Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/14/2022 11:31:52 PM EDT
What was the story here? How come so many people in the gun industry were involved?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Badges and LEO creds for those well connected without having to attend an academy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
How?
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Small town police department found a way to raise money by selling LEOSA creds.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How?
View Quote

Reserve Deputy program....I don't remember the details, the commissions were legit, however it stretched the ethical boundaries to the outer edges of what is permissible.  

18Z50...

Damn, I just looked up the membership roster...Lot's of SEALS and a few GB's that were secretly badge bunnies!  
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Paid $$$ and got a reserve commission.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I seem to recall a member or two here were involved.
Ol' Mr. LaRue got himself a badge too, iirc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Hardly an uncommon practice
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Reserve Deputy program....I don't remember the details, the commissions were legit, however it stretched the ethical boundaries to the outer edges of what is permissible.  

18Z50...

Damn, I just looked up the membership roster...Lot's of SEALS and a few GB's that were secretly badge bunnies!  
View Quote
And a few GDers who are openly critical of LE ended up being on that list, too
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was gonna, say I've seen this come across more than a few cases on police news channels to question how widespread this activity is
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:18:12 AM EDT
[#13]
They did make you qual and show up a few times a year. Also had to participate on some patrols. If a small town is ok with it, I don't see the issue. The problem was that the mayor and city council weren't aware of it, thus the chief got into hot water.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#14]
This oughta bring the LaRue haters out of the woodwork.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think calling them badge bunnies may not be correct.  More likely they wanted the perceived ability to carry (almost) anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They did make you qual and show up a few times a year. Also had to participate on some patrols. If a small town is ok with it, I don't see the issue. The problem was that the mayor and city council weren't aware of it, thus the chief got into hot water.
View Quote

I thought one of the big criticism's was that the requirements weren't all being met and it was basically a pay for play situation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where else is it happening?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I thought one of the big criticism's was that the requirements weren't all being met and it was basically a pay for play situation.
View Quote

The entire thing was a sham.  The program wasn’t accredited through the state.  The participants were duped and didn’t even realize they were paying for the equivalent of a toy badge and ID bought at Walmart.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Where else is it happening?
View Quote

The politically connected getting reserve creds is not a new practice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Can't really blame the ones who did it to exercise their rights.

The "dress up and play cop" types ruined it for the rest of them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#21]
We’re they able to buy NFA weapons on Dept Letterhead and keep them at home ???
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's basically the only reason I'd do it.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m sure that happens somewhere, but I doubt entirely fake reserve programs are common.  If they are then it should be easy to name one or two.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:00:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The entire thing was a sham.  The program wasn’t accredited through the state.  The participants were duped and didn’t even realize they were paying for the equivalent of a toy badge and ID bought at Walmart.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm out of my depth but isn't that checked with LEOSA paperwork or is it all internal?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Did steven seagull become a reserve deputy?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

It does not work in most states though.

Some states have *some* formal training requirement to qualify for a badge.

Many states require you to go through the same police academy everyone else in the state has to.  You can be a Reserve, part time or full time, but you all go through the same suck.

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

18Z50...

View Quote

What's this?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:35:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’m sure that happens somewhere, but I doubt entirely fake reserve programs are common.  If they are then it should be easy to name one or two.
View Quote

Did they have fake judges hear those fake speeding tickets described in the article posted near the top of the thread?

Here's a goofball Louisiana Sheriff that figured he'd give creds to his family and he feels it's not unusual in his State to do so... and hell the only issue raised was the nepotism angle.  Lots of States have pretty high POST requirements, others evidently not so much

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/article_8599b63c-c450-5b39-8c8d-7b3121c1c6bb.amp.html

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Problematic indeed...

They may say these confer no real power but you can bet yer ass they're not handed out just so they can be framed and hung on a wall...

Even as the article states this is not at all uncommon for the politically connected.

https://www.nola.com/news/article_4aea3cb5-9622-51cb-a71d-15417f8b13d0.html
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:45:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the tiny detail of most of them not having attended an academy which pretty much every state requires to he certified LE
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:48:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been a Cop for 26 years. I don't have any NFA items, much less bought because of department letterhead. All of our weapons are issued and the only firearm that isn't checked in at end of shift is the sidearm.
No telling what some departments do, but don't go through P.O.S.T thinking you can just up and buy NFA items. It ain't happening like GD imagines.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:03:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

LEA's can get NFA items on a form 10.  There are no doubt some agencies that allow their employees to retain custody those items inbetween shifts...

I doubt the above applied to the group in question
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I LaRue was on it. Who else from here?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:21:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've been a Cop for 26 years. I don't have any NFA items, much less bought because of department letterhead. All of our weapons are issued and the only firearm that isn't checked in at end of shift is the sidearm.
No telling what some departments do, but don't go through P.O.S.T thinking you can just up and buy NFA items. It ain't happening like GD imagines.
View Quote

I know of a san patricio cop who shot through his neighbor's wall and couch with his department issued colt and his department gave the gun to a mutual FFL friend to evaluate.  

I don't know how often it happens but I know for a fact that it happens.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:52:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I know of a san patricio cop who shot through his neighbor's wall and couch with his department issued colt and his department gave the gun to a mutual FFL friend to evaluate.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agency having ownership and allowing an employee to store and use the firearm is different than the employee himself having ownership
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 3:23:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bad he wasn't a actor. Didn't the DA say the Baldwin gun could have fired because Job Bob who worked down the hall had a similar old timey revolver gun in which they came to the conclusions
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 4:12:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Doesn’t bother me.
Finding a way to fuck the system is 100% American.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 4:28:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 4:30:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't give a thousand bucks to the sheriff's re-election campaign for extra patrols. Give me my fucking badge!
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Doesn’t bother me.
Finding a way to fuck the system is 100% American.
View Quote

this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  Hardly an uncommon practice
View Quote

IM me contact info for a, uh, friend?  
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I would pay to play. Just to be able to liberally use the skinny pedal without recourse.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Hardly an uncommon practice

Boone County, Indiana Sheriffs Department will hook you up. A guy in the training industry of M4C fame has one and openly told everybody he was "commissioned" during a class I attended. Gotta love it when a guy from Virginia has a fake badge in Indiana so he can carry and attend FLETC classes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

SO TBL didnt back TBL?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What's this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

18Z50...

What's this?

@kozaki

18Z5O is the MOS designator for a Special Forces Senior NCO in the paygrade of E8 (Master Sergeant or First Sergeant).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top