Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 6:16:32 PM EDT
I know we all hate PBS for it's anti-Bush/AR&AK propaganda, but they had something interesting on tonight.

A giant Crocodile, Probably 20 feet long all totaled, had been killing villagers up and down lake Tanganyika. What I find Ironic is, the people attempting to capture wouldn't shoot the croc, even though it was apparent "Ghustaf" was not falling for the traps.They could have saved a few lives doing so.  Even those rusty old combloc AKs would have done a decent job against the croc.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
No pictures? No links? This thread is worthless.

Let me help you out.

Big Croc

Mo Big Croc

Capturing the Killer Croc
Wednesday, May 12 at 8PM
Sunday, May 23 at 7PM

Over the past few years, more than 200 people in the vicinity of Lake Tanganyika have disappeared. At first this was thought to be the result of tribal warfare, or the work of a serial killer. But now the disappearances are attributed to an unexpected suspect: a giant crocodile estimated to be 9 meters long and nearly a century old. This documentary follows the high-stakes efforts to catch this giant predator before he kills again. The goal is to remove it to a secure enclosure in the Rusizi Nature Reserve. Victims who survived and witnesses to some of the horrifying attacks tell their stories.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Sheesh.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]
CRIKEY!

Calling Steve Irwin...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
CRIKEY!

Calling Steve Irwin...

Steve Irwin is GOD!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#5]
They have a few big gators around here I hear there are some real big ones around the DOE sites cooling ponds.

I think its hard to get a killshot on a croc because of where thier brain is and its size.

I wouldnt want to just hit it with a few 7.62x39s in the body, that probalt would just piss it off.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
FUCKING UNLOAD ON IT WITH AN AK ALREADY.

But seriously, animals have rights, THE RIGHT TO BE KILLED AND GRILLED, MUHAHAHAHA

Hi, my name is Mister Floppy, and im an alcomaholic.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They have a few big gators around here I hear there are some real big ones around the DOE sites cooling ponds.

I think its hard to get a killshot on a croc because of where thier brain is and its size.

I wouldnt want to just hit it with a few 7.62x39s in the body, that probalt would just piss it off.

I have seen gators killed with a 9mm pistol.  Not 20 foot ones, but still I think a shot at the base of the skull with an AK would kill it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:59:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen a gator in  florida named Superman at a Seminole reserve. At 14+ feet and a ton in weight it was a total monster.   Short of a solid steel box I doubt a cage style trap would hold him for more then 10 seconds.    

But from some posts I don't think some of you realize how big that croc really is.  It's skin would be a hard thing for a 9mm to pass thru.  And it would probably survive more then a few bullet wounds.

One thing is for sure,  he's proving to the local population they are not the top of the food chain.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw 10' crocs when I worked in south Florida and they were dam huge to me. I can't imagine walking up and seeing a 19' croc. I would be "hot footing" it the hell out of the area!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I was watching that last night myself.  I couldn't help but wonder why if the animal was killing (actually drowned one villager and didn't eat it) people why didn't they just "take it out".  They even built this one-ton trap and hand carried it a couple of miles to the river bank.  I thought it was erie (sp?) when the night vision camera caught the eye of the croc as he would just swim by it and not go in.

If they had wanted to take out the croc, they obviously had good opportunities given such good camera shots of the animal.  

I told my son that it would be funny if they were going through all this hoopla to catch the darned thing and, while filming, some Aussie comes floating along in a boat and snares the critter with a pole noose and hauls it off.

In any event, that was one heck of a croc and I sure wouldn't want to meet it anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:23:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Most people don't understand just how big these are until you see one up close.
What people don't realize when you say it is 14 feet, these are not just 14 feet long like a pole but rather 14 feet long and 4 feet wide in the middle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
One thing is for sure,  he's proving to the local population they are not the top of the food chain.

The population around there has been off the top of the list for a long time.  They ought to make shoes out of this croc instead of shipping him somewhere to eat more people.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen gators killed with a 9mm pistol.  Not 20 foot ones, but still I think a shot at the base of the skull with an AK would kill it.

yep, right behind the eyes, use to kill them with a med sized pocket knife by cutting them there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#14]
The Saltwater Crocs are the largest, they are farking huge!

Here is the late Gromek Salt water croc,  he was the 2nd largest croc in captivity, he was ONLY 17ft. 9.5 inchs and weighed well over a ton!

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#15]
If that thing was eating my family and village, I believe I would try to kill it.  I don't care if all I had was an AK, 22 single shot, old british muzzleloader, slingshot, or a sharp stick.  

I guess it's just a flashback to being a kid when I was able to kill any wild animal with my BB gun if I could hit it in the eye.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:19:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I have seen 20 foot crocs in India.  Pretty scary.  I have a picture of a sign which says "Danger: crocodiles.  No swimming.  Survivors will be prosecuted."

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here is the late Gromek Salt water croc,  he was the 2nd largest croc in captivity, he was ONLY 17ft. 9.5 inchs and weighed well over a ton!
images.cyclura.com/sightings/2003/feb/Hudson.jpg

I have one like that living in the sewer under my house...

