Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2021 8:00:14 PM EDT
Generic MS paint ap

As of today LP in my area nearly doubled to $4.15 a gal. I’d like to help supplement heat with a wood burning stove.

Lots of issues installing in the house. No reasonable place to put it, a false wall would have to be built upstairs to enclose the flue, and my roofline is all chopped up with hips and valleys. Overall a pain in the ass job I don’t have time for.

This question is: Would a stove in my attached garage help much to supplement the heat if we left the entrance door open while at home?

The garage is insulated except for the 16’ door (I would insulate it).

Garage slab is about 4’ lower than house foundation, but the garage ceiling is 16’.

Heat in the garage would be nice, but the main reason is venting the flue would be super easy.

Thoughts?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The 4' of steps from your house are right in the middle of your tiny garage? Ugh.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Putting a wood burner in the garage is generally frowned upon by the code nazis and insurance folks.

You would need to find a way to circulate the air from the garage into the home.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice MS Paint.

I don't think I would install a wood stove there, especially if I was going to use the garage as a garage.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 4' of steps from your house are right in the middle of your tiny garage? Ugh.
View Quote

Steps don’t come down in the middle like that. Best I could do with paint. The 4’ is the elevation change.

Pics of house.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My home owners doesn’t let me have a wood burner anywhere vehicles are stored. But second you will never be able to move the heat to the far end of your house very easily.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice MS Paint.

I don't think I would install a wood stove there, especially if I was going to use the garage as a garage.
View Quote

Garage is used as a workshop. No vehicles parked inside
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Another thought: Before you go spending a lot of money to install a wood stove (or a parlor stove that burns nut coal), consider that LP prices in your area could have been temporarily affected by the storm.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a huge wood stove fan, but in your circumstance, I just don't see the payback on your purchase price happening anytime soon. I wouldn't do it.

Anyplace in the house that you could 90 it out of an exterior wall and build a fake chimney around the pipe?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Another thought: Before you go spending a lot of money to install a wood stove (or a parlor stove that burns nut coal), consider that LP prices in your area could have been temporarily affected by the storm.
View Quote

Entirely possible. At normal price it’s still more than I like. $900-1200 yr. supplementing it would be nice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Instead of a regular wood stove, get a small boiler. Put a water-to-air coil in your existing air-handler above the A-coil and run the water lines to it.

I picked mine up on Craigslist for $200.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm a huge wood stove fan, but in your circumstance, I just don't see the payback on your purchase price happening anytime soon. I wouldn't do it.

Anyplace in the house that you could 90 it out of an exterior wall and build a fake chimney around the pipe?
View Quote

Good input.

My understanding is that wood burning flues can’t be 90’d?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#12]
First thing I would do is talk to your insurance company, because they will raise your insurance if you install a wood stove.
Determine if the jump in insurance cost will balance out the supplemental wood stove.
But with 16' ceilings you would have to get some serious fans mounted up to circulate it into your house.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Instead of a regular wood stove, get a small boiler. Put a water-to-air coil in your existing air-handler above the A-coil and run the water lines to it.

I picked mine up on Craigslist for $200.
View Quote

Interesting idea. My downstairs unit is an outside package unit, so boiler location might be difficult. Going to look into that though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Generic MS paint ap

As of today LP in my area nearly doubled to $4.15 a gal. I’d like to help supplement heat with a wood burning stove.

Lots of issues installing in the house. No reasonable place to put it, a false wall would have to be built upstairs to enclose the flue, and my roofline is all chopped up with hips and valleys. Overall a pain in the ass job I don’t have time for.

This question is: Would a stove in my attached garage help much to supplement the heat if we left the entrance door open while at home?

The garage is insulated except for the 16’ door (I would insulate it).

Garage slab is about 4’ lower than house foundation, but the garage ceiling is 16’.

Heat in the garage would be nice, but the main reason is venting the flue would be super easy.

Thoughts?https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/515403/CAD12AAC-FFA5-436B-91E5-B4B42F2CA454_png-2074850.JPG
View Quote

Without spending time and money, I think it's a bad plan.

You're going to burn a bunch of wood just warming up the garage. Then, you're going to need some ducting or something to move the heat into the house. You're also going to want to close the duct/vent/hole for when the garage is still cold. Or stinky because garage stuff. Or it's summer.

Bad plan.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not get a pellet stove which have a small 3” rear exit exhaust that can be put almost anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good input.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good input.

You can. Basically, you'd have a 90 degree offset off of the single wall pipe from the stove into a wall thimble, which will maintain your clearance to combustibles and allow you to switch to a class A pipe through the wall and out. Then you'd do a T with a clean out and go class A all the way up.

It's actually a nice install because when you clean your chimney you can just push everything through the bottom of the T and keep the mess outside.

The downside is you're going to have a decent pipe bill, before you even finish it off. Looking at your pictures, it would probably be worth having someone go to your home and give you some ideas / estimates.

It's a very nice looking place, but they didn't make it easy to put a stove in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why not get a pellet stove which have a small 3” rear exit exhaust that can be put almost anywhere.
View Quote

This is a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Also hearth.com is the ARFCOM of wood/pellet stoves , wood cutting and all things non traditional heating,
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Without spending time and money, I think it's a bad plan.

