BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the hell does PC have to do with defending your life?

have you stopped to think what WILL happen to you after the shooting is over and you are in court in front of a judge and jury?

have you considered how the prosecuting attorney will portray you as a "murderous gun nut" using an "evil assault weapon" to "kill this poor burglar"?

have you considered that the average american sheep on the jury will be swayed by idiotic crap like the above?

like having your freedom?  that's why you better give a damn about "PC Bullshit"

ETA:  Fucking time-outs.  I clicked submit ONCE.  

Yes I have and to tell you the truth my life is worth more than what they might try to make out of what weapon I used.

I've never tahnk god had to shoot a person. I have been through two home invasions. As long as I'm alive I don't care what some lawyer tries to get a judge or jury to believe. In fact the DA probably wouldn't even press charges here. Sure the family can sue me but oh fucking well. Make an issue of my gun of choice I don't care. Being alive and going through that shit is more important and better than being dead because the PC weapon I used didn't work as well as the weapon I should have used.

When yer life is on the line or your loved ones lives are on the line, there is not room to be PC. There are some things inb life that should never be a compramise and how you deal with a life or death situation is one of those things that not negotiable you don't compramise on equipment or the ammo or any of that shit. You use what gives you the best chance at comming out alive.

IF that means using an evil looking AR15 thats what it means. I don;t give about PC bullshit when my ass is on the line and neither should anyone else. Yer life is mor important than being PC.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't matter to me. I have no intention on calling the cops if I blow away some frickin sumbag breaking into my home. I live out in the boonies, gunshots are not unusual, even at night and the cops have enough paperwork to do. I figure I got a tarp, a shovel and some rope and that's all I plan on needing. Other than that I have no intention of going in peaceably. End of discussion.

Consider it all from the scumbag's point of view. He has your 10 year old daughter around the neck and is using her as a human shield. He has a .45 in one hand. You have given away your position as well as the fact that you have a gun buy shucking your weapon. He advances upon you knowing full well that you won't blast your daughter with 00buck. He, of course, is able to fire at will. Everything in that house is the enemy to him, and the fact that he knows someone is armed means that he will have to first kill one, then all of you.
Now consider the same scenario with an M4 or something similar.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#3]
A preban or post Sept 14 AR with a collapsible stock and 16" barrel, VFG, reflex type sight and frangible bullets (available at ammoman.com) ought to work nicely.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#4]
1.  first problem is ID'g your target:  How do you do this?  Remember, its dark, you have been asleep, you don;t really have much practicle training in this b/c you don;t do it everyday
What is hte best way to ID the target?  Big weapon/Tactical light.  Most shotguns don't have an effcient way to mount one.  A CAR-15 with a rail does.
    A.  Actually, a Raptor 3rd Gen NVG would be the best, but most of us don;t have the $4k to put into a good weapon sight like this.

2.  second problem:  hitting your target.  A red dot with a good weapon light lets you know EXACTLY where your projectile will hit the target.  Again, a CAR-15 firees one bullet.  A shotgun fires lots of projectiles
    A.  The shotgun, contrary to popular belief, fires a narrow pattern at short distances, so your hit ability isn't that much greater unless you aim it like the rifle.

3.  Penetration:  You don;t want to over penetrate the target or strucutre behind the target if you miss.  A CAR-15 with a military spec round will fragment after going through a wall and stop in the next wall.  00 buck and pistol rounds keep on going.  You are also more likely to miss you target with a shotgun for the above reasons.  

4.  The shotgun, without a good weapon light makes it harder to ID the target and its more likely that you will miss becasue its aiming systems are much less sophisticated.

Now, if you equip your cshotgun with a light and an AIMPOINT, then you increase your hit potential and decrease the potential of over penetration due to pellets missing the target.  But, once again, you are still putting a lot of bullets downrange and if any of these miss they may go through several walls.  

The CAR-15 set up with a weapon light and aimpoint is still my first chioce.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#5]
9 carbine, i practice with it a lot because it's fun and tough and cheap and shoots plenty accurately.  

i agree with the guy comparing a rifle or shottie indoors as being a flashbang.  don't want to flashbang yourself, do ya?  i'm not creeping around my house at night to investigate noise with my earmuffs on.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats, you made it to 500 with that stunt.

stunt?

i posted a reply, clicked submit and ended up with several duplicate posts i then edited.

was not intentional.  

