Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 6:09:01 PM EDT
I've been looking around at these motorcycles & was wondering how they stack up against each other Way back when I had my other bikes Suzuki was what I had & never had a bit of trouble from them (the Kawasaki was not as good)

I'm not all that impressed with the Yamaha, but then again I'm operating off of old predijuces & don't know how they have improved in the last 15 years

Back then shaft drive was the big thing & Suzuki had the best trannie/shaft drive going.

Is shaft drive still the drive of shoice, or has the belt or chain replaced it

What I want is something for around town, back & forth to work & ocassional road trips (100-200 miles give or take) with the wife when the kids get old enough to stay at home without us.

Not looking for a screamer, but something that will get up and boogie when asked to would be nice

So, what's the general concensous about crusing motorcycles under $10,000
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I vote for the Suzuki SV100S, Kaw ZRX1100 and Z1000, Honda 919, and VTR1000. Buy any of these bike used and you'll be ok, punks don't buy them so they will be well cared for.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#2]
V-Max.

Shaft drive.
Cruiser style.
V4 engine.
Plenty of get-go.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
best bang for your buck- fz1, bandit 1200s, or zrx.  the vtr1000 has a tiny gas tank, less than 100 miles.  yeeek!   the sv1000s has an awesome engine, i know i have a TL1000R.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:03:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Cruising under 10K:

Honda 1100 Shadow

Yamaha 1100 V Star

If you want to be able to commute, travel, and play on curvy roads, check out the Kawasaki Concours.  A 1000 cc sport touring bike that goes for about 8K brand spanking new.

BTW, if you've been out of riding for a while an MSF course is a great refresher to bring the skills back up to speed.  A friend of mine who lived up north used to do a class each spring to sharpen things up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:06:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Of all the metric bikes, I believe Hondas to be the most reliable.  Suzuki and Kawasaki now share parts and components, but I would go with Honda.  Unless, of course, you decide on a used Harley.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you looking for a cruiser?  V-twin?, 4cyl?  Everyone makes a good bike now.  Will you run into some lemons sure, everyone has a few.  For $10,000 you can get a Kawasaki 1600 if your looking at a vtwin,  or a yamaha, and or the suzuki.   Try going to this link they have some good reviews.  http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com.  I'v got a 1999 Kawasaki Nomad, are there some things I'd change about they way kawasaki set it up, sure, but it has been very reliable and I like the bike.  Lots of good choices out there right now!!  good luck and be careful.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#7]
gotta love arfcom, the poster asks for recomendations of cruisers, and people start recommending standards and sportbikes

If I'm reading your post correctly, you want something that's fun to tool around on in town, and something that has enough juice and comfort to take you and the ole lady on a 200 mile ride, so my recomendations are going to be based on such.

I know one poster here recently bought a Honda VTX 1300.  I thought at first that it looked like a good bike, but the HP ratings on it are sadly lacking for such a large engine.  I would be concerned that it wouldn't be fun in town, and that it wouldn't have the getupandgo you'd want with a passenger.  If I'm wrong then it might not be a bad choice. You would definately want to replace the seat though for long periods of two-up riding.

If you can find a Yamaha Road Star Warrior used in your price range, I'd jump on that.  It's got gobs of power, and with a seat change would have no trouble toting you and your wife around.  It is a large/wide bike though and could be intimidating depending on how long you've been out of riding.  Yamaha also makes the V-star 1100 line that is under $10k new, and should be able to tote a passenger just fine.

Then you have the Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic, which is right around $10k and should have some good juice to get you and your bride moving.  I prefer the 1600 Mean Streak in the looks department, but you'd definately need a new seat.

If your wife will be doing much riding with you at all, take her along and have her sit on the passenger seat.  If she's uncomfortable it could mean the difference between you enjoying riding and hating it.  And don't forget www.corbin.com for the very best and most comfortable in aftermarket seats.  Look at this number they make for the Yamaha Warrior, and tell me the ole lady wouldn't be comfortable on it.  It's $600 (with the backrests an additional $200/ea) but if you want to stay married and happy riding it's well worth it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#8]

but if you want to stay married and happy riding it's well worth it.
www.corbin.com/yamaha/ywdt1.jpg

Or leave the wife at home! ok, maybe not!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
gotta love arfcom, the poster asks for recomendations of cruisers, and people start recommending standards and sportbikes

Recommending a variety of options.  After all, there is more than one type of motorcycle, and that's a good thing because there is something on the market to fit virtually every taste and need.

Lighten up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I love it when people buy motorcycles.  See you in the trauma room!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#12]
 I have owned and still own a Yamaha V-Star. First the V-star Custom 650 and then the 1100. Both are shaft drive and look great. I have had 0 problems with either bike and I talk to other owners and they say the same. Give them a shot...you won't be disapointed.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I love it when people buy motorcycles.  See you in the trauma room!

Also otherwise known as organ donors.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Personaly I prefer a minimum maintenence bike and look for the specs before buying.   Liquid cooled, drive shaft, and self adjusting valves are my three big look fors.  
I really like just put the key in and go, add gas and change the oil.

As for brands, I've had most and still like most but order of preferance within your price range I guess would be Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki.

One of the least understood and most popular bikes ever made is the Kawasaki Vulcan 750.  The bike just hangs in there year after year without change.  Although a V twin it is not a Harley copy by no means.   It offers reliability, a low center of gravity, and large comfortable seat plus liquid cooled V Twin, drive shaft, and self adjusting valves.  It has a a good gauge cluster to include gas gauge which us older riders seem to never get use to.  The bike performs well but is no demon although it will keep up with most bikes and excells on the highway where it's smooth ride and laid back pegs makes it cruise almost like a car.  It is a true mid-size bike with just enough weight that it handles well when being passed by a semi but yet light enough for some butt control.   Since it has not changed and is so popular the sell price is relatively low at $6,099 list.

IMHO, this is an excellent bike for the rider not out to impress his neighbor but looking for value for your dollar.  

Still I encourage you to shop around and compare features on other bikes for it's kind of getting hard to find a POS these days.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Agree with TJ, there are no real turds out there. Each has merits that appeal to different personalities. What I find funny is that cruiser guys (typically the more rough 'n tumble segment of the MC market) flock to Honda's bikes. Honda is the safe option, the warm milk and slippers choice for every other motorcyclist! Honda builds two wheeled Acuras and Civics, not MOTORcycles, IMO.

Norman, I didn't see where he was looking for a 'cruiser. He mentioned something not too sporty, which is why I recommended standards and V-twins. The first in my list was both, and an engine that I had in my Bimota. Great engine, lots of torque and still plenty of scoot when you want to shake the fat. Put that in an 'upright' bike and you have a winner.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]
<Also otherwise known as organ donors. >

Life without bikes is like Life without sloppy BBQ Cheeseburgers. Theres 'living' and there's Living! Give me 65 years of hell on wheels over 75 years of Meamucil and TV Guide any day!

Dave
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Check out the Suzuki Vstroms...they are great bikes.  I ride a Yamaha FZ6 and love it...it has upright ergos with great power.  If you want more power, look at the FZ1.  However, it sounds like a Vstrom 1000 would be right up your alley.  The Councours is an awesome bike, but it's a little more touring focused than the above mentioned.  You're best bet is to take your wife and go sit on a lot of bikes.  Then read up on the ones that are comfortable to you.

Oh yeah, and if you haven't been riding in a while, I definitely suggest you take the MSF course.  Well worth the time and money, and you'll likely get an insurance discount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top