Posted: 11/21/2021 11:32:34 PM EDT
The brands that are offered  are
Lyrics
Option
Phonak
Widex
Signia
Which brand and what model
I have no idea other than I am deaf as a doorbell and I am tired of not hearing anyone at meetings.

Hearing test scheduled Monday
ETA Costco is not an option. I have Cigna insurance and Costco is not in my network.
UPDATE
First thank to all for the recommendations and comments.
I went for the test. Dr checked my ears. My left ear is plugged up with dried blood and wax. The hearing Dr could not remove it. Until it is removed she cannot do the hearing test. SOB #$$$%$$!&&^****
G ot a appointment with a ENT Wednesday to get it cleaned out. Then the hearing test is Dec 7th.

Here is the kicker regardless of the left ear being plugged up I still hear better with it than the right ear. Go figure lol
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
huh?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to Costco.

/thread
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Widex.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve been very happy with my Phonak/Kirkland 9.0’s.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Woke up Easter Sunday deaf in my right ear.  After several doctors appointments, hearing test and a MRI, I was diagnosed with single sided deafness, reverse slope.  It happened overnight.

I can't hear low frequencies, and my hearing starts to come back once I get to the higher frequencies.  I still can't hear, but the hearing aid does help with the tinnitus somewhat, and helps a lot with the plugged ear sensation that comes with sudden deafness.  Just having noise in my right ear, makes my head not feel plugged up.  It's hard to describe.

I got fitted with Starkey brand this year.  I chose the "in the ear canal, half shell".  It's custom molded to my ear and fits perfect.  I can wear it all day long and not even know it's there.  3k for (1) aid.

Lucky for me, my left ear still works pretty well.

Good luck to you.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2021 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I have Oticon, but that's because Uncle Sam pays for them. Top of the line devices though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been happy with my Phonic, it takes a while to get used to all the noise.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Costco hearing aids + hearing test will most likely be less than $2000.  

Compare that to whatever Cigna covered hearing aids cost.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#10]
@fredshort may be able to help
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#11]
The microphone built into the hearing aids will never work as well as the one in the larger wireless remote mic.  Wife wears the remote or put it near the TV for that use.

In the car: wife wears remote mic, microphones in the hearing aids are muted, Bose noise cancelling headset over the hearing aids.

Using an iPhone as a remote mic works too but it has a slight delay, that causes an echo effect, not good.

Resound hearing aid external controller and remote mic work with the next generation hearing aids, this saves a few hundred dollars.

If rechargeables run down you are screwed, replaceable batteries can be changed.

Costco has the best service after the sale.  Costco might be cheaper than after insurance cost from another vendor.

Costco batteries are the deal.

Bose now has hearing aids, cost is about $860.

Hearing tests using the phone closely match those by a hearing aid vendor.

Women speak more quietly and cover their lips with the hand if they know you have bad hearing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Starkey, I love mine.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Costco hearing aids + hearing test will most likely be less than $2000.  

Compare that to whatever Cigna covered hearing aids cost.
View Quote

My deductible and out of pocket has been met.
Insurance will be paying 100%. And that's hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My deductible and out of pocket has been met.
Insurance will be paying 100%. And that's hard to beat.
View Quote

Sounds like you are GTG.

I thought I'd yell since you don't have them yet.

Edit:  My current hearing aids are 10 years old.  I'll probably get new ones soon.

Requirements:
- Rechargeable
- Bluetooth
- Programmable for a voice enhancing profile*

* We have ZVOX sound bars on our TVs. They have an Accuvoice feature that boosts the voice frequency range.  Night and day difference when watching TV.  I want this for my hearing aids as well.

Link Posted: 11/22/2021 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#15]
After wearing Starkey CIC($6k/pair)for about 6 years I switched to Lively behind the ear($2k/pair) and like them much better
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@fredshort may be able to help
View Quote

Here I am.

I can't speak for others, only my experiences.

Used Miracle Ear for years.  Switched to Unitron from an independent hearing service provider.

They were less than half price and I have had way less problems. Service has been great, will buy again.

