Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 6:41:23 PM EDT
As my father in-law has alot of property as do many of my friends    
(I live in a fairly rural area)
I have never actually been to a Shooting Range.
Is it just me or do any of you just go outback and blow off a few rounds,
or just decide to "go for a walk in the woods" and bring the rifles with you?

Not as if I have anything against public or private ranges.
I have just never been and wondered what the atraction is?
(..besides it being the only place to shoot if you live in a city..)

There are Tons of them around here, and I have been thinking of going and
checking them out.  
Soooooo.....What should I expect?  What  am I missing out on?

Nutz...out...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]

I spend a decent amount of time just
shooting the shit with people. I don't
hang out in gun shops or the like so
that is my main interaction with others
in the hobby.

Oh, and it's the only place I can shoot.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I spend a decent amount of time just
shooting the shit with people. I don't
hang out in gun shops or the like so
that is my main interaction with others
in the hobby.

Oh, and it's the only place I can shoot.

Most of the Shop owners around here are just asshats so I dont hang there either.
(one of em still ows me my deposit on a Rem.700 back,  bastard "got into tax trouble" and then moved)
Thats to bad I think shooting on private property would be much more fun
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What  am I missing out on?
Nutz...out...

You're not missing a damn thing!

I go to a range only because everyone I used to know who had the kind of open land you are talking about has either died or their land was turned into a housing addition, shopping mall, etc.

God, I miss the good old days just taking a walk in the woods with a rifle and so far away that nobody cared. Thoughts from the restless soul of a confirmed "Barnyard Ballistician"
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot almost exclusively at an outdoor range. Local Gun Club, actually, with outdoor facilities only. My club is a little unussual, as it is quite small. The rules are few.

Lock the gate when you leave.
Shoot toward the berm.
Clean up your mess.

I think the last two are optional.

I have never shot at an indoor range, or at a range with Range Officers present. I find myself sometimes dumbfounded when I read a thread about some guy's fun trip to the range that involves Cease Fires and some dillweed up his nose for this or that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If I had a place that I could go and walk the woods w/ my rifle or just shoot out my back door without fear of having the neighbors thinking Iraq has invaded, I would.  Unfortunately ranges are the only place close to me that I can go and shoot freely.  I can drive an hour and a half and make it to my family farm, but for something quick, I'll drive 15 minutes to the range.  Someday I'll have my 1000 acres of land that I can do as I please with!!

Nick
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Most of the Shop owners around here are just asshats so I dont hang there either.
(one of em still ows me my deposit on a Rem.700 back bastard "got into tax trouble" and then moved)

I finally found a good shop in my area with some
good guys running it, but I just don't want to be
one of those gun shop groupie dudes.

Quoted:
Thats to bad I think shooting on private property would be much more fun

It would be more fun, but when you don't know
anyone who does not live in a condo, your
locations are kind of limited.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
If you go to a semi private range (members and member guests only) it is not bad. When you go to a public range, all the riff raff is there and you have to wait for a spot, deal with idiots, and wait till it is safe to go downrange. You're not missing anything really.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Never been to the range in my life (no guns)
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you go to a semi private range (members and member guests only) it is not bad. When you go to a public range, all the riff raff is there and you have to wait for a spot, deal with idiots, and wait till it is safe to go downrange. You're not missing anything really.

+1

Private range all the way, for all the reasons
stated above.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Count me among those whom have never shot at any organized range.

I just drop an empty pop can and start shooting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Well hell I guess I was right all along!

Thanks fer yer replies so far guys, I am thinking twice now...

...if it aint broke dont fix it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I only go to the range when the weather is really bad.

But the smaller ones can be nice to shoot at, especially if you want to rent and try out a possible new gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I've only ever shot at a shooting range three times.  I prefer shooting in the desert without the rules and regulations of a shooting range. I just think shooting ranges are too restrictive  and too formal for my tastes. I like the relaxed atmosphere of do whatever the hell I like in the desert with friends. I can bump fire, rapid fire, shoot off a hill, go prone, kneel, shoot sodas, fruit, or whatever. There are also no fees. There's just so much more freedom.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I only go to the range when the weather is really bad.

But the smaller ones can be nice to shoot at, especially if you want to rent and try out a possible new gun.

IM on the way...

You can RENT weapons at a Range? hmmmmm......That would definatly be one in the + column.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
No range for me either. My next door neighbor has 32 acres. A 5 minute drive puts me in his hay field with markers out to 300 yards.  His last cutting of the year was 3 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd never shot at a real range until earlier this summer.  My family owns about 300 acres of land outside of Laramie, WY, so I've been shooting up there since before I could walk.  Ha.  I really hate ranges, though.  No freedom, cost too much, and too many people.  Just not fun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I have never been to a "range", I have seven thousand acres at my disposal, I hunt, fish, hike, ride my ATVs and shoot as I please, I'm a member of a local hunting club.  It cost $385 per year, worth every penny..
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No range for me either. My next door neighbor has 32 acres. A 5 minute drive puts me in his hay field with markers out to 300 yards.  His last cutting of the year was 3 weeks ago.

Yep, nothing beter then a hay field, WAY beter the a Corn field
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Last time I was at a "range" was 1969 when I completed my firearms safety
course. Since then has been private property.

GM
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Again THANKS fellas, you have probably saved me a waste of my time and money...
...aside from  SS109's comment about Renting guns I have writen it off.

