Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 12:33:53 PM EDT
This shit drives me fucking nuts.

50 sonovabitching credit card offers a week. twice a week newspaper size supermarket ads. nonstop shit.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This shit drives me fucking nuts.

50 sonovabitching credit card offers a week. twice a week newspaper size supermarket ads. nonstop shit.

I would certianly like to know how to stop it also.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Save junk mail and send it back to the banks in their return address stamped postage paid envelopes.

It costs them big bucks to pay a fulfillment center to open your mail and realize that it's junk that you sent back to them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I like to mix it up though. Save a few and send bank #1 the reply card from bank #2, etc.

Isn't it possible to stop bulk/third class mail from being delivered? Call your local post office and ask.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, and if anyone figures out how to stop this, let us know how to stop unwanted email too.
AB
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I see your point but.......

Just throw it away!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope. You can't stop it as long as it is the sender that pays for the delivery not you.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Save junk mail and send it back to the banks in their return address stamped postage paid envelopes.

It costs them big bucks to pay a fulfillment center to open your mail and realize that it's junk that you sent back to them.

My wife and MIL do that. At first i got mad because it I figured it needlessly clogged up the postal system. Now I don't care, because they're the ones delivering it in the first place.

Can you just do a RTS on everything? It works for mail that is not mistakenly addressed to me, so why wouldn't it work for everything else?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
A friend of  mine that works in the Post Office said there was talk of a proposed bill that would eliminate junk mail, in the same manner as the "do not call list " law that pertains to telemarketers. This is however the first I have heard about it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]
If Kramer couldn't stop it, how could we?  Don't make the Postmaster General come visit your ass.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A friend of  mine that works in the Post Office said there was talk of a proposed bill that would eliminate junk mail, in the same manner as the "do not call list " law that pertains to telemarketers. This is however the first I have heard about it.

The bill didn't go anywhere once USPS told them that  junk mail accounts for most of the mail they process and that if it wasn't for advertisements, postage rates would jump in excess of $1 per envelope.
Just look at the number of people and business that use email to transmit messages and documents. This has put a serious hurting on the PO, financially. It is also why some people have been advocating a tax on email, to give it to the PO so they can keep rates where they are.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Take down your mailbox.  Get your bills electronically.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#12]
A ot of the stupid credit card apps are now coming in ambiguous envelopes that I can't just chuck now.. because they don't say anything on them that clesrly says it's a credit cards app. Plus, someo of them say something like "Important Document Enclosed" or something to that effect.

Make sure you at least rip those things in half.... otherwise someone might fish it out of your garbage and try to get a credit card in your name... as eager as these companies are to give those things out it probably isn't too terribly difficult if you don't shred your sensitive paperwork.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to mention the fact that they all have your info on them and it wouldn't take much for someone to apply under your name but change the address.

Thus you have to open every damn piece of junk and shred it like I do......what a waste.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Several years ago myself and two other deputies testified in child custody case against the mother that was a nut case. Her dad was also nuts and much worse than her. He started sending in cards out of magazines, newspapers and  off of bulletin boards  for all kinds of crap everything  from magazines, newspapers, items that required payments and just about everything else. It got to be a pain in the ass since each of us received about two Wal-Mart bags full of junk everyday at work and at home. We contacted the Postal inspector and that was about the biggest waste of time. I cant tell you all how we got it to stop .
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thus you have to open every damn piece of junk and shred it like I do......what a waste.

Exactly
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I cant tell you all how we got it to stop .

Sure you can... just phrase it as if you were telling us about a scene in Heat... remember? where the two guys go the crazy guys house and beat the holy ass out of him until he calls all of the magazine people and tells them to stop sending. That scene was awesome.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Isn't it possible to stop bulk/third class mail from being delivered? Call your local post office and ask.

You have to contact the companies that are sending it, and tell them to remove your name from their mailing list. Contact them by letter or postcard.

Calling them on the phone is a waste of time, as is e-mailing them. Not to mention they would probably turn around and sell your phone # and/or e-mail address to other companies.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A lot of the stupid credit card apps are now coming in ambiguous envelopes that I can't just chuck now.. because they don't say anything on them that clearly says it's a credit cards app. Plus, some of them say something like "Important Document Enclosed" or something to that effect.

There are three major credit-reporting agencies in the U.S.  You can write them, and tell them you do not want to receive any more offers from credit card companies and lenders. They are required by law to remove you from the list.

They will still provide information to companies/lenders whom you initiate contact with.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top