Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spend money to have the vet do it.
View Quote
Best way to do it, one shot to put them to sleep, after 15 minutes or so 2nd shot to stop the heart. It's peaceful, not messy and doesn't cost very much. I just had to put one of our cats down last week.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Take her to the vet when it is time and have her put down the right way.   Cremation isn't expensive and everyone is right about how she will remember this experience.

Maybe try a goldfish next time, OP.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Vet if you can afford it.  .22 if you can't.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
For your daughter (and maybe you and your wife): The Legend Of The Rainbow Bridge
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know the assholes on arfcom are going to tell you let it die or shoot it, but it's your daughter's pet.

Either try the black market cure or call Lap of Love.  They will come out to your house and euthanize her. It's much better than dragging the daughter and cat to the vet to do the same.  It is pricier, but worth it.
It really isn't about the cat, it is about your daughter.

https://www.lapoflove.com/
View Quote

It’s NOT humane to try some experimental cure from China made by who knows who with who knows what.  
Weigh your options. Your business and not anyone else’s.  I know you are caring and trying to be humane or you would not have asked.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#6]
12gauge to the back of the head does the trick every time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's your daughters cat, have her shoot it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whatever method you choose to euthanize the cat your daughter will forever remember it. You can be remembered as a compassionate respectful man or an abomination.
View Quote

Multiple posters have given you the right answer. It all depends on the relationship you want with your daughter.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Let the vet do this.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Try ivermectin?  

Can’t the vet kill it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Burlap sack, some rocks and a body of water.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It’s your daughters cat, have her shoot it.
View Quote

Got damn lol
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#13]
When I was in high school a friend’s mom was backing her car out of the garage to take his little sister to school and backed over their cat.  Crushed the cat’s pelvis and stuck it to the garage floor.  Sister was hysterical, cat was wailing, mom said we have to put kitty out of her misery ASAP…… so mom gets back in the car and drives over the rest of kitty to kill it while sister is hysterically screaming.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Tannerite
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
My mom likes to tell the story about how grandpa took a litter of unwanted kittens in a sack and swung it against the barn.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Got damn lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got damn lol

Lol
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When I was in high school a friend's mom was backing her car out of the garage to take his little sister to school and backed over their cat.  Crushed the cat's pelvis and stuck it to the garage floor.  Sister was hysterical, cat was wailing, mom said we have to put kitty out of her misery ASAP so mom gets back in the car and drives over the rest of kitty to kill it while sister is hysterically screaming.  
View Quote

Holy shit.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I know the assholes on arfcom are going to tell you let it die or shoot it, but it's your daughter's pet.

Either try the black market cure or call Lap of Love.  They will come out to your house and euthanize her. It's much better than dragging the daughter and cat to the vet to do the same.  It is pricier, but worth it.
It really isn't about the cat, it is about your daughter.

https://www.lapoflove.com/
View Quote

The pet know something is up because everyone is upset on the way to the vet.
I saw a family outside of the vet crying. Dog couldn't walk and look terrified as it was put on a cart to get wheeled into the office ALONE.
Everyone stayed outside.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#21]
WTF is wrong with some of you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#22]
obvious have your samich maker watch the cat, for sure it will end in the dishwasher or dryer or some other home appliance It will be her problem not yours. problem solved
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't kill your daughter's pet.  Let the vet euthanize it.

you don't want her final memory of the cat filled with the horror that dad killed it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Holy shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was in high school a friend's mom was backing her car out of the garage to take his little sister to school and backed over their cat.  Crushed the cat's pelvis and stuck it to the garage floor.  Sister was hysterical, cat was wailing, mom said we have to put kitty out of her misery ASAP so mom gets back in the car and drives over the rest of kitty to kill it while sister is hysterically screaming.  

Holy shit.

A woman of action.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
.22lr 12 gauge sabot slug
View Quote

* fify.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#26]
If you have to ask, have the vet do it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Vets weren’t allowing owners to accompany their pets into the office for a long time due to Covid, “for the protection of the staff.” Had to wait curbside for somebody to come collect your pet, then wait in the car for them to return.