Nutz...out...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got my first rifle, Im trying to find an experienced shooter in my area to show me the basics as I dont think it prudent to go ghetto blasting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Public range (and I figure you're talking outdoor):
- Clearly marked ranges (25yd, 100yd, 200yd, etc)
- Usually a range officer controls what's going on.  If you go out to the woods to shoot and bubba shows up and he's a jackhole you pretty much have to just leave or put up possibly getting shot by a moron.
- Other guys to talk with and check out their weapons.  Last time I talked to an older guy shooting something like a .375 and .4-- something and he told me about hunting in Africa.... I dunno interesting stuff here and there.
- I really have no where else to go, unless I want to drive pretty far!!

IF you go to a range, read the safety rules!!! So many times newbies come and the RO yells at them nonstop because they are handling their weapons on a cold line, etc.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I went to an indoor range with a friend just to try out his HK.

They had Class 3 rentals.

That seems to be the only redeeming quality of ranges.  I can live without everything else.  Although to compete it seems neccesary.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Public range (and I figure you're talking outdoor):
- Clearly marked ranges (25yd, 100yd, 200yd, etc)
- Usually a range officer controls what's going on.  If you go out to the woods to shoot and bubba shows up and he's a jackhole you pretty much have to just leave or put up possibly getting shot by a moron.
- Other guys to talk with and check out their weapons.  Last time I talked to an older guy shooting something like a .375 and .4-- something and he told me about hunting in Africa.... I dunno interesting stuff here and there.
- I really have no where else to go, unless I want to drive pretty far!!

IF you go to a range, read the safety rules!!! So many times newbies come and the RO yells at them nonstop because they are handling their weapons on a cold line, etc.  

Yeah, I had figure that I would see all of these things at the local ranges, I am still
interested in the Whole Renting Guns thing? Would someone please inform me on this?

ETA: SS109 Thank you, I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I rarely go to public ranges, but always shoot at a Range. But I own it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I have ONLY shot at ranges... indoor, outdoor,  PD.....

and the closest public outdoor range where I can shoot my AR is like 50 miles away

actually theres a private club much closer, but theres like a $500 initiation fee and way too many other "responsibilities" and rules.

I wish I had somewhere I could just go and shoot at random shit. Watermelons, old appliances bowling balls whatever
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#27]
The only place to shoot near me is the public range.   It is actually quite a nice range.  It is mostly regulars and there is always some body there with really cool guns.  Not to many asshats.  I think getting yelled at over the loudspeaker and having the whole line look at you like you are some kind of retard takes the fun out of being a dick.  And I often run into genuinely nice people:  Just this weekend I was up at the range with a friend from Japan who had never been shooting before.  The guy at the bench next to us helped give him some pointers, and loaned us his 10/22 mag loader.  Turns out he was one of the founders of Crystal Geyser.

I like shooting in the woods when I get the chance, but I genuinely like shooting at the range too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Under most circumstances I would think private land is the way to go.  Not having any, or access to any, I go to a public range about 45 minutes away.  Its a hit or miss situation, sometimes I am the only person there and I have a great time, sometimes there are mouth breaders doing stupid crap.  I stay because I drove so far.  

They tell me in this state (Mississippi) that you can shoot anywhere out of city limits, I'm not willing to try it though.  Might be Okay for .22s or something but ARs, combat shotguns etc...I can imagine a policeman waiting by my car when I walk out of the woods with an AR and a assload of mags.  

I am planing on joining a closer, private range next month.  I'll see how that goes.  

There are some advantages I can think of at a "real" range public or private... 1) you are sure of your backstop 2) there are probably benches or table to lay out gear 3) pre marked distances 4) the other users might be cool.  But even with those I think private land would be better (as long as you can be sure of your backstop)
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The only place to shoot near me is the public range.   It is actually quite a nice range.  It is mostly regulars and there is always some body there with really cool guns.  Not to many asshats.  I think getting yelled at over the loudspeaker and having the whole line look at you like you are some kind of retard takes the fun out of being a dick.  And I often run into genuinely nice people:  Just this weekend I was up at the range with a friend from Japan who had never been shooting before.  The guy at the bench next to us helped give him some pointers, and loaned us his 10/22 mag loader.  Turns out he was one of the founders of Crystal Geyser.

I like shooting in the woods when I get the chance, but I genuinely like shooting at the range too.

Well... shooting IS Fun and Fun IS Shooting, there is no question about that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Under most circumstances I would think private land is the way to go.  Not having any, or access to any, I go to a public range about 45 minutes away.  Its a hit or miss situation, sometimes I am the only person there and I have a great time, sometimes there are mouth breaders doing stupid crap.  I stay because I drove so far.  

They tell me in this state (Mississippi) that you can shoot anywhere out of city limits, I'm not willing to try it though.  Might be Okay for .22s or something but ARs, combat shotguns etc...I can imagine a policeman waiting by my car when I walk out of the woods with an AR and a assload of mags.  

I am planing on joining a closer, private range next month.  I'll see how that goes.  

There are some advantages I can think of at a "real" range public or private... 1) you are sure of your backstop 2) there are probably benches or table to lay out gear 3) pre marked distances 4) the other users might be cool.  But even with those I think private land would be better (as long as you can be sure of your backstop)

I am close enough to PA and the  Appellation Mountains to NEVER have to
worrying about a Back Stop. A short walk can take care of all the saftey issues.

And I am starting to feel very sorry fer all the emebers that dont have this luxury of
being able to do this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top