Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/25/2021 1:21:47 PM EDT
Part of a Burt Renyolds double feature with Deliverance.

Deliverance wasn't as crazy as I expected it to be. Cannonball Run though...

One of the nuttiest movies I've ever seen in my life. I thought I had seen it years ago, apparently I was wrong. I definitely would have remembered this scene.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't ever mention "HIM"....
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
JJ, I saved that woman’s dog.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Part of a Burt Renyolds double feature with Deliverance.

Deliverance wasn't as crazy as I expected it to be. Cannonball Run though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kc4wDHQrw

One of the nuttiest movies I've ever seen in my life. I thought I had seen it years ago, apparently I was wrong. I definitely would have remembered this scene.
View Quote

No special effects there, a Maule test pilot really did it. Maule aircraft continue to be made in Moultrie, GA.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
They dont make em like they used to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JJ, I saved that woman’s dog.
View Quote

Duuuuhhh duuunnnnh duuuiuhhh
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

No they do not.

It makes me sad that a variety of legendary movies simply could not be made today.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
You, shorty. Where’d you get all that jewelry?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Said by every older generation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The Chocolate Monk?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
You should watch The Gumball Rally, it will have you LAF. Watch it at home, you don’t want to drive right after seeing the movie. The movie had everything from an Italian race car driver to a mad Polish motorcyclist. The fake cops will make you laugh.

Trailer
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#11]
THE CANNONBALL RUN (1981) Intro - Lamborghini Countach LP400S (S2)
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Chocolate Monk?
View Quote

I ever see 2 priests in a Ferrari trying to pull me over...

Well, if I didn't know what to do before, I know now!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#13]
And that movie was my introduction to Lamborghini.  That Countach was more like a space ship than a car to this youngster, when we saw it in the theaters.

What a fun time that was. Not sure why everyone is so dam stuck up anymore and cant make movies like this....well besides lawyers and liberals.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Behind the green door
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#15]
These bleads?

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And that movie was my introduction to Lamborghini.  That Countach was more like a space ship than a car to this youngster, when we saw it in the theaters.

What a fun time that was. Not sure why everyone is so dam stuck up anymore and cant make movies like this....well besides lawyers and liberals.
View Quote

I was sure that I saw that movie when I was a kid because my best friend at the time had a real obsession with Lamborghini, especially the Countach.

Doug Demuro did a detailed review of the Countach. It was a real, "you should never meet your heroes" moment for me.

Here's Why the Lamborghini Countach is Worth $300,000
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Hooper was another classic Burt Reynolds flick.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You should watch The Gumball Rally, it will have you LAF. Watch it at home, you don’t want to drive right after seeing the movie. The movie had everything from an Italian race car driver to a mad Polish motorcyclist. The fake cops will make you laugh.

Trailer
View Quote

This, Gumball Rally better movie.

1966 Shelby Cobra (CSX3243) vs 1974 Ferrari Daytona - Movie: Gumball Rally 1976
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Based on a true story.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]
At 1:21, I was on top of the red brick building in the background.

I wish I could find those pictures.

It was a lonnnggg time ago. Man to be 16 and fearless.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I love that movie.  It's like Burt Reynolds called all of his friends and said 'hey lets get together get drunk and make an awesome movie.'
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Was it The Gumball Rally where the Italian driver breaks off the rearview mirror and says something like  "First rule of Italian racing, what's behind you doesn't matter"?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#23]
One more thing, I think they're armed....Damn I hope so.

The Cannonball Run The Most Bad Ass Sheriff in Missouri

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hooper was another classic Burt Reynolds flick.
View Quote

I love that movie. I think it's Burt's best.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP8_l1K-U_A

View Quote

I was hoping someone would mention that banner.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I love that movie.  It's like Burt Reynolds called all of his friends and said 'hey lets get together get drunk and make an awesome movie.'
View Quote

Pretty much what it looks like. The chemistry among the actors in that movie is great.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Was it The Gumball Rally where the Italian driver breaks off the rearview mirror and says something like  "First rule of Italian racing, what's behind you doesn't matter"?
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Trailer
View Quote

Saw both when they came out. Around the same time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
And coke, lots and lots of coke....
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#31]

I'm Nikolas Van Helsing, professor of proctology and other related tendencies. A graduate of the University of Rangoon. And assorted night classes at the Knoxville Tennessee school of faith healing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Said by every older generation.
View Quote

Except it is true. Most stuff now is SJW crap and comic book stuff. With several exceptions.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Your small... S-M-all!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#34]
The Cannonball Run has a great history.   The group was made up of Hollywood stuntmen and guys in the car racing community.  They were a group that came together in real life and would race across the country from coast to coast and they kept it quiet for years.   Brock Yates was behind most of these movies and wrote the screenplay for Cannonball.  He was a very likeable guy and was a writer for many car magazines and was in the NASCAR crowd.  He and Hal Needham got their friends together to make that movie as well as the Smokey and the Bandit movies.

