Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not quite the muscle car but definitely reflective of the 70's...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2702/Denim_Gremlin_jpg-2103964.JPG
AMC Denim Gremlin
View Quote

I had a piss yellow version of that car. It ran well with a 6 cylinder motor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking back, the 70s beat the shit out of the 80s for cars, fashion, music and movies.

Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The broads looked pretty good.  Lots of flat asses and big bush though.

Cars sucked

Music was amazing

OP has issues
View Quote

But cool 60's cars were just "used cars" in the 70's and priced accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Crossman 760 would blow through the can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can’t believe no one has brought up the most awesome thing for a boy wits a daisy BB gun. Steel beverage cans. You could spend an entire day shooting those and only dent and knock them over. It was awesome.

True. We were poor. When the cans turned aluminum my little Daisy would rip them to shreds quickly. No fun.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Gross?  OP what are you 12
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For about 3 years, then it all went horribly wrong.
View Quote

Four if you count the last real hurrah known as the SD 455 Trans Am.

The end of the muscle car started in 1970 with the clean air act and the newly minted EPA as well as insurance companies. Add the OPEC oil crisis a few years later. The government also mandated catalytic converters in 1975 along with the all new C.A.F.E. standards. The C.A.F.E. standards wouldn't take effect until 1978 but would make for automakers to scramble to put something together because it would require a fleet fuel economy average of 27.5 miles per gallon by 1985. Pretty much double from 1975.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It was grungier in the late 60s... 70s was a period of cleaning up... then disco happened.
View Quote

Followed by Big Hair rock bands. It was the inevitable turn of decline for the US. Hippie communists settling into those Academic teaching jobs. Hairy-legged feminists screaming patriarchy getting all of the local government jobs. SkyNet coming into being. The K-Car.

80's car styling was uggghhhh!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:16:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not quite the muscle car but definitely reflective of the 70's...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2702/Denim_Gremlin_jpg-2103964.JPG
AMC Denim Gremlin
View Quote

You forgot about the goldfish bowl on wheels, the AMC Pacer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also wasn't the crime rate like double what it is now?
View Quote

In the big cities. Liberal policies just made places like NYC and Chicago complete shitholes during the 70's, a byproduct of the New Left and the '68 revolution. Hippies!

It got worse in the 80's with cocaine and then crack cocaine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I lived through it.

The horror... the horror... The Bee-Gees...

The 1980s was proof that God loves us.

View Quote

He redeemed us with Ronald Reagan.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Grad hs 1970,  enjoyed this trip down memory lane.  What's cool after 8 pages is obviously many of us while pushing 70 if not there already still dig guns, cars, rock, hot babes, etc.  Never too old to rock & roll...
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Grad hs 1970,  enjoyed this trip down memory lane.  What's cool after 8 pages is obviously many of us while pushing 70 if not there already still dig guns, cars, rock, hot babes, etc.  Never too old to rock & roll...
View Quote

Damn skippy!
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Skinny women as far as the eye could see…..

That wasn’t gross at all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The 70s had some of the best music ever.  You're just ignoring it by focusing on disco.  Disco was pop for the 70s and pop always sucks.  
The 70s also had some of the coolest muscle cars ever.  You're also ignoring them.
But yes, the fashions sucked.
View Quote

I went to great rock concerts in the 70's! Drugs everywhere. As for fashion, daisy dukes, halter tops and Jesus sandals were pretty damn comfy. I can't complain.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In the big cities. Liberal policies just made places like NYC and Chicago complete shitholes during the 70's, a byproduct of the New Left and the '68 revolution. Hippies!

View Quote

And how have these cities improved now?
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I went to great rock concerts in the 70's! Drugs everywhere. As for fashion, daisy dukes, halter tops and Jesus sandals were pretty damn comfy. I can't complain.
View Quote

Hell, my friends and I would catch Red Sox games at Fenway and sit in the bleacher seats.

Tickets cost $1.50 and it was always a huge party out there with joints passed left and right the entire game.

