Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2022 7:16:52 AM EDT
Show us what you’re working on! I’ll post up some of my projects. If guys have questions there’s a lot of guys in the industry here who can help, myself included.

Stone wall project and fun landscape pics to kick it off!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I sold my business a few years ago. Damn do I miss it!

Attachment Attached File

Job site puppyAttachment Attached File

Job site big fat head
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#2]
In on 1. You got serious landscaping going on there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
You know it’s a lot of mulch when you use bobcats instead of wheel barrows. We did over 100yds on this property. Dumped with bobcat and hand spread the old way.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Some cool stone steps we built at my brother in laws cabin. Stone work and walls were always my favorite stuff to build.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks good. I'm working on my yard, setting up some bowling ball-ish size chunks of fieldstone/granite  around the previous owner's neglected edging and I'm thinking 2-3 inches of some nice cedar mulch.
People don't realize how heavy an appreciable amount of stone really is.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good. I'm working on my yard, setting up some bowling ball-ish size chunks of fieldstone/granite  around the previous owner's neglected edging and I'm thinking 2-3 inches of some nice cedar mulch.
People don't realize how heavy an appreciable amount of stone really is.
View Quote

Stone is insane lol ask me how I know

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#8]
You can take left over scraps and make some cool features with it

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Also sometimes people think they need to fill up that massive bed with “stuff”. This home owner couldn’t figure out how to use the space and didn’t want to care for it all. Cut it in half. Less is more.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Some other cool projects and properties

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Tag. I'm going to do a major project this summer a will need inspiration and hive thoughts. OP, you do many paver stone patios or artifical turf patios?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tag. I'm going to do a major project this summer a will need inspiration and hive thoughts. OP, you do many paver stone patios or artifical turf patios?
View Quote

I’ve never messed with artificial turf but we’ve done plenty of unilock stone patios
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#13]
My landscaping needs an overhaul.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve got some water mitigation I’ve got to take care of this summer.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll play. Here's one from a few years ago. Got into lotsa stone work after moving to Vt.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#16]

This took us about 6 weeks from prep to final rinse ,2 masons and a tender. The material is quimby stone in the wall,bluestone caps and patio. We built in low voltage lighting, the steps lead up to a hot tub we built in as well.

We but a screaming pitch on the patio because of the owners request and fear of water gathering. There are also "scuppers" built into the bottom of the wall for drainage.
There's also a fire pit we built in on the other side of the main patio.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I FINALLY pulled out this dump trailer. One of the few things I kept from my old business. Been sitting for 3 years and the battery still lifted the dump before I even plugged it in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’ve never messed with artificial turf but we’ve done plenty of unilock stone patios
View Quote

The wife wants a soft spot for the kids to play on. I'm scared it will look ugly. And the ground is a weird grade. I may get so pics up and see what everyone thinks I should do
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Tag for inspiration. I am pretty good at doing interiors but while I love a beautifully landscaped exterior, I’m lost.

I have a modestly decent chunk of property (about 2 acres) but no time to maintain it so I’d love to do some landscaping that looks great but are low maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#21]
At a family house on the gulf coast, some fool decided river rock beds around the house would be great.  I'm all for drainage, but the river rock makes rain water drain under the house instead of directing it away.  So I need to pull out those beds, sift out the rock, and backfill for however much rock is removed.  Then I want to put some citrus trees in and grow them espalier.  I've never done that before.

I also need to build some hot house frames over beds in the back yard.  I want a green house, but materials are expensive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Bluestone walkway.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87259/20180918_063619-2383261.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87259/20181006_072843-2383266.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87259/20181010_154803-2383274.jpg

This took us about 6 weeks from prep to final rinse ,2 masons and a tender. The material is quimby stone in the wall,bluestone caps and patio. We built in low voltage lighting, the steps lead up to a hot tub we built in as well.

