Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/8/2004 4:41:57 PM EDT
Well finaly I got to shoot XM-8 and I have tio say my thoughts going to the range is this thing is going to be junk. Well I arrive at range and nobody is shooting so I get the XM-8 all to myself for the 1 1/2 hours I could spare today. after a 1 min intro I load up a mag and I let it rip!! well it was a little hard to control on full auto at first but I got used to it and I have to say we were clinking  targets every shot at 100M (kneeling on semi auto). The sight is just a normal red dot that has brightness adjustments like an EOtech (2 buttons on top). The only issue is there are no Iron sights and if the battery goes dead you are SOL. The sight has a built in IR laser that is calibrated with the red dot. The XM-8 has no rail system but it has oval shape mounting holes on the receiver for lights etc. To my suprise they finaly have put a bayonet lug on the rifle. The XM-8 definately needs a vertical grip (for full auto anyway) Disasembly was easy, remove the pins and it pretty much comes apart. The only thing it needs are captive takedown pins, (its all fun in games until you lose a pin). The grenade launcher was pretty inpresive it replaces the handguard and is mounted with one pin. The trigger is double action so there is no need to open it and recock in case of a malfunction, basicaly you could continue to pull the trigger until it fires or you decide its a dud. next page I will discuss the XM-8 in the Squad automatic rifle role.
 FREE

Pics

And of course we must have the " MOLON LABE" pic
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats that stupid bumper looking thing on the end of the grip?

Edit: BTW cool, thank you
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
So which IYHO is better - the M16 or the XM8?

We gotta know!
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
O.K. you are just plain cool!!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll say this - the rifle looks a lot more solid in appearance, especially the first picture, than I have seen before. Every other picture I have seen made it look really flimsy, but it looks OK now, almost like an issue weapon.
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
nice to see some first hand reports from someone we can trust.

About how many rounds did you get to put through it?

Mabye I'm not seeing it but is the only difference between this and the G36 the modularity and looks?
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for posting the cool pics along with the report...although I'm sure it is nothing new, this is the first time I have seen one broken down...cool...
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Real to life use of this gun.

Thanks Free!

I still like the AR better.

Seeing how I have never fired a M4 or much less held a XM8.
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Does the stock have two, telescoping segments?  The weapon in the take-down photo doesn't look like the weapon in the firing photo--the stock designs are different...or something is missing?.  

Oh, and the fire control switch is on the wrong side.    Is there one on the left side too?
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#14]
That little shortly model looks pretty sweet, but ballistics on the .223 out of there must suck!  What length of barrel is on the model sitting on the ground?  Did you shoot that one also?  So, did you fire off some full auto one handed, like that video someone posted?
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I note the lame "flipper" mag release. (yuck)

Does the bolt stay back after the last round?

thanks for the pics! h.gif
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Did you IMT with it?
Stock looks like junk?  How did it feel?
Overall, what is the win?  Why is it worth replacing the M4?
While it has a bayonet lug, will the flash suppressor fit a standard bayonet hole?  Looks bigger than a M-16 Flash suppressor.
What are the weight savings?
The IR illuminator, does it have a white light option?
No BUIS?  That should be a non-starter.  I thought the sight had an etched reticle that acted as a BUIS (BUGS(Back up glass sight))
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanx man. Great write up and pics.

edited to add -

Ugly gun. Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Overall, what is the win?  Why is it worth replacing the M4 M16?

Fixed to say what I think you were trying to say, but mistyped...
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#19]
XM-8 continued

SAW

Well after having fun with the shorty I wanted some trigger time on HK's version of the SAW. As in the pics below it has a optical sight like a ACOG with a red dot in the center. It looked like something from Robo cop (must have one!). In this configuration it could be used as a SPR/designated rifleman or a SAW. Due to my lack of patience and wanting to throw as much lead downrange as possible I decided I would fire it full auto only (Uncle Sams bullets are free) I picked it up I thought wow! this thing is light! less than 10lbs if I had to guess. I had one of the Soldiers hand me C-mag to see what she could do. I then flipped the happy switch and let her rip!! very nice!! little recoil and very little muzzle climb, needles to say I was impressed. I was equaly impressed by the C-mag, it had zero malfunctions. I was told it was an improved model, maybe C-mags are getting better.  This rifle is light and it was easier to keep on target than a SAW IMO. Now the magic question? Do I think it is better than the M16/M4? It could be, I think I would need to spend more time with it to give a honest answer. I will say this, it is definatly a step in the right direction. I have to say I love this rifle. easy to maintain,Modular and requires little to no cleaning I want one! Our soldiers need to get their hands on it and run it thru the paces, If it functions as well as it did today in the hands of a Infantry squad I think we will have a winner.
  FREE

