Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2021 4:20:24 PM EDT
For those with mild shooting related hearing loss…

I’ve lost a lot of the high range of my hearing and missed a lot of the small sounds. I can hear 99% of men’s voices, and 95% of women’s and children’s to put it in perspective, but don’t hear many bird sounds outside or small beeps or chimes on various things.

So I have been trialling some hearing aids.  To buy them is about $6k.  They worked well, as I would expect.  But before buying I decided to try some Apple AirPod Pros.  

The AirPods have a function where you can upload your audiogram and adjust outside noise to your exact hearing loss.  So far, they seem to work as well as the high end hearing aids, and for a small fraction of the cost.

My audiologist is not a fan because she says it seems rude to wear headphones when out and about.  But for my purposes, which I wouldn’t be wearing them all the time anyway, they seem to fit the bill.

CSB - but maybe it will help someone else as I can’t be the only one with reeeeeee sounds due to shooting.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't know they functioned as hearing aids. I might have to look into that.

Requires an iPhone evidently. Oh well, I'll just stay deaf in one ear, lol.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm continually amazed at the applications and capabilities of modern consumer tech.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to PooPoo Apple when the subject was only desktop computers.

Then Cell Phones and Tablets came out... Apple is the only way to go with those.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the the new 3rd Gen pros or will the 2nd gens work?

How do you upload your hearing profile.

I think these would be good for watching TV.

I can hear but sometimes I don’t understand exactly what someone said.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Rude? Too bad. Unless she wants to make up the $5750 difference.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the the new 3rd Gen pros or will the 2nd gens work?

How do you upload your hearing profile.

I think these would be good for watching TV.

I can hear but sometimes I don’t understand exactly what someone said.
View Quote

Here are the instructions that I used

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT211218?cid=mc-ols-audio-article_ht211218-ios_ui-06042020

It lists the ones below, but may need to verify as I used 3rd gen Pros (I didn’t own any already)

AirPods (3rd generation)
AirPods Max
Apple EarPods (with 3.5mm Headphone Plug or Lightning Connector)
AirPods (2nd generation)
AirPods Pro
Powerbeats
Powerbeats Pro
Beats Solo Pro

You upload the audiogram to the Health App on your phone and it synchs it.  

I messed around without the Audiogram first and can get it almost as good with trial and error sliding the various settings around.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I absolutely love my iPhone capability with my hearing aid. Having a hearing aid isn't as much of a disability now, it's a superpower!

I love streaming stuff to it while on the stand hunting, completely silent to anything outside my ear... everything adjustable from the phone... I wear it more than I normally would just because of all this cool stuff I can do with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I absolutely love my iPhone capability with my hearing aid. Having a hearing aid isn't as much of a disability now, it's a superpower!

I love streaming stuff to it while on the stand hunting, completely silent to anything outside my ear... everything adjustable from the phone... I wear it more than I normally would just because of all this cool stuff I can do with it.
View Quote

Yeah, just messing around with it now.  Have figured out there is a “Live listen” setting on the iPhone that turns the iPhone into a microphone.  It picks up additional sounds and sends it to the AirPods.  Would give superhearing, kind of like the GameEar products.  

Obviously it won’t block out a gunshot though so hearing protection is still required.  I wonder if you could put muffs over the AirPods, use the iPhone as the microphone and have amplified hearing and hearing protection for shooting at the same time.

Edit:  interesting thing for the super-spy.  You can leave the phone in the other side of the house and it picks up whatever conversation is happening and sends it to the AirPods.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually e-mailed Tim Cook a couple years ago about how Apple should get into the hearing aid market. Fuck cars.

They excel in micro, audio technology, and Apple puts a big focus on "Accessibility"/Health  features, and there is a huge, growing market in Boomers going deaf.

If they DO come out with hearing aids, you can thank me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting... I am tired of asking people to repeat themselves but don't want to spring for hearing aids.

Might be worth a try.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#11]
“Sir you can not listen to music at work”

“Oh these? They are my hearing aides, sorry for the Confusion, you must feel pretty awkward right now, telling an employe with a handicap that he can’t use his hearing aids during employment hours, hold on I love this song”......
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Ya it’s a pretty kick ass new feature. It launched a few weeks ago via software update.
I work in a loud environment and keep one of the earbuds in so I can hear my phone ring. The new feature helps to understand what people are saying much easier.
I also like the sound generator (stream, ocean, rain, white noise,..)
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting... I am tired of asking people to repeat themselves but don't want to spring for hearing aids.