We but a screaming pitch on the patio because of the owners request and fear of water gathering. There are also "scuppers" built into the bottom of the wall for drainage.
View Quote

No crushed gravel base?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Is that set with concrete?  My wife want's do something similar but with pavers and I wasn't sure about using concrete in between versus sand.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No crushed gravel base?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87259/20180918_063619-2383261.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87259/20181006_072843-2383266.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/87259/20181010_154803-2383274.jpg

No crushed gravel base?

We dug down about 2 feet and yes there's a base of 2 " ridgid insulation,road fabric ,then 4" lifts of staymat compacted until we reach grade ( some call crush and run ) then stone dust to lay the bluestone patio. In other words a shitload of prep .
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At a family house on the gulf coast, some fool decided river rock beds around the house would be great.  I'm all for drainage, but the river rock makes rain water drain under the house instead of directing it away.  So I need to pull out those beds, sift out the rock, and backfill for however much rock is removed.  Then I want to put some citrus trees in and grow them espalier.  I've never done that before.

I also need to build some hot house frames over beds in the back yard.  I want a green house, but materials are expensive.
View Quote

I've seen and removed something just like that for the same reason, good intentions but poor planning. Strong backs but weak minds create this
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I need to move water from a downspout under the flower bed and into the lawn.

Where is the best place to buy drain tile/equipment to do that?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We dug down about 2 feet and yes there's a base of 2 " ridgid insulation,road fabric ,then 4" lifts of staymat compacted until we reach grade ( some call crush and run ) then stone dust to lay the bluestone patio. In other words a shitload of prep .
View Quote

Awesome

Just seeing how people are doing things. I'm going to have to raise my patio up. After about 2 inches of soil is all limestone.

Also, I like those walls!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#29]
A little surprised to see all the mulch.

We mulched for years, switched to river rock several years ago & life has been much better since. Ended up needing 40 tons to completely re-do the landscape, that’s a lot of shoveling & wheelbarrowing let me tell you. But it’s finished now forever & the only maintenance is an occasional walk around with the weed sprayer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A little surprised to see all the mulch.

We mulched for years, switched to river rock several years ago & life has been much better since. Ended up needing 40 tons to completely re-do the landscape, that’s a lot of shoveling & wheelbarrowing let me tell you. But it’s finished now forever & the only maintenance is an occasional walk around with the weed sprayer.
View Quote

You have any pictures?  I'd love to see how it looks, as I get tired of mulching.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I used to be a CLIT Certified Landscape Installation Tech. Title given to me by The OSU school of agriculture. Specialized in irrigation, auquascaping, paver laying. Went to courses through Aqua Scape and whatever the Allen block company calls theirs.

I wasn't mentioned by name, but one of the waterfalls I built made it into Better Homes and Gardens.

If you've walked a paver sidewalk in Mason Ohio, I laid every single block.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Anyone tried rubber mulch yet?

I’m tired of putting new mulch down every summer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is that set with concrete?  My wife want's do something similar but with pavers and I wasn't sure about using concrete in between versus sand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It’s called polymeric sand. This “stone dust” can work up to 6” gaps so it’s great for flag stone. You sweep it in the cracks. Light blow the excess off. And water it down. Hardens like mortar and last a long time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anyone tried rubber mulch yet?

I’m tired of putting new mulch down every summer.
View Quote

It sucks for landscapes. Only good for playgrounds. Mulch should be fine enough it breaks down and puts nitrogen back into the soil, not just for looks.

Mulch your beds and stop using “weed barrier”.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Current dilemma….

How to get a 800lb + tree into the hole from my dump trailer

God I miss my bobcat

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It sucks for landscapes. Only good for playgrounds. Mulch should be fine enough it breaks down and puts nitrogen back into the soil, not just for looks.

Mulch your beds and stop using “weed barrier”.
View Quote

Thanks ??
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Current dilemma….

God I miss my bobcat

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346339/ECF810E2-509E-490B-8EE1-02FB64DE1C11_jpe-2383346.JPG
View Quote

You answered your own question.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#40]
@AKCory762
What's the best way to patch dead lawn spots. I tried Scott's patch 3 weeks ago with no results
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Shit dude. 100 yards of mulch? Was it an HOA or a private residence?