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have seen 20 foot crocs in India.  Pretty scary.  I have a picture of a sign which says "Danger: crocodiles.  No swimming.  Survivors will be prosecuted."

GunLvr

Your chances of being prosecuted are poor but chances to become a meal are real high!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Wouldn't you think that a converted M14A1 would make a good croc rifle? Either that, or slugs..... (10/12 ga)

Ben
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:41:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The Saltwater Crocs are the largest, they are farking huge!

images.cyclura.com/sightings/2003/feb/Hudson.jpg

Gawd damn!

That things the size of a small pickup!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:56:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Probably would eat your pickup and fart out the engine.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Heheheh.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Ben

Only if it was a Chevy
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if it was a Chevy

That's because Fords are too big. Chevy's are girlie-trucks.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if it was a Chevy

That's because Fords are too big. Chevy's are girlie-trucks.

That 19' Croc would tear apart a half year old rusted beyond hope Ford truck. Like the dog did to Cerena Vincent in Cabin Fever.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I watched it, but was bummed when, in the end, they didn't catch it and it disappeared.  Talk about a boring ending.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#28]
They should leave that croc alone. Its just natural population control. That thing derseves recognition for being a complete badass. Just dont get near its mouth
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
They should leave that croc alone. Its just natural population control. That thing derseves recognition for being a complete badass. Just dont get near its mouth

We should take some of these Al-Queda types we have captured and let them have a "Swim" with the crocs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Back in 1980 a buddy of mine and I made a pilgrimage to one of bass fishing's Meccas, Lake Okeechobee.
We had a 14' johnboat done up like a bass boat with a 25hp Evinrude on the back. The week we were there it was pretty windy and traveling on the main lake was beating us and the boat to shit so we used the outer canal to travel long lengths around the lake and pop in to fish certain spots.

One day were headed back to the campground in Belle Glade where we were staying when a BIG LOG on shore moved as we went by. I cut the motor, put the trolling motor in the water and brought us about.

The LOG was actually an alligator that was so large it made our 14' johnboat look small. No shit, this thing HAD to be at least 20 feet long, 3-3/12 feet or more wide. We took a short look at it from about 50 yards away and when it started to slip into the water we pulled the trolling motor, I fired up the main motor and we got the hell out of Dodge.

We'd seen several 'gators while we were there, mainly in the 4-6-10ft length, but we were mightily impressed with that one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#32]
 God DAMN!!  That is the funniest thing I have heard since Imroglio's "fart lighting" story...
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#33]
All I could say whenever I saw them looking at the damned thing from within rifle range is "WTF is the problem here? a .50 caliber M85A1 would solve that problem right quick.  Punch a few nice holes in him, skin the bastard out and sell the skin to the highest friggin bidder to compensate the families who lost loved ones while the friggin frog was farting around with a cage that the croc was too smart to get himself trapped in.

Talk about arrogance and profound hubris.  Here we have a croc that the scientist is convinced killed as many as 300 people, and that a-hole is trying to capture it alive.  Screw that.  Put up a helicopter gunship or a gunboat and turn the thing into swiss cheese.  Crocs scare me as badly as sharks, and thats pretty scared.  But even were it not for that private justification, that monster killed as many as 300 PEOPLE, not water buffalo, not hippos, not dogs or goats, but PEOPLE, if we had a mountain lion that killed even one person in the US we would hunt that animal down and exterminate it so that it wouldn't kill again. But to allow an animal that murderous to continue on is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#34]
The govt. of that small African nation gave permission to the croc trapper to go after this monster with the stipulation that the animal be taken ALIVE.   They were prohibited from killing it.   This was made clear and agreed upon in a meeting between the trapper and the govt. official early on in the show.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I only got to watch about 35 minutes of it and that thang was huge!

My wife and I kept sayin, from the time they brought out the cage, that they needed live bait!

I beleive they had the thing in the trap and it got away!

The cage was not big enough to handle "Gustav" on land or in the water.

I told my wife they should have had a tranquilizer gun and made a 'drive by' on him and shot him with it!

Just don't get to close or you would end up swimming with the crocs!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I only got to watch about 35 minutes of it and that thang was huge!

My wife and I kept sayin, from the time they brought out the cage, that they needed live bait!

I beleive they had the thing in the trap and it got away!

The cage was not big enough to handle "Gustav" on land or in the water.

I told my wife they should have had a tranquilizer gun and made a 'drive by' on him and shot him with it!

Just don't get to close or you would end up swimming with the crocs!

BigDozer66

Tranquilizers are very dangerous to Crocs, I remember it being mentioned on other shows that it has something to do with the cold-blooded animals metabolism and they don't tolerate it well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't know if anyone noticed this. But the article says it is estimated a 9 meters long. A meter is a few inches longer than a yard. 9 x 3 = 27. So that bastard is about 27 feet long. That thing is a monster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top