Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
How can you go wrong with a bic??
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually have a plastic prescription medicine bottle (child-proof tab) that holds 3 Bics that lives in my back pack.  Makes sure the button doesn't get pushed, draining the gas.  AND, keeps them clean.
View Quote

Ha! I do the same.
And I have  few bottles with a Bic and a couple solid fuel fire starters stashed away.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
A section of bike inner tube will seal a zippo fairly well
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well... they sure do lack pizazz!
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Clipper: Refillable, huge butane reservoir, replaceable flint, removeable flint + striker so you can use that by itself with char cloth/cord. The Marijuana themed ones are translucent so you can see the fluid level. The printing can be removed with acetone.

As a backup I also carry a refillable Clipper JET lighter, great for lighting esbit tabs in the wind/rain. If wet, can be dried out quickly with a forceful blow. The only downside of this model is that I cannot find translucent versions so have to weigh them to determine how full they are.

If you want old tech the IMCO lighters are better than the Zippos. Even the fake IMCOs.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Speaking of lighters. I kinda want this one. No real good reason though. But it's cool.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804908660440.html
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Small reservoir, often not refillable, flint not replaceable.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have some cheap lighters (probably Scripto; they're clear) in my stash that haven't aged well.   It's like the flints degraded over time and got dusty.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#9]
And what was that "trick" with the zippo where you flicked the lid open and lit it in one motion?

I tried to find videos, way cool for the time

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Scripto, because they fit inside the mini torches, and can be used in place of the factory fuel cells.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And what was that "trick" with the zippo where you flicked the lid open and lit it in one motion?

View Quote
You're going to make me dig out my old zipposw to see if I can still do it. It's pretty easy you just snap your fingers together and it opens essentially.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think most people use lighters enough for that to really matter anymore. I just whipped out five disposable lighters that I've had from back when I did smoke, and Four out of five still light and have fuel. The flint disintegrated on the last one. That's not bad for lighters that are all around a decade old.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't think most people use lighters enough for that to really matter anymore. I just whipped out five disposable lighters that I've had from back when I did smoke, and Four out of five still light and have fuel. The flint disintegrated on the last one. That's not bad for lighters that are all around a decade old.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even as a smoker, they last a pretty decent amount of time. Usually at least a month for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Zippo with torch insert
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You're going to make me dig out my old zipposw to see if I can still do it. It's pretty easy you just snap your fingers together and it opens essentially.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A cool move,  standing beside your dropped open wheel hot rod and duck tails...ala James Dean or Grease

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
10 years ago I would have said Bic, but I've never thrown away so many dead ones as I have recently.

Ive dug old Bics out of creek beds when I was a kid and you could bang the dirt out of them and they'd still light.
View Quote

For the most part, they still do.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Bic.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#18]
With a refillable butane insert.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Does the butane leak in storage?  I've picked up Bics that are a decade old, and they still light just fine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does the butane leak in storage?  I've picked up Bics that are a decade old, and they still light just fine.
View Quote

Not so far.  Only been using the insert for a year or so.  I've only had to refill it once and it wasn't even really low.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my zippo with a butane insert.  Doesn't leak, always lights, isn't picky about what butane I fill it with.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm gonna be that guy: strike anywhere matches.

aside from lighting charcoal ( I use a torch for that) it is pretty rare that I need to set something on fire.  Strike anywhere matches never seem to go bad and always work.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Clipper: Refillable, huge butane reservoir, replaceable flint, removeable flint + striker so you can use that by itself with char cloth/cord. The Marijuana themed ones are translucent so you can see the fluid level. The printing can be removed with acetone.

As a backup I also carry a refillable Clipper JET lighter, great for lighting esbit tabs in the wind/rain. If wet, can be dried out quickly with a forceful blow. The only downside of this model is that I cannot find translucent versions so have to weigh them to determine how full they are.