PICS

Also here is the new HK 50 cal. I didnt have time to shoot it but it looks damn cool!! It can be converted to 25MM with a barrel/bolt/feed tray change in minutes.
Elcan as a optic

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Not sure something to keep the bottom of your hand from hitting the ground during 3-5 second rushes I suppose. They said it can be used to store batts as it will pop off.
   FREE

Quoted:
Whats that stupid bumper looking thing on the end of the grip?

Edit: BTW cool, thank you

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I put about 400+ rounds thru it. Yea you are correct its a fancy G36 with improved optics.
  FREE

Quoted:
nice to see some first hand reports from someone we can trust.

About how many rounds did you get to put through it?

Mabye I'm not seeing it but is the only difference between this and the G36 the modularity and looks?

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#22]
still has the uber gay nike swoosh 'carry handle'

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the report.

Glad to hear about it from someone I trust.
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#25]
All of the stocks are interchangable. you can have the MP5 style or the regular style. The non MP style is just a telescoping stock that is adjusted by a lever on the bottom of the stock. The MP style is has a button on the rear of the receiver for colapsing it.
 FREE

Quoted:
Does the stock have two, telescoping segments?  The weapon in the take-down photo doesn't look like the weapon in the firing photo--the stock designs are different...or something is missing?.  

Oh, and the fire control switch is on the wrong side.    Is there one on the left side too?

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#26]
You, literaly have the best job in the world, don't you?

I hate you

Thanks a lot for the field report.
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Is the SAW version open or closed bolt?
Quick change barrel?
Light weight is cool, but can it keep up the volume of fire?
We tried the M-16 in the Automatic Weapon role and it didn't do well?
I haven't seen the thing but i am highly sceptical?
I just don't see the win.
Hell, put a C-mag on an M16A3 and you would have the same effect it would appear.
I don't like the proprietary optics.
With the current M-4, at least you can use anything that ARMS makes a mount for.
This looks more like a money grab by HK than a real improvement.
If they had a standard rail, I wouldn't be so pissed.
And no BUIS is asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Also here is the new HK 50 cal. I didnt have time to shoot it but it looks damn cool!! It can be converted to 25MM with a barrel/bolt/feed tray change in minutes.
Elcan as a optic
pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/4474100/56058978.jpg

I hope the 25mm barrel has a muzzle brake!

Now a single shot 25mm would be perfect in EOD circles for Ordnance disruption of big items and IED's!  Plus I would like to see its effects on bad guys!
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I hate you

You ever humped 30 Miles with 80 pounds on your back?

More complaints.
How much money did we just spend on ACOGs and M68s(Aimpoints)
Now we junk those because HK doesn't want to share?
If these things are so shit-hot, how come CAG hasn't been using G-36s for the past 8 years?
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Yea The shorty is only for vehicle crews (M3 greasegun replacement) I dont think it is meant as a CQB weapon due to the reduced velocity caused by the short barrel. and yes I was shooting the shorty. I didnt fire it one handed (bad example to the younger troops running range)
   FREE

Quoted:
That little shortly model looks pretty sweet, but ballistics on the .223 out of there must suck!  What length of barrel is on the model sitting on the ground?  Did you shoot that one also?  So, did you fire off some full auto one handed, like that video someone posted?

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Yea the mag release will take some getting used to. And yes the bolt stay to the rear on the last round with 30rd mags but not the Beta mag.
  FREE

Quoted:
I note the lame "flipper" mag release. (yuck)

Does the bolt stay back after the last round?

thanks for the pics!

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yea the mag release will take some getting used to. And yes the bolt stay to the rear on the last round with 30rd mags but not the Beta mag.
  FREE

That's SOP for a Beta; they don't have a raised portion for the BHO to catch on. That's specific to Betas, and not to any rifle platform.
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#34]
It looks like a squirt gun...not menacing at all.  Maybe a crude phazer gun.  I guess I am not ready for the futuristic gun looks yet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
More complaints.
If these things are so shit-hot, how come CAG hasn't been using G-36s for the past 8 years?

