Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2004 1:49:37 PM EDT
I'm going to be putting a Vltor on my AR come sunset.  The stock came with a buffer tube, but do I need a different buffer as well.  The rifle currently has a fake collapsible on it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.  Someone must know this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
If the vltor came with a buffer, then it should work fine. I don't think the fixed stock can be salvaged.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If the vltor came with a buffer, then it should work fine. I don't think the fixed stock can be salvaged.

It came with a  buffer tube and springs.  But the old buffer looks too long for the new tube.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Has the overall length of the buffer tube changed from the previous? If the answer is no, then continue using the same buffer and spring your old stock used.
When I have changed out (numerous) stocks, the springs were sometimes the issue, not the buffer, unless you changed barrels / carriers, etc.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Has the overall length of the buffer tube changed from the previous? If the answer is no, then continue using the same buffer and spring your old stock used.
When I have changed out (numerous) stocks, the springs were sometimes the issue, not the buffer, unless you changed barrels / carriers, etc.

Yes the overall length of the buffer tube has changed.  The old fake collapsible stock was full length.  The Vltor is carbine length.  So I need a new buffer then?  Where would I find one?  I would think that Vltor would inculde one with the stock.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
anybody that carries AR15 parts should have the "short" CAR style buffer you need for the short buffer tube, the CAR also uses a shorter recoil spring than standard.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the same fixed collapsible stock. On Bushmaster's website it describes it as a standard A2 buffer and spring. I bought the Stubby Stock last year which contains the car buffer and spring so I believe I am good to go.

I am also getting the Vltor carbine stock.

Some Lower Parts here.

www.georgiaprecision.com/cart/items/ARLowerparts.htm
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes you will need to get a new receiver extension (Buffer Tube). Most fixed position tele-style stocks have rifle length receiver extensions and use rifle buffers and corresponding springs.

One thing to note about he Vltor stocks is that they will not work with Rock River collapsible stock receiver extensions. They were originally designed to work with Colt and USGI receiver extensions. There is a difference! On the Rock River Arms receiver extension, the transition from the "slide" to the round tube is rounded. On the Colt, the transition is a sharper corner. You'd have to remove material from the inside of the buttstock to get it to work on a RRA receiver extension.

Vltor recently started producing appropriately dimensioned receiver extensions. These have 5 positions vs 4 for the Colt and 6 for the RRA.

You can use the castle nut and receiver end cover from your old RRA fixed or collapsible.

ETA You can order buffers and springs directly from Vltor or from Operation Parts www.operationparts.com/rock-river-arms.html, Bravo Company, Bushmaster, RRA.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top