Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/7/2023 7:26:29 PM EDT
I'd love to say it's the old warhorse we all know & love:

But let's face it, the darn thing is always dry when you go to use it.  Plus, don't fall in the water; it won't work after that w/o being taken apart, fully dried, and then re-filled.

I absolutely love these things for torching my see-gars:

But they fail on the KISS principle.  And do they leak over time?  I seem to always need to re-fill the cheap one I got.

Frankly, I think the best possible all-around, always-works lighter is, as boring as it is, this:

They are the Glock of the lighter world: drab, wholly unexciting... and they always work.

What sayeth you, O hivemind?  Anything better?
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
zippo.

mini bic for a backup.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Zippo. I have 4 for different uses. Standard, pipe, soft flame, and torch inserts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Zippo dual flame butane insert in a Thrym case.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
As recommended here...I have started using Clipper lighter instead of Bic and have no plans to go back
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Zippo is the classic.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Bic all day every day.

I got the electric inserts for my Zippos since I got sick of the fuel always being out. Just gotta charge them every so often. Actually has me back to carrying a Zippo much more often.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#7]
10 years ago I would have said Bic, but I've never thrown away so many dead ones as I have recently.

Ive dug old Bics out of creek beds when I was a kid and you could bang the dirt out of them and they'd still light.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Maratac peanut XL are supposed to be the shit. Find them on Amazon. Works like a zippo but has a screw on o-ring sealed top.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep a mini bic in my pocket.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10 years ago I would have said Bic, but I've never thrown away so many dead ones as I have recently.

Ive dug old Bics out of creek beds when I was a kid and you could bang the dirt out of them and they'd still light.
View Quote

I have never had an issue with a Bic.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Plain Bic for my pipes, Xikar torches for my cigars.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the plasma arc rechargeable lighters.

But always keep some scripto view lighters around, they're cheap and I can see how much fluid is left in them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Full size Bic lighter for the win.

Thousands of dependable lights and when it doesn't, toss it and grab another.

Thanks to a post here a couple of years ago I bought 114 Bics for 14 cents each at an Office Depot after-xmas closeout.

I've given away dozens and still have a few left.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Bic.

They are ubiquitous and like cockroaches hiding in the backs of drawers, or bottom of consoles and glove boxes for years waiting for the chance to go into action with a flip.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I just hang on to them longer than when I was younger.  Maybe they are skimping on fuel.  All of them still spark, just no flame even though some have audible fluid in them.

Glad you've had good luck with yours.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd love to say it's the old warhorse we all know & love:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.56884abf2076a50cfab67ec88f46f5a7?rik=tps2XoJ5GSjVHA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fcdn.shopify.com%2fs%2ffiles%2f1%2f0934%2f3614%2fproducts%2fZippo_1941_Pic_2_copy.jpg%3fv%3d1445907983&ehk=oOndpayLk9zTCc8ETrqZUAZfHaUigBLDa0J%2fC6kRP6c%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

But let's face it, the darn thing is always dry when you go to use it.  Plus, don't fall in the water; it won't work after that w/o being taken apart, fully dried, and then re-filled.

I absolutely love these things for torching my see-gars:

https://s.yimg.com/aah/a-zlighters/visol-hybrid-usb-matte-black-triple-torch-cigar-lighter-7.gif

But they fail on the KISS principle.  And do they leak over time?  I seem to always need to re-fill the cheap one I got.

Frankly, I think the best possible all-around, always-works lighter is, as boring as it is, this:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/136af597-9f8d-424c-97dc-d135d0545133_1.cb3864fd2ad910386cf2e698a6522807.jpeg

They are the Glock of the lighter world: drab, wholly unexciting... and they always work.

What sayeth you, O hivemind?  Anything better?
View Quote

Bic always works if there’s any fuel in them. Every other brand of disposable lighter usually has problems lighting long before they’re empty.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Rather than start a new thread.
What's the best Zippo insert?
I carried a Zippo for years, both regular and pipe styles but got sick of messing with the fluid so I've been back to the ol trusty Bics for a while now.