Girls in short cotton dresses would walk by the bullpen giving the pitchers out there beaver shots all game long. Great fun.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#19]
You could walk out of Walmart, Kmart, whatever mart you liked with all the .22LR you wanted for about two cents a round and not give a tinker's damn about finding more later. It was always there.  I shit you not!
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NYC made leaps and bounds better improvements with Guilliani.
Made the place livable again.

Chicago is just gangsta.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to think that until I started watching shows from the 70s-80s, we watched the old Wonder Woman TV shows from the 1970s, and I believe that woman were hotter then. They were more feminine and their outfits were nice. Same with Star Trek women, much more attractive then woman today. Society valued beauty more then obesity.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Chicago is just gangsta.
View Quote

Not back when guilliani was there -now.

You know, now, where people get raped in the street. Where thugs walk past white people, punch them, and keep on walking. Where people get pushed onto subway tracks. Where mobs steal everything in the store. Etc and so on.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You could walk out of Walmart, Kmart, whatever mart you liked with all the .22LR you wanted for about two cents a round and not give a tinker's damn about finding more later. It was always there.  I shit you not!
View Quote
There were four carry-outs in my 6000ish pop hometown in West Central Ohio.  All four carried .22LR.  I and a couple of friends would do summer plinking just outside of town.  We'd walk across town carrying our rifles to go buy a box of ammo.  Nobody cared.   Did this a lot from about age 12 to 15 when hanging out at the pool with girls got a lot more interesting than shooting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you can't dig this I don't know what to tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyle6hZLxRc
View Quote

I can dig it.

Peace.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I was born in 69. I'll take it. I had a wonderful childhood.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#28]
The decor for me was the worst.  Avocado green and brown all over the place.  Not sure what they were thinking with that but we all saw it as normal lol.  The neon pastels of the eighties were a welcome change.  In all, though, the seventies (and eighties) were the last truly free decades and I cherish every memory from back then.  In fact, I would be willing to give up just about everything in the modern era to go back. The younger people will never believe me but it was a far better time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I was a teenager in the 70s.  It was great.  

It wasn’t so much the 70s……….but it was being a teenager.  

Being a teenager is a great time of life.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I turned 19 in 1970

I had a blast in the 70's

View Quote

Being 19 is fun……….no matter what decade it is.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I had a big belt metal buckle with a tractor trailer on it. I was also in elementary school.
View Quote

those can be useful in fights.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you can't dig this I don't know what to tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyle6hZLxRc
View Quote

Totally digging Paul Rodgers is a freak of nature. Every time I have seen him, his voice sounds just like it did in this video. He is quite the front man.

Oh yeah, concert tix were $5 +/- for advance or at the door. Except for the Stones in '75, they were $10... but it was for J. Geils, Rufus, Atlanta Rhythm Section and The Stones. Talk about drugs everywhere...
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You know, now, where people get raped in the street. Where thugs walk past white people, punch them, and keep on walking. Where people get pushed onto subway tracks. Where mobs steal everything in the store. Etc and so on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chicago is just gangsta.

Commies. Commies tooki it back over.

*cough* Deblasio *cough*
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The hippies from the 70's are the politicians ruining shit now. It's funny that their mantra went from "power to the people" to "the government knows best!"
View Quote

A completely normal and expected transformation. As you age and hopefully learn more, at some point you will become conservative and realize what is actually important. You will, for example, realize that 'law and order' is a very desirable state.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A completely normal and expected transformation. As you age and hopefully learn more, at some point you will become conservative and realize what is actually important. You will, for example, realize that 'law and order' is a very desirable state.
View Quote

Yep.

I voted for Mondale.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Only if you bought new.  High school kids could afford the classic 60s muscle cars.  

It was a great time to be alive and a teenager.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 70s also had some of the coolest muscle cars ever.  You're also ignoring them.
But yes, the fashions sucked.

Late 60s were peak muscle.

70s were emission-choked shit.

Only if you bought new.  High school kids could afford the classic 60s muscle cars.  

It was a great time to be alive and a teenager.

Yep, in the late 70's young people could afford all that 60's muscle cars, at the time most were just used cars. David0858, owner of '70 Challenger with a 440 out of a race car, a '67 400 Firebird, a '69 Firebird and briefly a '68 Super Bee.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It wasn't so much the 70s.but it was being a teenager.  