If you want old tech the IMCO lighters are better than the Zippos. Even the fake IMCOs.
View Quote
Came her to post Clipper, no silly safety on the striking wheel either.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Zippo with dual torch butane insert for coolness, but it takes a lot of effort to make sure the damn thing is full to the top and because I'll invariably use it vs firing up a soldering iron to melt things, and play with it if it's within reach.

Bic and matches hidden away somewhere in the camping gear for when the Zippo runs out.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a hunter orange Zippo to keep in the bug out bag. I went to use it to light the charcoal grill one evening, purposefully using the Zippo to show the wife how I’d been preparing for emergencies and the fucker was stone dry. I’m not a smoker and didn’t know this was a thing. I’d say anything other than a Zippo unless you’re a lighter hobbyist.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Hammer and a pocket anvil...easy peasy.

hammer skills, lighting a cigarette
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm gonna be that guy: strike anywhere matches.

aside from lighting charcoal ( I use a torch for that) it is pretty rare that I need to set something on fire.  Strike anywhere matches never seem to go bad and always work.
View Quote
A+ for koolness points, even if it ain't the most practical/reusable.  John Wayne approves.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Zippo with dual torch butane insert for coolness, but it takes a lot of effort to make sure the damn thing is full to the top and because I'll invariably use it vs firing up a soldering iron to melt things, and play with it if it's within reach.

Bic and matches hidden away somewhere in the camping gear for when the Zippo runs out.

Kharn
View Quote
I, of course, would never be so childish and frivolous.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I bought a hunter orange Zippo to keep in the bug out bag. I went to use it to light the charcoal grill one evening, purposefully using the Zippo to show the wife how I'd been preparing for emergencies and the fucker was stone dry. I'm not a smoker and didn't know this was a thing. I'd say anything other than a Zippo unless you're a lighter hobbyist.
View Quote
Yup, that's the problem with 'em.  Kool as all flock, but when it comes to "pick 'em up years later & they still work", Zippo ain't your huckleberry.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Zippo dual flame butane insert in a Thrym case.
View Quote

Nice. Just ordered the OG case in Rescue Orange.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#31]
@OP

Just ordered a Thyrm case. Going to use it with the old fluid insert. Let’s see if the case seal will help; will sub and if I can remember to, I’ll give an update. Maybe take a while or it’s plain crap, we’ll see.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Djeep master race checking in.

It's all I used back when I smoked.

now i just need something to start the backyard fire, and use a bernz-o-matic torch.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I keep a bic in my cars and quad in an exotac firesleeve:

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@OP

Just ordered a Thyrm case. Going to use it with the old fluid insert. Let's see if the case seal will help; will sub and if I can remember to, I'll give an update. Maybe take a while or it's plain crap, we'll see.
View Quote
DAYUM!  Those things look bombproof!

Wanted to order a butane insert w/o having to sacrifice one of my lighter fluid Zippos, these cases might just be the answer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Wholly Carp, just found yet another thing I gotta have!!!

https://www.exotac.com/products/firesleeve

...tho I hafta admit, secretly, this is why I started this thread...
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a couple and they are great.

I always modify my Bics by removing the stupid safety cover on the wheel. Takes a few seconds with some needle nose pliers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Probably this one
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I always modify my Bics by removing the stupid safety cover on the wheel. Takes a few seconds with some needle nose pliers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many people here remember when Bics had wheels to regulate how much butane you got?  They were bitchin' for shooting fire from your mouth.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Keep them in an inside pocket and it's not a problem or just rub them between you hands for a few seconds and it'll warm them up enough too.

Bics are great, cheap enough you can just scatter them everywhere, I did have one explode from the summer heat when stored in my pickup. The only real drawback is they can be a pain to use in the wind.
View Quote

Make a wind tunnel out if your hand.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File
Got a bunch of these from Costa Rica and they are great for lighting all kinds of stuff. Super easy to replace a dead lighter.   Way better than those stupid long childproof ones we get here.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I love my Zippo's but my IMCO triplex lighters are far superior.  For the Bic & other lighters, as the saying goes, quantity is a quality all of its own.  Throw one in every cubby hole & back pack you have & if they didn't get broke, they'll be great.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Maratac peanut XL are supposed to be the shit. Find them on Amazon. Works like a zippo but has a screw on o-ring sealed top.
View Quote

I have one of the peanut lighters that stays on my Keychain for emergencies (non-smoker). Even with the screw on cap and o-rings, it will dry out. I try to refill at least every 2-3 months.

