Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 1:56:03 AM EDT
Issue Date: August 23, 2004

That’s a knife …

New from Victorinox, the Swiss Army company, a knife so hot it must have been designed by Q himself.

Called the Swiss Memory, this thing has everything you need to spy on the Democratic National Committee, destroy the Death Star or simply carry your PowerPoint presentation to the daily ops brief.

Among the various bells and whistles that come standard on Swiss Army products is an internal Memory Stick, 64 megabytes of memory with a Universal Serial Bus connector. Plug it in, download the goods and be on your way.

Sounds handy.

It also comes with an average-sized blade, nail file, screwdriver, scissors, tactical red LED flashlight and a retractable ball point pen. Perfect for putting some MacGyver back into your boring round of staff meetings.

How well does it work? Good question. We tried to get one and discovered they’re on back order. Maybe your local retailer has one, assuming you’re willing to shell out the $69 to give it a whirl.

Sounds expensive. But nobody said the spy game was cheap.

Full review at:
www.techtastic.ca/reviews3/swissbit.html

Swiss Army web site:
www.swissarmy.com/webstore/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=4068&category=39
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Trendy junk.  I would give that memory card maybe a week or two of bouncing around in a pocket before it crapped out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:02:17 AM EDT
[#2]
actually those little memory chips are pretty hardy, I have a 1GB on my keychain that gets banged around quite a bit and no problems yet. I've had it for 9 months now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:25:03 AM EDT
[#3]
useful to those that don't fly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the idea but I upgrade my memory card much more often then my knife.
I will stay with my stand-alone usb fob.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
It'll be worthless when you're forced to leave it at airport security.  Might as well attach it to a Glock.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:55:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I fly with weapons wherever I go (it's called 'checked luggage' boys).

This is mostly a gee whiz type item anyway - for all the reasons stated above the fobs are hard to beat.  BUT - in the cuthroat world of geek marketing and/or development, having one of these (and your co-workers having not one of these), it could quite possibly put one up a rung or two higher on the geek ladder.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
useful to those that don't fly.

Get your private pilots license.  I carry my gun and dog right to the plane and fly.  No waiting in lines.  No lame ass security.  It costs just a little more(After you pay for your training) But it is well worth it and fun to boot!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Great. Even MORE things that will scrutinized when going to the data center.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmmm, memory stick attached to long lever .... I give it two weeks before someone snaps the memory stick off the knife or worse yet screws up their USB port in the process.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]
How much weight can you hang off a USB port before you break a solder joint or something?

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not real tech savvy , so this memory thingy tells you where you left your knife??

GM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top