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bic always works if there's any fuel in them. Every other brand of disposable lighter usually has problems lighting long before they're empty.
View Quote
Those clear plastic ones that were popular in the 90s were the worst for that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
zippo.

mini bic for a backup.
View Quote

Can’t use mini bic, I have man hands. I wish they would make them (normal bics) 20-50% larger.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Gil disposable lighters. Made in Vietnam and transparent so you can see how much butane is left. I bought a few boxes when they were available for $6/50. As far as I've been able to tell over the years they're boringly reliable same as a Bic but without the $1/each price attached.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Gil disposable lighters. Made in Vietnam and transparent so you can see how much butane is left. I bought a few boxes when they were available for $6/50. As far as I've been able to tell over the years they're boringly reliable same as a Bic but without the $1/each price attached.
View Quote

Just don't leave them out in the open in a car on a hot day.

All the disposables besides Bic will leak/explode in the hot sun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting! I've never had a need to take them off my property - they're mostly used for starting fires or lighting candles or torches.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Can’t go wrong with stashing bics everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Metal clipper, but they do seem to eat flints, so keep some handy. I carry a zippo though, but I wish the butane inserts were a little better.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Zippo with butane inserts
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Interesting! I've never had a need to take them off my property - they're mostly used for starting fires or lighting candles or torches.
View Quote

I keep one or two in the car, it’s been handy when out camping and someone forgot the fire starting supplies.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Bic. Zippos are antiquated showpieces from an era that no longer exists. I'd likely still use one if I were a cigarette smoker, just for the pizazz, but I gave them up long ago, and there's not much point to keeping one topped off with fuel for the rogue instances I need to set something on fire.

Quoted:
Zippo with butane inserts
View Quote
I had one and killed it in a year as a regular smoker. Maybe there are higher quality ones on the market now, I don't know.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#28]
bics don't work in the cold
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Get both...a Ronson and a Zippo

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
 Whoever engineered the Bic sure knew WTF they were doing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Bic. Zippos are antiquated showpieces from an era that no longer exists. I'd likely still use one if I were a cigarette smoker, just for the pizazz, but I gave them up long ago, and there's not much point to keeping one topped off with fuel for the rogue instances I need to set something on fire.
View Quote
Hate to admit it, but this.  Keep a few around for nostalgia's sake, AND the fact that they can use gasoline as well, but they are pretty much old-tech by now.  Still, I keep matches, Bics, Zippos, and a gallon of naptha & a bunch of flints.  Mankind's greatest tool is fire, and you need to be able to make it on demand.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it's cold enough no butane lighter works well or at all. Nature of the beast.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I've smoked cigars just about everyday, for 29 years and so I'm hard on lighters and use butane examples.

For me, the best that I've found, are the JetLine New York triple flame jobbies.

They'll crap out eventually, but I get easily 6-8 years out of them and have four, or five, that I rotate through.

About $18-$20.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Rather than start a new thread.
What's the best Zippo insert?
I carried a Zippo for years, both regular and pipe styles but got sick of messing with the fluid so I've been back to the ol trusty Bics for a while now.

View Quote

I've got a Sparkr brand and a Zippo brand electric insert.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've smoked cigars just about everyday, for 29 years and so I'm hard on lighters and use butane examples.

For me, the best that I've found, are the JetLine New York triple flame jobbies.

They'll crap out eventually, but I get easily 6-8 years out of them and have four, or five, that I rotate through.

About $18-$20.

Chris
View Quote
Thanks, need a good torch lighter for my cigars, w/o breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Zippos are garbage

Bics are for the long run
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Ronson from the checkout lane at Walmart.
Refillable butane torch with zippo form factor. Under ten bucks.

Zippos lose fuel. Butane insert for zippo alone costs more than the Ronson and isn't as good.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Keep them in an inside pocket and it's not a problem or just rub them between you hands for a few seconds and it'll warm them up enough too.