Might be worth a try.
View Quote

The store I bought them from said they can be returned if they don’t work out for me, so I figured there is no downside to trying them out for a few days.  If they work as I hope they do, great.  If not, I’ll return them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Here are the instructions that I used

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT211218?cid=mc-ols-audio-article_ht211218-ios_ui-06042020

It lists the ones below, but may need to verify as I used 3rd gen Pros (I didn’t own any already)

AirPods (3rd generation)
AirPods Max
Apple EarPods (with 3.5mm Headphone Plug or Lightning Connector)
AirPods (2nd generation)
AirPods Pro
Powerbeats
Powerbeats Pro
Beats Solo Pro

You upload the audiogram to the Health App on your phone and it synchs it.  

I messed around without the Audiogram first and can get it almost as good with trial and error sliding the various settings around.
View Quote

any Idea if the new Beats fit pro will be added to the list? It too is running the H1 chip that the airpods 3rd gen is running.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#15]
OST
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#16]
More info on how to adjust these? Had them for atleast a year and have significant high tone hearing loss in my right ear due to an accident. Can you customize each side?
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my quiet world.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
More info on how to adjust these? Had them for atleast a year and have significant high tone hearing loss in my right ear due to an accident. Can you customize each side?
View Quote

Yes, the audiogram is customized for each side.

I downloaded an app called Mimi hearing test to record the audiogram, but believe you can get one from your audiologist as well.  I just sat in a quiet place and the hearing test took maybe 10 minutes.

I then ticked a setting that allowed Mimi hearing test to share the audiogram with the Apple Health App.

Then enabled audiogram on the AirPods and selected the one I wanted it to use.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Apple's stuff works because a judge gave them complete control over hardware and software.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like my quiet world.
View Quote

no is more of an EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For those with mild shooting related hearing loss…

I’ve lost a lot of the high range of my hearing and missed a lot of the small sounds. I can hear 99% of men’s voices, and 95% of women’s and children’s to put it in perspective, but don’t hear many bird sounds outside or small beeps or chimes on various things.

So I have been trialling some hearing aids.  To buy them is about $6k.  They worked well, as I would expect.  But before buying I decided to try some Apple AirPod Pros.  

The AirPods have a function where you can upload your audiogram and adjust outside noise to your exact hearing loss.  So far, they seem to work as well as the high end hearing aids, and for a small fraction of the cost.

My audiologist is not a fan because she says it seems rude to wear headphones when out and about loses her commission.  But for my purposes, which I wouldn’t be wearing them all the time anyway, they seem to fit the bill.

CSB - but maybe it will help someone else as I can’t be the only one with reeeeeee sounds due to shooting.
View Quote

Fixed.  I had no idea this was possible, but I’m paying attention now!
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Apple's stuff works because a judge gave them complete control over hardware and software.
View Quote

No, it works because they make their own hardware and software and they have standards -- unlike some other companies.  Judges don't have anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#23]
BTW for anyone else who actually does need hearing aids -- go to Costco, don't buy them from your audiologist.  80% off the price your audiologist will charge you for literally the same device.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, just messing around with it now.  Have figured out there is a “Live listen” setting on the iPhone that turns the iPhone into a microphone.  It picks up additional sounds and sends it to the AirPods.  Would give superhearing, kind of like the GameEar products.  

Obviously it won’t block out a gunshot though so hearing protection is still required.  I wonder if you could put muffs over the AirPods, use the iPhone as the microphone and have amplified hearing and hearing protection for shooting at the same time.

Edit:  interesting thing for the super-spy.  You can leave the phone in the other side of the house and it picks up whatever conversation is happening and sends it to the AirPods.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I e actually done this at the range with other shooters nearby. It satisfies my purposes to that end -

AirPod Pros + foam tips + inner ear hooks

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
BTW for anyone else who actually does need hearing aids -- go to Costco, don't buy them from your audiologist.  80% off the price your audiologist will charge you for literally the same device.
View Quote

I was ready to do that, but my health care package only has a 10% copay on hearing aids.

I can get new ones every 3 years.

So I get my hearing aids at the audiologist, I'm getting two new ones in January when we start our new plan. Lithium battery rechargable, last over 24 hours per charge and charge completely in about 3 hours.

The point is, before you go to Costco, look at your insurance and see what benefits you have.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Pretty cool OP! Thanks! I used this and found my current hearing loss but I am not sure it takes tinnitus into account.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been an Android guy for years but am thinking of moving to Apple.
Android Auto it terrible, BTW.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I generally say fuck apple, but it is cool you found a much cheaper solution that works for you OP.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Iphones work well enough but unless my experience is wildly different than most they have their own quirks and issues.   My wife's phone seems to decide when it wants to notify of a text based on atmospheric pressure and prevalent wind direction.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Hell yes! Thank you OP!

I didn’t know that existed, and I’m in this place. (Top bar)

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top