I'm not at home so I don't have the model number.  Behind the ear.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#17]
My over-the-ear ones were a bitch to wear with eyeglasses and face masks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Gay. I'm not shoving anything into a hole in my body.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

When you grow up and your hearing fades, I bet you will change your mind.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

How the heck do you eat?
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Starkey, I love mine.
View Quote
This

ETA:  Although I'm sure that people can come up with cheaper alternatives that they "love", you pretty much get what you pay for.  An audiologist should be able to tell you how much of your hearing comprehension you have lost irreversibly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Starkey, I love mine.
This

And that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have Phonak rechargeable. They seem fine. I haven't used any others so can't comment on them.

They have some bluetooth capability to link to a phone and other devices. I don't use any of that though. I  don't really want my phone ringing in my ear.
View Quote

I want the bluetooth so that I can listen to music/audio books without having to have separate earbuds to keep up with.

That plus the ability to send the TV sound directly to my hearing aids at volume independent from the TV.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I want the bluetooth so that I can listen to music/audio books without having to have separate earbuds to keep up with.

That plus the ability to send the TV sound directly to my hearing aids at volume independent from the TV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have Phonak rechargeable. They seem fine. I haven't used any others so can't comment on them.

They have some bluetooth capability to link to a phone and other devices. I don't use any of that though. I  don't really want my phone ringing in my ear.

Some people love that feature and use it all the time.  My Dad is one.  He loves it.  I stopped using the feature honestly.  We have the same HA.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I am pretty young and my hearing has gotten much worse the past few years especially when it comes to speech.
I ended up getting the Oticon More 1. I am on and off construction site pretty often and needed something that was really going to enhance speech  without pumping in a ton of background noise.
I would highly recommend these if you have a hard time with hearing people speak and want something that offers Bluetooth and a little adjustability through an app on your phone.
This is my first set of HA’s so take that for what it’s worth.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#27]
My dad has had endless issues with hearing aids.  Recently he's had good results with the much cheaper OTC hearing amplifiers.  YMMV...

Even has a Bluetooth hearing amplifier paired with his cell phone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#28]
OP for what it’s worth I’ve been issued both Phonak and Oticon hearing aids.  My personal preference is the Phonak they have been bomb proof they were issued 5 yrs ago and are still going strong, they’re my backup set to my new Oticon’s.  The Oticon’s have already been replaced once and are going back in for fixing again.  I tried to get the new waterproof Phonak’s and I’m in line for them once the parts shortage is fixed for their chargers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Some people love that feature and use it all the time.  My Dad is one.  He loves it.  I stopped using the feature honestly.  We have the same HA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right ear only for me, and I don't like using Bluetooth to control my aid.  Makes me feel even more bound to carry my cell phone everywhere.

I had the audiologist program my selection button with three modes.  Normal, crowd and mute.  It's worked out great, no Bluetooth connection.

I tried music, TV and the phone using Bluetooth, but my ear is too jacked up.  It just doesn't work.  I can't listen to music anymore.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I never adjust the volume or do anything with the phone app. I messed with it when I first got them. Now I just put them in when I get up and forget about them until bed. I'm not going to adjust the volume because you're a low talker or wearing three masks behind a plexiglass screen. I just tell them I can't hear a fucking word you're saying and walk away.

For me, it's just all useless fluff that I'm not interested in.

It's fine if others want those features though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right ear only for me, and I don't like using Bluetooth to control my aid.  Makes me feel even more bound to carry my cell phone everywhere.

I had the audiologist program my selection button with three modes.  Normal, crowd and mute.  It's worked out great, no Bluetooth connection.

I tried music, TV and the phone using Bluetooth, but my ear is too jacked up.  It just doesn't work.  I can't listen to music anymore.

I never adjust the volume or do anything with the phone app. I messed with it when I first got them. Now I just put them in when I get up and forget about them until bed. I'm not going to adjust the volume because you're a low talker or wearing three masks behind a plexiglass screen. I just tell them I can't hear a fucking word you're saying and walk away.

My most used function is "mute".  Low frequencies cause my right ear to ring like a bell.  Mute is a godsend for me.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Generally insurance doesn't pay for them, and even if they do the copay is higher than the full cost at Costco.  So be sure that's not the case for you before you make up your mind.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My most used function is "mute".  Low frequencies cause my right ear to ring like a bell.  Mute is a godsend for me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with Waldo.  I'll ask you to speak up a couple of times, but then I'll give up.  I love popping the battery door open on mine when it's loud.  Saves battery life.  I've noticed that using bluetooth subtracts a day or a little more from battery life.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

. I  don't really want my phone ringing in my ear.
View Quote

That is funny. Only 33 minutes to the hearing test.
33-35 tears in construction.  Power tools, heavy equipment , Pyle driving and God only knows what else. Before 95 ear plugs were none existent
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I have Oticon.