You're going to burn a bunch of wood just warming up the garage. Then, you're going to need some ducting or something to move the heat into the house. You're also going to want to close the duct/vent/hole for when the garage is still cold. Or stinky because garage stuff. Or it's summer.

Bad plan.
View Quote

Yeah. Deep down I knew this was the answer. Wanted to make it work though.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t know? This is something I need to look into.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good input.

View Quote

Yes they can be 90d. Read the manufacturing spec on the stove you want to buy. Their install manual/pdf will tell you what you need to know,  But personally I would go with 45° elbows.
Edited to say read HROARK87 post above. He said it so much better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Is the wood stove coming from easy/cheap access and storage for firewood, or just a supplemental heat option? If the latter, it's worth considering a pellet stove. They have smaller clearance requirements and more venting options.

You'll need indoor storage (read: garage) for the pellets, as they're not packaged to be stored outside.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You can. Basically, you'd have a 90 degree offset off of the single wall pipe from the stove into a wall thimble, which will maintain your clearance to combustibles and allow you to switch to a class A pipe through the wall and out. Then you'd do a T with a clean out and go class A all the way up.

It's actually a nice install because when you clean your chimney you can just push everything through the bottom of the T and keep the mess outside.

The downside is you're going to have a decent pipe bill, before you even finish it off. Looking at your pictures, it would probably be worth having someone go to your home and give you some ideas / estimates.

It's a very nice looking place, but they didn't make it easy to put a stove in.
View Quote

If I can do 90’s, I might have a spot for one. Thank you
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I spent over 1000 bucks on pipe alone going up just under 30ft inside an existing chimney.

The cost would be much greater going through a wall, and up.

Draft is important, if you're going up a long distance, 90's are no big deal. Short pipes produce less draft, and the 90's can decrease it more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is the wood stove coming from easy/cheap access and storage for firewood, or just a supplemental heat option? If the latter, it's worth considering a pellet stove. They have smaller clearance requirements and more venting options.

You'll need indoor storage (read: garage) for the pellets, as they're not packaged to be stored outside.
View Quote

I can source plenty of firewood from my land, as well as elsewhere. Storage is not an issue. Biggest reason is supplementing the cost of LP. I need to do some research into pellet stoves it seems.  Thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#26]
The short answer is, no. That's not going to work.

All the heat will be consumed by the garage and opening that door might even make your house colder.

It will (almost certainly) make it draftier.

Lose/lose, I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#27]
No chimney needed for pellet stove. Run that little pipe thru wall to the outside and done.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn GD killing my dreams of a heated garage

I really do appreciate all the info.

I’ve got some more research to do.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#29]
You will have a nice warm garage.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I can source plenty of firewood from my land, as well as elsewhere. Storage is not an issue. Biggest reason is supplementing the cost of LP. I need to do some research into pellet stoves it seems.  Thank you for your input.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you've already been putting firewood up, you've pretty much missed this winter with well dried and seasoned firewood.  Unless you have a bunch of Pine or Poplar, but even then you're a bit late.

Turning trees (or even dead fall) takes usually at least a year to dry - and that's time starts after it's been cut up, split and stacked.  Some species of firewood (Hickory or Oak) can take up to three years.

Also, be aware that if you ask your question over on Hearth, the first question you'll be asked is your firewood situation.  Trying to burn and heat a house with wet wood is an exercise in frustration, disappointment and crappy burn performance.  Burning dried wood is a joy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#31]
My grandpa has a wood stove in his attached garage, he has the hot air thingy out of the top on some swiveling jointed elbows. He points it at the door and leaves it open. It'll get the house to 80° even when it's -30 out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Outdoor wood stove.
https://centralboiler.com/
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't know? This is something I need to look into.
View Quote

yup pellet stoves are way easy to vent. Thats your best option.

or the outdoor boiler above if you have basebord or a way to use hot water heat.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#34]
You would need an extremely tall chimney in order to get a proper draft.  Like 25 feet above your garage roof.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Unless you've already been putting firewood up, you've pretty much missed this winter with well dried and seasoned firewood.  Unless you have a bunch of Pine or Poplar, but even then you're a bit late.

Turning trees (or even dead fall) takes usually at least a year to dry - and that's time starts after it's been cut up, split and stacked.  Some species of firewood (Hickory or Oak) can take up to three years.

Also, be aware that if you ask your question over on Hearth, the first question you'll be asked is your firewood situation.  Trying to burn and heat a house with wet wood is an exercise in frustration, disappointment and crappy burn performance.  Burning dried wood is a joy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve got the seasoned firewood thing locked down.

We keep the homemade fire pit going year round  
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Entirely possible. At normal price it's still more than I like. $900-1200 yr. supplementing it would be nice.
View Quote

Ask yourself if that's worth the deductible on your homeowners?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

or the outdoor boiler above if you have basebord or a way to use hot water heat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know? This is something I need to look into.

I’m seeing that now. Hadn’t really considered a pellet stove before, but they seem to be the best option.

I really would like the cord wood burning option as I could source that regardless of what’s available from stores, but that probably isn’t the best option right now for my current set up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Consult a wood stove dealer in your area, they will have the informed answers you seek.

I went with a Hearthstone and have no regrets, may want to give them a look.

https://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood/wood-stoves/
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Move it to the parlor, where all stoves are properly placed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top