I’m sure this caused a lot of very sad situations. I haven’t had a reason to check lately, but I’d hope that bullshit has gone away by now.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Vet is the answer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

that is brutal. lol
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#30]
FFS, OP, take it do the vet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Have shot horses and dogs. Put an x between ears and eyes. If you get that spot right there is no flopping except nerves. It is pretty instant. But like others have said cats can move quickly and ruin the shot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm surprised no one has said go with the $800 Chinese Remdesivir
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a cat, ~14yo, that got diagnosed with FID and just stopped eating.  It didn’t matter what I tried to feed him he just had zero appetite.  We even had a feeding tube put in him where we were feeding him liquid food multiple x/day.  We ended up having a vet come out to our house and put him down at home.  My only regret was feeling like I should have made the call sooner as he lost so much weight while we were trying to “get him over the hump” thinking if we could just get food in him eventually his appetite would come back.

I miss that guy
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You all sure have bad luck with animals. You should consider adopting leftist politicians instead.

I'd pay the vet to do it cleanly and humanely. If for some reason that were not available I would go for massive overkill. Like 00 buckshot to completely destroy the CNS and ensure a humane if messy death.
View Quote

I ended up taking my wife's dog to the big sleep at the vet because I didn't trust a .22 to get it done "well enough" and I didn't want to see her after a 5.56 or 12ga hit her in the head(she was a dachshund).

I agree with the post above about emergency=take care of it at home, otherwise have a vet do it.  I hope to be able to "get both" moving forward and have a vet come to the house when it's time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Damn dude. Don't traumatize the kid even more.
View Quote

lol his whole family executes pets in appliances in tragic "accidents"... so i doubt they are that traumatized
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I dont even like cats and i say take it to the vet and let them put it down .
View Quote

This ^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#37]
50 cal, tannerite, or dishwasher since you are proficient at that.

Or, just have the vet give it a shot.  If you spend $900 on a possible cure for a cat, someone should slap the shit out of you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Wasn’t there a brother Arfcommer with a little red kitteh with a similar illness who saved it with a couple months of treatment?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A vet euthanizing and cremating a pet is under $100.

View Quote

The first part is $100.  The second part can be another $250 and up...and that is without their upsell of a fancy box.  

As for .22 option, if the shot isn't perfect you get to watch it flop around, spasm, and splatter blood everywhere for about 30 seconds.  That's fine for wild animals that are a nuisance but not the best memory for something a person may care about.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The pet know something is up because everyone is upset on the way to the vet.
I saw a family outside of the vet crying. Dog couldn't walk and look terrified as it was put on a cart to get wheeled into the office ALONE.
Everyone stayed outside.
View Quote

You can't send them off alone.

My last dog went sitting on the floor next to me with her head in my lap and me petting her.  It was very difficult but she was always around for us when we needed her. It couldn't be any other way.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
50 cal, tannerite, or dishwasher since you are proficient at that.

Or, just have the vet give it a shot.  If you spend $900 on a possible cure for a cat, someone should slap the shit out of you.
View Quote

that 300 shy of a Hk MP5 clone or 2k rounds of 5.56 in todays dollars

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I've used THC and CBD oils to improve the quality of life for a dying cat, and to make their dying more comfortable and brief. I'm in a place where I can use THC oil, which is marijuana oil, so you may have to substitute delta 9 oil for that. THC would be for the period when theyre still comfortable enough to be awake and move around some, and CBD for when they've started the mostly immobile dying phase and should just sleep. Cats have a tendency to linger and can take a while to die, and cbd seems to suppress whatever it is that causes that, I think its that cats sometimes have something like a massive, continual adrenaline dumb when their dying, which just makes things take longer for them. Note I cant speak to how effective the delta 9 would be personally since I havent tried it, but I would if needed and have reason to think it would work. The CBD alone would work, it would just make the cat sleep off its final time, where as it would be awake and somewhat active with the delta 9 or THC oil.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Spend money to have the vet do it.
View Quote

this is a firearms forum. The cat will not suffer. Be a man.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My mom likes to tell the story about how grandpa took a litter of unwanted kittens in a sack and swung it against the barn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ex-wifes grandpa lived during the depression.  Cats would kill lots of rabbits, chicks, and other food they needed for meat

He hated cats. He used to put a bunch in a burlap sack, throw it in the river and shoot it with his shotgun

That being said, I would pay a vet to give it a shot to put it down. As others have said, it shouldn't be over $100.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

dibs on guns if you end up in jail buying on the silk road...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you've got the money, then go for it, if youre certain that its got a significant chance of helping.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Rack the slide and it will scare itself to death
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Old tried & true...a feed sack, a brick & a nearby body of water.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Old tried & true...a feed sack, a brick & a nearby body of water.
View Quote
Took care of many litters on the farm this way.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top