Mine is a few years old with a removable rechargeable battery. I'm upgrading in January when my new insurance kicks in; the new rechargeable Oticons have a lithium battery that has over 24 hrs of use before needing charged, and will completely charge in 3 hours. I'll keep my old one as a spare.

I love being able to stream audio from my iPhone to my aids, and being able to turn them up using the app on my phone is awesome during hunting season. Being able to talk to someone like you are using speakerphone hands free, but their side of the conversation is streamed directly into your ear...
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm with Waldo.  I'll ask you to speak up a couple of times, but then I'll give up.  I love popping the battery door open on mine when it's loud.  Saves battery life.  I've noticed that using bluetooth subtracts a day or a little more from battery life.
View Quote

Mine is rechargeable, and there's a mode button on the aid, so it's a double tap and I'm in mute mode.  In mute mode, I get 20db suppression which comes in handy.

https://www.starkey.com/hearing-aids/styles/in-the-canal
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Woke up Easter Sunday deaf in my right ear.  After several doctors appointments, hearing test and a MRI, I was diagnosed with single sided deafness, reverse slope.  It happened overnight.

I can't hear low frequencies, and my hearing starts to come back once I get to the higher frequencies.  I still can't hear, but the hearing aid does help with the tinnitus somewhat, and helps a lot with the plugged ear sensation that comes with sudden deafness.  Just having noise in my right ear, makes my head not feel plugged up.  It's hard to describe.

I got fitted with Starkey brand this year.  I chose the "in the ear canal, half shell".  It's custom molded to my ear and fits perfect.  I can wear it all day long and not even know it's there.  3k for (1) aid.

Good luck to you.  

View Quote
You should look into a BAHA.

Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck to you.  

Thank you, but unfortunately my inner ear is toast.  They strapped a vibration microphone thingy to my skull and tested to see...I failed.  MRI confirmed.  My eardrum is fine, all the damage is inside.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2021 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Mine is rechargeable, and there's a mode button on the aid, so it's a double tap and I'm in mute mode.  In mute mode, I get 20db suppression which comes in handy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  I have Starkey Halo iQ behind the ear units.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Go to Costco.

/thread
View Quote

Absolutely! 100% Correct!!  
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How the heck do you eat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How the heck do you eat?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Mine are 100% free every 3 years, as long as I go to the plan provider and that's not Costco.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Generally insurance doesn't pay for them, and even if they do the copay is higher than the full cost at Costco.  So be sure that's not the case for you before you make up your mind.

Mine are 100% free every 3 years, as long as I go to the plan provider and that's not Costco.

This
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And that.
View Quote

Whiffle ball bat
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#45]
You might find this helpful or not. I was having diminished hearing capability. Had a hearing test at Costco and at a ENT doctors. Both wanted to sell me hearing aids, ENT's were much more expensive. Here is where it gets interesting. I went to my PCP and my blood pressure is higher than he would like it to be and my blood sugar is also. Started taking the medication he prescribed and changed my eating habits quite a bit. My hearing improved dramatically. Might be something to look into.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My left ear is plugged up with dried blood and wax. The hearing Dr could not remove it. Until it is removed she cannot do the hearing test. SOB #$$$%$$!&&^****
G ot a appointment with a ENT Wednesday to get it cleaned out. Then the hearing test is Dec 7th.

View Quote

Get some drops to start softening it up for the ENT.  It will help make their job easier on Wednesday.

https://www.kroger.com/p/debrox-earwax-removal-kit/0004203710479?fulfillment=PICKUP&searchType=default_search

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Get some drops to start softening it up for the ENT.  It will help make their job easier on Wednesday.

https://www.kroger.com/p/debrox-earwax-removal-kit/0004203710479?fulfillment=PICKUP&searchType=default_search

Good luck!
View Quote

Thank you
I will get some in the morning
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top