Yup, it'd be easier to swallow if H&K wasn't so greedy (typical) and put a flattop rail on in and an optional rail system on the forend so existing optics/lasers/lights/etc. could be used with their weapon.

But apparently they are going for the whole kit (laser, optics, lights, etc.) all conviently made in house.  Sounds like a dream contract if they get one, I wonder how many politicians will be getting fat 'donations' over this one...
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It looks like a squirt gun...not menacing at all.  Maybe a crude phazer gun.  I guess I am not ready for the futuristic gun looks yet.

Why not?

We're in the future.

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Dunno...it still sounds like a solution desperately in search of a problem.

Thanks for the report.

By the way Free, which unit are you in?  My dad was XO, 1/325th in 1976.
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Well finaly I got to shoot XM-8 and I have tio say my thoughts going to the range is this thing is going to be junk. Well I arrive at range and nobody is shooting so I get the XM-8 all to myself for the 1 1/2 hours I could spare today. after a 1 min intro I load up a mag and I let it rip!! well it was a little hard to control on full auto at first but I got used to it and I have to say we were clinking  targets every shot at 100M (kneeling on semi auto). The sight is just a normal red dot that has brightness adjustments like an EOtech (2 buttons on top). The only issue is there are no Iron sights and if the battery goes dead you are SOL. The sight has a built in IR laser that is calibrated with the red dot. The XM-8 has no rail system but it has oval shape mounting holes on the receiver for lights etc. To my suprise they finaly have put a bayonet lug on the rifle. The XM-8 definately needs a vertical grip (for full auto anyway) Disasembly was easy, remove the pins and it pretty much comes apart. The only thing it needs are captive takedown pins, (its all fun in games until you lose a pin). The grenade launcher was pretty inpresive it replaces the handguard and is mounted with one pin. The trigger is double action so there is no need to open it and recock in case of a malfunction, basicaly you could continue to pull the trigger until it fires or you decide its a dud. next page I will discuss the XM-8 in the Squad automatic rifle role.
 FREE

Pics
pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/4474100/56059503.jpg
pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/4474100/56058967.jpg
pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/4474100/56058960.jpg

pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/4474100/56058924.jpg

This doesn't sound too good at all. And all this crap after HOW many years of development?

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate you

More complaints.

Ain't that the truth!  I used to watch the 11B's from the 25th ID march past our motor pool (84th Eng) on their way up KoleKole and hump the Mauka over to Makua valley!  I pitied the guys in the Mortar platoon, they had "I'd love to kill my recruiter" looks on their faces!  We Engineers would be sitting at our picnic table under cover sipping on cool sodas as they marched by!
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate you

More complaints.

Ain't that the truth!  I used to watch the 11B's from the 25th ID march past our motor pool (84th Eng) on their way up KoleKole and hump the Mauka over to Makua valley!  I pitied the guys in the Mortar platoon, they had "I'd love to kill my recruiter" looks on their faces!  We Engineers would be sitting at our picnic table under cover sipping on cool sodas as they marched by!

When were you in 84th?
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#42]
No I did not IMT with it. This would be a factor that is why we gotta get it to the boys and let them run it thru the paces.

The stock felt fine to me. I wasnt to impressed with the MP5 style but what do you expect from 2 metal rails.

The only thing It has going over the M4/M16 in the piston Operating system. I know why not just use the HK M4 upper? good question. I was told HK will not be relesing the upper as it might interfere with the Army buying the XM-8.

The one with the lug had a smaller FH but I suspect HK will have their own bayonet(more $$)

I could not tell you about the IR as I didnt get a chance to use it.

the sight on the shorty was a red dot only (no reticle). The optics on the SPR /SAW version had crosshairs with a illuminated red dot.

Quoted:
Did you IMT with it?
While it has a bayonet lug, will the flash suppressor fit a standard bayonet hole?  Looks bigger than a M-16 Flash suppressor.
No BUIS?  That should be a non-starter.  I thought the sight had an etched reticle that acted as a BUIS (BUGS(Back up glass sight))

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/4474100/56058924.jpg

That is one UGLY POS!

The gun's pretty ugly, too!
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate you

More complaints.

When were you in 84th?