View Quote
Then why are the teenagers now depressed anxious and sullen?
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#41]
QUUAAAALLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDEEEESSS

Roxy Music - Ladytron (Old Grey Whistle Test, 1972)
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I grew up in the 70's, would trade it for the current shit show in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depressed, anxious, sullen adults polling them ?

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#45]
In my not so valued opinion, Carter and Disco, and cars built after 1972 were the main things that sucked about the 70's.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#46]
The 70’s were a great time to be a kid. The 80’s were the motherfucking best time to be a teen.  God I truly loved that time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My biggest issue with the 70's was that I had no money.  
View Quote

Me too, but if i could scrounge up a $20, i could get a decent, used starter at Bowie's junk yard to get the car running right again. I recall driving a whole week with a bad starter, but it was a three on the tree manual tranny. You don't really need a starter if you park on hill tops.

My girlfriend lived on a hill. Roll off starting also afforded a qiet, stealthy egress if you snuck out way after you were supposed to.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can’t believe no one has brought up the most awesome thing for a boy wits a daisy BB gun. Steel beverage cans. You could spend an entire day shooting those and only dent and knock them over. It was awesome.

The Red Rider was the "iconic" BB of America, but they sucked balls. The 760 was was pure business with a pellet and at least ten pumps. I cannot count how many rats mine has killed. Still have mine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Question for all the ones that think the 70's and 80's were so much worse than now:

Why are we here? Why is practically every thread bitching about some current issue that is so unbelievable and illogical it defies all sense of reality?

Why are we not singing the praises of this glorious new normal, this new unthinkable reality we live in? Why aren't we happy?

Even the music of that era was happy, unless you were a dirty hippie living in the past wailing Neil young songs. You might not have liked disco but it was happy.

Why are we complaining about the likes of Gavin  Newsom and trying to get him recalled? Why is Cuomo so bad.  Why are we obsessed with "bugging out"? We should be happy things have improved so much, that there is so much opportunity now. Why do we constantly move from neighborhood to neighborhood fleeing this awesome modern greatness?

As far as the music, all I read about here is how bad current music is. When was it good? You don't like old music, you don't like new music, you don't like the 70's and 80's, you don't seem to be able to find any redeeming features now either, every thread is bitching.

Do you like the current dating scene? Do you like the current acceptance of obesity? Judging from the pics it seems like you do. I just read a thread by a hambeast trying to get into shape. Part of the "exercise" is walking 30 min a few times a week. Do you realize how little that is? People used to play tennis for hours. Remember tennis?

And litter is the big hallmark of the era? There isn't litter now? Maybe if you got out of your basement you would see it.

Ugly decor? Really? Are you unable to slop some paint on the walls? We had a few bad years of Carter but at least we were "allowed" to speak out about them, it was only a few years. How long have we been hearing about racism racism racism sexism genders trannies, and now have come to the point we have a president that falls asleep, poops himself, and refuses to answer questions. We are censored from commenting.  We have an open border with turd worlders from all over the world come as citizens live in the streets.

Do you think this is going to go away in a few years?  Our country is 30 something in math and science, china is first. Maybe it's a good thing they are making the world's supplies, we sure aren't able to do it anymore. Look at how many college grads don't know how many stars are on the flag, how many states there are, the Berlin wall.

Fortunately we took down all those pesky historical monuments, it's not like anyone remembers their significance.

I've noticed as the membership gets younger the topics get stupider. Why does ice float?  Really?

Is it the black national anthem you like so much? The "diversity" hiring? The awesome technology that can account for where people were at any given time and arrest them if where they were is not approved even though it was a perfectly legal place to be?

Of course this only goes so far, for some reason this technology can't be used to solve actual crime.

Oh I forgot, there is no crime anymore. As it turns out diversity really was our strength.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That's always been a thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't so much the 70s.but it was being a teenager.  

That's always been a thing.

It wasn't a thing when I was a teen but then I was actually alive during the era everyone seems to think they know so much about.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top