Just kiddin' ya!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
9 carbine, i practice with it a lot because it's fun and tough and cheap and shoots plenty accurately.  

i agree with the guy comparing a rifle or shottie indoors as being a flashbang.  don't want to flashbang yourself, do ya?  i'm not creeping around my house at night to investigate noise with my earmuffs on.  

It's called a flash supressor, and even if you don't have a gun with one on it it won't matter for that one shot or two. The noise from shooting in a situation such as a home invasion will not really be noticed in the heat of the moment. Sure your ears may be hurting after the fact, but better the ears hurt than you or a loved one be dead.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's called a flash supressor, and even if you don't have a gun with one on it it won't matter for that one shot or two. The noise from shooting in a situation such as a home invasion will not really be noticed in the heat of the moment. Sure your ears may be hurting after the fact, but better the ears hurt than you or a loved one be dead.

the bad guy won't be any less dead in my house than he will in your house, i guarantee.  and if my ears aren't ringing as bad that's great, i'll take every advantage i can get.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Am I the only one in the world who does not see the point of a pistol caliber carbine?  All the weight and size of a rifle with the stopping power and survivability of a handgun round…

Shotgun is a fine choice for home defense, as would be an AR.  The best gun to use is the one you practice with.    

Also consider low light.  If you don’t have night sights, laser, weapon mounted light, tactical light, or any combination of the above your not hitting squat past contact distance.  

Sure, you may have time to turn on a house light, but don’t count on it.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the bad guy won't be any less dead in my house than he will in your house, i guarantee.  and if my ears aren't ringing as bad that's great, i'll take every advantage i can get.  

So you use an AR with a tac light than?

A pistol offers no advatage, I'll tell you this for sure. In both home invasions I was around for both ended with no shots fired. The perps were cought in the second one, both were wearing vests. A pistol would have been no good had shot needed to be fired. A shotgun would hve been no good either.

I could care less if my ears could be ringing less as long as I'm still breathing and have no holes i me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Ruger PC40 (40 S&W) with an Red Dot Scope on it. Shoots great but it always jams when I "get on it."
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#12]
you guys need to run out and tell the operators around the world how much they're screwing up and put down their mp-5's and AR's that are *converted to 9mm*.  photoman where the hell do you live that you have perps with body armor?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
you guys need to run out and tell the operators around the world how much they're screwing up and put down their mp-5's and AR's that are *converted to 9mm*.    

photoman where the hell do you live that you have perps with body armor?

Perps with BA in nothing new, not here. Not anywhere. Not a lot of them have it but some do.

By the way I would bet that more entry teams use ARs or other rifles in .223(augs,HK53's ect...) than 9mm sub guns.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...Keep a g26 under the pillow as well...

Oh no!    I hope you sleep with a helmet on!  Don't you know that Glocks have been known to "KaBoom" just by being kept under a pillow?!?  Then the BATFE will be able to use the patented Glock "ballistic fingerprinting" to examine your remains and tell if you've ever lied on a 4473!!!

Sorry - it was getting too serious in here & I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Am I the only one in the world who does not see the point of a pistol caliber carbine?  All the weight and size of a rifle with the stopping power and survivability of a handgun round…

No, you're not the only one - I've heard several here make the same comment.  What you've got to remember is that most (but not all) handgun rounds benefit from the longer carbine barrel with increased peformance, all with the recoil of a .22 (i.e., more controllable, faster follow-up shots, etc.).  Affordable ammo & the "fun factor" will probably lead to more practice, as well.  They may not be the best choice, but I dare say they are not the worst.  (FWIW, Mrs. HardShell & I keep an AR (mine), a shotgun (hers), and several handguns (ours ) in the bedroom for home defense - not a pistol-caliber carbine.)

Shotgun is a fine choice for home defense, as would be an AR.  The best gun to use is the one you practice with.    

Amen.

Also consider low light.  If you don’t have night sights, laser, weapon mounted light, tactical light, or any combination of the above your not hitting squat past contact distance.  

Sure, you may have time to turn on a house light, but don’t count on it.  

And amen.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#16]
M1 carbine with Remington 110gr JSP.

This still has some PC look, which reduces your rifle being taken away, and M1 Carbine with above load is quite good.