1991-1994 in 2nd Plt C Co 84th Eng!  My former Platoon Sergeant became the  1SG for A Co in 94  and now is the CSM there!  CSM Thomas!
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate you

More complaints.

When were you in 84th?

1991-1994 in 2nd Plt C Co 84th Eng!  My former Platoon Sergeant became the  1SG for A Co in 94  and now is the CSM there!  CSM Thomas!

As long as we are sucking each others dicks...
I commanded there from 2000-2001 (Company A)  I was also a BMO for 2 years.
I left engineers after that Bullshit, too.
I met CSM Thomas.  He got there just as I was leaving I think.
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#46]
It's getting entirely too hooah in here!
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
No I did not IMT with it. This would be a factor that is why we gotta get it to the boys and let them run it thru the paces.

The stock felt fine to me. I wasnt to impressed with the MP5 style but what do you expect from 2 metal rails.

The only thing It has going over the M4/M16 in the piston Operating system. I know why not just use the HK M4 upper? good question. I was told HK will not be relesing the upper as it might interfere with the Army buying the XM-8.

The one with the lug had a smaller FH but I suspect HK will have their own bayonet(more $$)

I could not tell you about the IR as I didnt get a chance to use it.

the sight on the shorty was a red dot only (no reticle). The optics on the SPR /SAW version had crosshairs with a illuminated red dot.

Quoted:
Did you IMT with it?

You have a lot of power in this thing.  As a senior NCO in the 82nd, if you bring up a lot of gripes, you can kill this.  Or you can make them do what you want.
Tell them you have a TA-31 which is the better optic.
Ask for the common rails so we can use optics we already know and trust.
Tell them the trigger sucks and you wish they would just use the gas piston upper.
When you don't have new boots or new helmets or new comms, it will be because the Army spent a fortune on this thing.
You are one of a very few people who will decide the future for our Army.  Be hyper-critical because all of us slobs don't get a say in this.
You do.
BLUF.
What is the win?  Other than you don't have to clean it as much.
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#48]
First of all I am not selling out the M4 I am just giving a range report on what I experienced today.
The barrel is not quick change which is bad for a SAW(This would need to be fixed).
The SAW/SPR VERSION is closed bolt like the rest of the XM-8's. I dont think it will replace the M240. I was even told that it could never be used to replace the med machine gun (M240/M60) as eventualy any plastic will melt under that rate of fire.

I agree the XM-8 needs a rail. no need in scraping all of the current optics, but I like the idea of one zero for both the day and night optics. Keep in mind these are just my opinions and the XM-8 will need further trials before we trust them with our soldiers lifes. The XM-8 still has some growing to do but with a few changes this will be a great rifle.

My advice is shoot one (if possible) and make your opinion.
 FREE

rmy will

Quoted:
Is the SAW version open or closed bolt?
Quick change barrel?
Light weight is cool, but can it keep up the volume of fire?
We tried the M-16 in the Automatic Weapon role and it didn't do well?
I haven't seen the thing but i am highly sceptical?
I just don't see the win.
Hell, put a C-mag on an M16A3 and you would have the same effect it would appear.
I don't like the proprietary optics.
With the current M-4, at least you can use anything that ARMS makes a mount for.
This looks more like a money grab by HK than a real improvement.
If they had a standard rail, I wouldn't be so pissed.
And no BUIS is asking for trouble.

Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate you

More complaints.

When were you in 84th?

As long as we are sucking each others dicks...
I commanded there from 2000-2001 (Company A)  I was also a BMO for 2 years.
I left engineers after that Bullshit, too.
I met CSM Thomas.  He got there just as I was leaving I think.

The 84th was a pretty good place to be when I was there, we were always deployed to nice places like Kosrae (I was on CAT 84-41) and Thailand !!!   I got out of the Engineers when they were downsizing the 51B MOS, the Army gave me some great choices for reclassification: 11B, 11M, 12B, 13B, and 13F!   I didn't like the choices so I went EOD!
Link Posted: 6/8/2004 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#50]
hehe yea its all fun and games untill you hop out of a CH47 and walk 10+ miles full body armor 90+ degrees in Afhgan.

I am curious what is wrong with this rifle? if its junk tell me what is wrong and I will email the Major I met today to fix or to suggest scraping the XM-8

Thanks FREE

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate you

More complaints.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top