Bics are great, cheap enough you can just scatter them everywhere, I did have one explode from the summer heat when stored in my pickup. The only real drawback is they can be a pain to use in the wind.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#39]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SNVZZCF?tag=arfcom00-20

you can find them cheaper, they're usually 5$ or so. rechargeable is just overall a lot easier. bic lighters can't be refilled, so it takes up a lot of space hoarding a pack of 100. same with matches. zippos use liquid fuel, which is absolutely shit for storage, especially long term. it means that corrosion or animals can create catastrophic failures. worse, zippos need to store a flint too. i used to take used bic lighters and pull the flint out of them for use in zippos. and wicks, which burn to ash and require constant maintenance. people who think zippos are good lighters haven't actually used them for anything.

butane torches are just as bad. high pressured refills are rare to find. and of course, they're complete shit for storage as well. a can is only 2..3 refills. by the time you get to refill 3, the can has leaked. practically, only 1.5 refills. these cans cost as much as 4 bic lighters.

electronic means much easier to light in gloves - it's just a button and the button literally works every time.

electronic is lighter weight.

the arc isn't position dependent either. normal flames always travel upwards. if you're melting paracord this is not always convenient. lighting paper underneath some charcoal bricks, for example, is much easier.

everything is usb powered now. even the 5w solar panels can charge this lighter. any car or outlet or one of those stupid mechanical rotary generators.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Zippos are garbage

Bics are for the long run
View Quote
I don't think they're garbage, I mean, if you are willing to maintain it (which is easier to do when you are a cigarette smoker, and ritualistically top it off and change flints anyway), you can use one for life. If you want to get nerdy, then yeah, the design isn't great compared to some competitor's designs, even prior to the plastic revolution. Other companies certainly did it better, but zippo was one of the most popular designs (probably the most, in America at least).
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Several packs of Bic lighters and put them everywhere.
Zippo is great for a week or two then it dries out. Bic will store for decades.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Bic
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I put an o-ring around the mini-bic, just under the valve to reduce/prevent accidental gas release. Easily rolls down for use. It’s a manual safety.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Back around to a Zippo.  

Added a baseplate seal to cap off the bottom, and housed in a Thyrm Pyrovault 2.0.  

Sits in my car all day. Regular use. Lasts about 3 weeks before I bring it in and refill.  

Always have Bics on hand.  

Also always keep a rope-fueled sailor's lighter.  

But the Zippo has really been pulling it's weight with the upgrades.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I smoked forever and used a bunch of different kinds in all the elements, it's Bic.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I put an o-ring around the mini-bic, just under the valve to reduce/prevent accidental gas release. Easily rolls down for use. It's a manual safety.
View Quote
I actually have a plastic prescription medicine bottle (child-proof tab) that holds 3 Bics that lives in my back pack.  Makes sure the button doesn't get pushed, draining the gas.  AND, keeps them clean.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't smoke now, but the memory of lighter fluid smell and that exquisite burn on the leg when your overfill  
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't smoke now, but the memory of lighter fluid smell and that exquisite burn on the leg when your overfill  
View Quote
Yup.  Quickly learned (the hard way, natch ) to burn off the excess when I overfilled it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About $18-$20.

Chris

Just for the record, I have a DuPont silver plated jobbie I bought for myself in '97 and while a good lighter, it's not a jet and it's only single flame, which ain't great for cigars.

I have others and most are just junk. At work, when I puff, it's just a BIC standard and that's fine.  I work at a souvenir store in Miami and we sell some single jet flame lighters for the dopers passing through and they work, but I don't have any long term data on them.

Look on Ebay for JetLine New York, either in double, triple or quad flames, as they're either out of production, or just harder to find.

I forego any of the chi-chi, boutique cigar brands, just because they break down after a short stretch.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#50]
When we go backcounty canoeing, we bring Bic lighters and stick matches in a match safe.
No fire, no eat.

We use the Bics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top