Had more luck with butane lighters still being filled and usable years later.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got these a few weeks ago.  I filled the zippo I have on my desk the morning of Feb. 22nd.  I waited a week to check it & have then been checking it every few days, it still lights fine after more than 2 weeks so I'm curious to see how long the fuel will last now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DHK54QW/
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#44]
I still have my old Zippo (plain) from back in the 70's. The hinge became un-put-together from the case. I've thought about sending it in for lifetime warranty (?) for old times sake.

The smell of a lighter with that lighter fluid smell
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I got these a few weeks ago.  I filled the zippo I have on my desk the morning of Feb. 22nd.  I waited a week to check it & have then been checking it every few days, it still lights fine after more than 2 weeks so I'm curious to see how long the fuel will last now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done the innertube trick it works OK. I like those little inserts, though.

The Exotac cover for a Bic is really nice. I keep it in my hiking day pack. I also got an Exotac Titanlight. Very nice. As far as I can tell, it doesn't leak lighter fuel at all.

Titanlight

I'm also a big fan of the Uco Stormproof matches. They burn like a road flare.

Stormproof

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I bought a hunter orange Zippo to keep in the bug out bag. I went to use it to light the charcoal grill one evening, purposefully using the Zippo to show the wife how I'd been preparing for emergencies and the fucker was stone dry. I'm not a smoker and didn't know this was a thing. I'd say anything other than a Zippo unless you're a lighter hobbyist.
View Quote

Windmill Quest/UST Trekker.

Has been my backwoods/backpacking/BOB lighter for over a decade. UST sold it as the Trekker, for a while, but does not carry it any longer. Still sold by the original manufacturer Windmill, as the Quest lighter.

I've only ever used Vector Quintuple filtered fuel in it. Even after 2 years of not being used, it was still at least 3/4 full, and lit on the first strike. 2 catches for waterproofing, but can still be operated 1-handed. Windproof jet lighter. Has a water resistant rubber armored case that's survived bouncing off a bunch of rocks before dropping into the water at the river's edge. Floats, survived the impacts without damage, and lit just fine.

Decided I needed a spare, in case my old one died, and managed to find a place that had scored a small number of the UST branded Trekker lighters for a good price. Received it last year. Filled and tested it. Now I have a spare.

Also got a Windmill Delta Turbo for Winter coat pocket carry.

This thread
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Best-lighter-/18-704107/?

*** one of the posters in that thread is very familiar with Windmill lighters. Seems like the JP Turbo would be the best option for smokers. For non-smokers and BOB/backwoods use, the Quest (bigger, more fuel), or the Delta Turbo (apparently uses the same internals as the JP Turbo, but like the bigger Quest, also has rubber armor and 2 latches for increased water resistance (but can still be operated 1-handed).

He said the one caveat with these hot wire windproof lighters (they have piezo ignition, but have a coiled wire that gets red hot. So as long as you hold the button down, the glowing hot wire will reignite the fuel even if a really strong gust blows it out), is to NOT use these to light fuses/black powder. The fuse will spit carbon onto the wires, which results in the hot wire burning out.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Why don't I have one of those!   Dang!

(picks up phone, calls Dave)

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why don't I have one of those!   Dang!

(picks up phone, calls Dave)

View Quote

I only know of 4 of them. 2 are at my house
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Zippo. Unfortunately I've lost every boat Zippo (including a nice engraved brass one from Baton Rouge) I bought. I don't feel bad when I lose a Bic.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#50]
All this BIC talk, and nary a comment on Djeep unless I missed it. It's like a premium BIC made in France or somewhere fancy.
Page / 4
Top Top