Of course, I'm talking about defense against one or two buglars. If this is larger scale SHTF situation, the AR15 with 7 mags of XM193 or 75+gr OTM hands down.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
1.  first problem is ID'g your target:  How do you do this?  Remember, its dark, you have been asleep, you don;t really have much practicle training in this b/c you don;t do it everyday
What is hte best way to ID the target?  Big weapon/Tactical light.  Most shotguns don't have an effcient way to mount one.  A CAR-15 with a rail does.

Most shotguns can mount a light with a replacement front handguard, I don't see this as any worse than replacement handguards for ARs with integral lights.

2.  second problem:  hitting your target.  A red dot with a good weapon light lets you know EXACTLY where your projectile will hit the target.  Again, a CAR-15 firees one bullet.  A shotgun fires lots of projectiles
    A.  The shotgun, contrary to popular belief, fires a narrow pattern at short distances, so your hit ability isn't that much greater unless you aim it like the rifle.

So, what you're saying is, the shotgun is not precise because it sprays pellets all over, but it's not easier to hit anything because the pellets don't spread out... got it!!

3.  Penetration:  You don;t want to over penetrate the target or strucutre behind the target if you miss.  A CAR-15 with a military spec round will fragment after going through a wall and stop in the next wall.  00 buck and pistol rounds keep on going.  You are also more likely to miss you target with a shotgun for the above reasons.  

Well if I ever invade your house I'll make sure to take cover behind some drywall

4.  The shotgun, without a good weapon light makes it harder to ID the target and its more likely that you will miss becasue its aiming systems are much less sophisticated.

I really can't see missing someone at inside-house distances with a shotgun.  I can put all the pellets on a man-sized sillouette target at 25 yards and I don't even have the rear sight mounted!!  

I'm not saying the shotgun is better, but it's not too bad.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#18]

This is my current home defense carbine normally it has a Surefire mounted to it and will soon be getting an Aimpoint sight. I really like the .45 for defense and with the 16" barrel its not going to deafen you when you shoot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Buncha amateurs...

Nothing secures a hallway like a claymore.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I like the m1 carbine with the .30 cal (magnum) round.

Gentlemen, THIS is a serious option.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Buncha amateurs...

Nothing secures a hallway like a claymore.

Nevermind. This is an even more serious option.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Thompson M1, or 1927.

.45acp, and you can use it as a heavy club if you shoot it dry. It won't break.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ruger PC40 (40 S&W) with an Red Dot Scope on it. Shoots great but it always jams when I "get on it."

my Ruger PC9 [9mm luger] with Mecgar & factory mags and "Ghost ring" site never jams, no matter how fast I shoot. The Ghost Ring site works great in low light, because of the large aperture.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Choice #1

Choice #2

Choice #3

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Rather than an 870, I would go with a Benelli Nova. Similar route...but same result.

Kevin
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey SNORMAN,

If you put the TAC/WEAPON light and AIMPOINT on the shotgun, it becomes adequate.  It still is not a precision weapon.  No way, no how.  If your not looking for precision, then the shotgun is the way to go.

I demand precision.  I want to know where EACH AND EVERY round is going before it leaves the tube.

So, what you're saying is, the shotgun is not precise because it sprays pellets all over, but it's not easier to hit anything because the pellets don't spread out... got it!!

The point is that they spread out enough to be a danger, but not enough to allow sloppy shooting.  AIMED fire is still required at close range with a shotgun.  Got it??

I really can't see missing someone at inside-house distances with a shotgun.  I can put all the pellets on a man-sized sillouette target at 25 yards and I don't even have the rear sight mounted!!    

Sure you can miss someone.  You can miss identify them and at close range with regular shotgun sights you can miss them completely if you don't aim.   Again, does the presence of a weapon light and a red-dot sight make it more likely or less likely for you to properly ID the target and place rounds inthe target?  If the combo does, then is it easier to mount same on a shotgun or a AR?  Then its the precision issue.

I'll take my CAR-15.  A shotgun, properly equiped, would be a second choice.   A pistol or pistol caliber carbnine would be my third choice.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
To answer the original question I would take an AR over an AK, for me the superior sights on the AR make all the difference. I have a hard time quickly acquiring AK sights

Until a few days ago I kept my 870 with a flashlight on it next to my bed. Now I'm switching to this:

When I get some more toy money built up in the savings account I'd like to add a good laser to it. Already have an ok flashlight.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top