedience springs from love. Submission is the result, not the cause, of the saving acts that God has already accomplished.

This is a critical point:

In Islam, Allah does no saving acts except to accept human submission.

In Christianity, submission follows salvation; true also in Judaism, in which the children of Israel decided to accept the Lord's precepts and commandments after they had been delivered from bondage in Egypt.

In Islam, salvation follows submission; salvation is a reward for human works. (It was explained that way to me by a Muslim university professor). But in Christianity, salvation is a pre-existing fact springing from the love-impelled work of God, to which all persons are invited to share by grace through faith, followed by good works done in thankfulness and trust.

Love is attributed to Allah in the Quran, but not frequently. The anonymous writer of the no-longer-active blog, Secular Islam, listed just eight verses which mentions the love of Allah (there are hundreds of such verses in the Jewish and Christian Scriptures). But in every verse listed, Allah’s love is conditional on human submission. Both Judaism and Christianity, on the other hand, understand that God’s love precedes, not follows, human devotion back to God or obedience to God. In Islam Allah’s love is reactive while in Judaism-Christianity God’s love is proactive, to the point where Jesus even taught to love your enemies and do good to those who harm you. But this teaching is antithetical to Islam.

Rev. Sensing makes an excellent argument that, despite what others state, the God of the Jews and Christians and Allah are not the same god. He concludes:

Never could a Muslim proclaim in Islamic faith, as Martin Luther did in Christian faith, "Love God and do what you want." No such freedom is permitted in Islam. But in Christianity (and I think, Judaism, too) freedom is central to the religious life: "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free," said Jesus.

So, is the Allah of Islam and the God of Judaism-Christianity the same God? We agree that there is one deity, but what we each claim to have received in true revelation from the deity about himself diverges at utterly crucial points, so divergent and so crucial that both cannot be true. One picture is false, a portrait of a deity who in fact does not exist. I am not interested here in being "tolerant" and "accepting," I am intensely concerned with being correct. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord of Abraham, Jacob and Jesus, and reject that Allah exists at all.

Seems a reasonable position to me.  

(But then, I reject the whole idea, myself.)
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:48:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A popular misconception.

Person?

Yes, indeed.  That's "person" as in having the characteristics of a personality.  Not an impersonal force as in some new age type religions, but a cognizant, reasoning, caring person who desires to have a personal relationship with you.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Islam is not a new religion. It is the completion of teachings of Prophets Abraham, Moses and Jesus, all of whom preached that God is One and has no partners. It is tolerant and respectful of all other heavenly religions and their followers who share the belief in the One and only God. The Holy Koran teaches: "There is no compulsion in religion. Righteousness is now distinct from error. He who disbelieves in the idol and believes in Allah has grasped the firmest tie that will never break, Allah is Hearing, Knowing.” Koran 2:256

www.allah.com/

you boys really need to know what you are talking about

There is absolutely no difference between Allah and the God of Abraham, Moses and Jesus . Muslims do not believe that Prophet Muhammad was the only prophet; rather they believe that he was the last of the prophets of the Old and New Testaments. The Holy Koran is the revealed and sacred scripture of Islam, and it teaches: "Say (O Muslims), ‘We believe in Allah and that which is sent down to us, and in what was sent down to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob and the tribes; to Moses and Jesus and the prophets of their Lord. We do not differentiate between any of them, and to Him we are submissive (Muslims.)” Koran 2:136.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#50]
'Mortar Fire'...

Ya... And who's the one playing with mortars over there???

Why that would be Al Sadr's goons...

I'm guessing they lit their own house on fire too...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top