Brock Yates lived in Wyoming, New York on a farm that used to be for dairy.  His barn was full of various racing cars and he and his wife ran a small bar called The Cannonball with the movie memorabilia in it and the wife ran a store that sold Christmas items all year round in an old Rexall drug store.  The town of Wyoming is real tiny and about an hour outside of Buffalo, NY.

Yates would have parties near his home for all the people involved in the movies and they would invite locals over as well.  He was one of the nicest guys in the business and you can see him and his wife sitting at the table when the drivers run up at the beginning to punch the time clock.

All of these guys were old school laid back Hollywood stuntmen and you see how much fun they had together in the movies and on talk show reruns like on the Johnny Carson Show.

Farrah was on point.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Your small... S-M-all!
View Quote

Dean Martin was absolutely WASTED for that whole movie lol.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#36]
That was a friend of mine's father flying the Maule. And my friend was the stuntman who rode the motorcycle out the back of the plane in another scene. He's a 777 captain now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
These bleads?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Cannonball Run has a great history.   The group was made up of Hollywood stuntmen and guys in the car racing community.  They were a group that came together in real life and would race across the country from coast to coast and they kept it quiet for years.   Brock Yates was behind most of these movies and wrote the screenplay for Cannonbal.  He was a very likeable guy and was a writer for many car magazines and was in the NASCAR crowd.  He and Hal Needham got their friends together to make that movie as well as the Smokey and the Bandit movies.

Brock Yates lived in Wyoming, New York on a farm that used to be for dairy.  His barn was full of various racing cars and he and his wife ran a small bar called The Cannonball with the movie memorabilia in it and the wife ran a store that sold Christmas items all year round in an old Rexall drug store.  The town of Wyoming is real tiny and about an hour outside of Buffalo, NY.

Yates would have parties near his home for all the people involved in the movies and they would invite locals over as well.  He was one of the nicest guys in the business and you can see him and his wife sitting at the table when the drivers run up at the beginning to punch the time clock.

All of these guys were old school laid back Hollywood stuntmen and you see how much fun they had together in the movies and on talk show reruns like on the Johnny Carson Show.

Farrah was on point.

https://www.okshooters.com/data/MetaMirrorCache/whysoblu.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_10_cannonball_run1_11.jpg
View Quote

I would have loved to take her out by a tree and bugger her brains out...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP8_l1K-U_A

View Quote

I have been looking for that “Damn I hope so” in GIF form for years.
Anybody know how to make one?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your small... S-M-all!

Dean Martin didn't drink, nor did Foster Brooks
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#41]
El Porko

Back in the day when you could drink and fly!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Good movie Dean Martin and Sammy Davis were fantastic...plus cleavage and so on !
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#44]

All that did was make it pretty
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ever see the bloopers at the end, He says rosary bleeds at one point.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#47]
All gags and stunts, funny jokes that no one got that panties in a wad over and a little bit of titty show without going too far. Those were great movies.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#48]
I was the GM of the motel in Decatur where they filmed much of the movie. The lobby building and that pool are now gone.  While most of the big stars stayed in downtown Atlanta or rented homes Elam stayed at the hotel with his family along with most of the crew.

The pool had to be drained and washed following that scene.  Also, they were filming at the front one evening and had a crane set up with a large light pyramid.  It had been raining alot and one outrigger had been put in the soft grass.  The crane overturned and crushed and burned a Lamborghini that belonged to a man in Atlanta.

Dom DeLuise used to come into my office daily and just sit and talk to get away from the "crazyness" as he called it. He was very down home and just as funny in person as he was on the screen. The catering company used the kitchen at the motel to do much of the cooking and the pastry chef had made trays of pastry one day when Dom DeLuise came in joking around and began throwing the pastry around. The chef was not happy.

Never once did I see Dean Martin or Sammy Davis, Jr. drunk and both were very nice and would talk with anyone when they were not needed for filming.  Neither hid in trailers or rooms but stayed around the motel lobby and filming area.

I have many stories from that movie. It was a fun time.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I love that movie! Haven't seen it in years but have it on the list for this weekend now, thanks OP!

Quoted:

Dean Martin didn't drink, nor did Foster Brooks
View Quote

He, Dean Martin, actually did drink but the being an actual drunk was an act but he did enjoy a nice scotch every so often.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top