I used to work in landscape back in high school (friend's company that was two trucks and is now massive...he did very well for himself) and then in the office of a landscape company (my old scoutmaster) after college for a few years.

I just did the mulch on my property which was about 3 yards.

ETA: I've got a lot to do. Trying to get grass to grow where it used to be pachysandra.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@AKCory762
What's the best way to patch dead lawn spots. I tried Scott's patch 3 weeks ago with no results
View Quote

Metal tine rake. Scratch the fuck out of the ground until all the dead shit is gone.

Throw fresh soil down and feather it into the current lawn. It won’t hurt the existing grass.

Throw seed down on the soil like you’re feeding chicks. No too heavy in piles, nice even spread.

Now take that metal tine take and turn it upside down so the fingers of the rake are pointing up. Lightly sew the seed into the soil, you can kinds “grade” the soil even too. Toss a tiny bit of seed back on top.

Water it everyday. Don’t flood it so it washed the seed away but nice and damp. If the seed dries out in germination it’s dead. You must baby sit it daily until it sprouts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Shit dude. 100 yards of mulch? Was it an HOA or a private residence?

I used to work in landscape back in high school (friend's company that was two trucks and is now massive...he did very well for himself) and then in the office of a landscape company (my old scoutmaster) after college for a few years.

I just did the mulch on my property which was about 3 yards.

ETA: I've got a lot to do. Trying to get grass to grow where it used to be pachysandra.
View Quote

Private estate.

When I worked for a company we regular did 350+ yards at these massive property’s. We used a mulch blower for those.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Current dilemma….

God I miss my bobcat

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346339/ECF810E2-509E-490B-8EE1-02FB64DE1C11_jpe-2383346.JPG

Haha I know. I’m gonna use the ramps and try to slide the bitch into the hole
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I've seen and removed something just like that for the same reason, good intentions but poor planning. Strong backs but weak minds create this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy who owned the house previously was kind of like that.  Actually a really smart guy who was not afraid of hard work.  But there's a lot of subject-specific knowledge he did not know, but thought he had figured out.  For example, in an electrical sub-panel in an outbuilding, it was all hooked up correctly and made sure to label the buses... including "floating neutral".  If you're familiar with basic electrical work, you might know that having a floating neutral on a sub-panel is a really bad thing.  What he meant was "unbonded neutral", which is exactly how a sub-panel should be hooked up.  But he figured he knew it so he documented it and didn't think the rest thought.  Kind of the same with the river rock I guess.  There's drainage pipes and downspouts feed into them and all, but anything that doesn't make it in there goes under the house.  So I basically need to excavate a small french drain under the house and put a sump pump in it.  After fixing the river rock.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Sofa King in!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Planting tip.

If you’re making beds. Or planting a big ass tree like me, finishing the bed off before you even think of digging a hole. I see guys toss a tree in and dump soil around it, no.

Make the bed. Compact the edges, walking around it in close steps is fine. Dig your hole like the soil was always there. Plant your tree

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Metal tine rake. Scratch the fuck out of the ground until all the dead shit is gone.

Throw fresh soil down and feather it into the current lawn. It won't hurt the existing grass.

Throw seed down on the soil like you're feeding chicks. No too heavy in piles, nice even spread.

Now take that metal tine take and turn it upside down so the fingers of the rake are pointing up. Lightly sew the seed into the soil, you can kinds "grade" the soil even too. Toss a tiny bit of seed back on top.

Water it everyday. Don't flood it so it washed the seed away but nice and damp. If the seed dries out in germination it's dead. You must baby sit it daily until it sprouts.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It’s called polymeric sand. This “stone dust” can work up to 6” gaps so it’s great for flag stone. You sweep it in the cracks. Light blow the excess off. And water it down. Hardens like mortar and last a long time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346339/D995BA98-6FE6-4026-B913-409855D29334_jpe-2383342.JPG
View Quote

Thanks, that's what I told her we should use.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top