Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2004 6:08:41 AM EDT
Exodus 8:4 - "And the frogs shall come up both on thee, and upon thy people, and upon all thy servants. "

African frogs threaten San Francisco area

By MIELIKKI ORG
The Associated Press
5/10/2004, 8:55 a.m. ET

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California biologists are alarmed over the latest invasive species to take up residence in this city: African clawed frogs, which eat just about anything and tend to breed like crazy.

Even worse, they're kind of cute — and thus more likely to be whisked away by children and dumped into other ponds, where they spread even more.

"They are a threat," said Dr. David Wake, an emeritus professor of integrative biology at the University of California-Berkeley. "They change the environment quite profoundly."

Native to Kenya, the frogs are able to live under ice, in the ground and in salty water. They alter ecosystems by gobbling up insects, fish, lizards and even birds that fit into their large, tongueless mouths. They also burrow into the ground to survive dry conditions and prey on the state's endangered red-legged frog.

The African frogs, outlawed as pets in California several years ago, are used in medical and biological research. Some theorize that researchers might have released the animals into Golden Gate Park's Lily Pond and parts of Southern California to save the frogs from destruction.

Pet stores and collectors wary of being slapped with fines of up to $1,000 also might have released them into local creeks and ponds.

Eric Mills of Oakland-based Action for Animals, which has lobbied the state to fight the spread of invasive species, said the only way to prevent the frogs from spreading is to kill the population in Lily Pond.

"They spent millions of dollars a few years ago in San Diego trying to get rid of these frogs," Mills said. "If they get loose in the San Francisco delta, it will be devastating to get them out."

But getting rid of the frogs has been a problem for the cash-strapped California Department of Fish and Game.

A plan to dry out Lily Pond was canceled last summer just as a crew was readying pipes to flush the pond into the sewer, said Susan Ellis, the Department of Fish and Game's invasive species coordinator.

Ellis said the department had to divert funds to species that posed bigger threats — such as the voracious northern pike that has taken over Lake Davis near the Sierra Nevada community of Portola.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#1]
So, African frogs are a problem, too? "Eat just about anything and tend to breed like crazy.". Yup, that's an African frog alright. Once you got them, they are impossible to get rid of.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So, African frogs are a problem, too? "Eat just about anything and tend to breed like crazy.". Yup, that's an African frog alright. Once you got them, they are impossible to get rid of.

I was going to make a "Black Frenchman" comment, but I think the subtlety here pretty well covers the bases on anythign I would have said.

IBTL

Edit to add: Only a pussified state like Kalifornia could be "invaded" by frogs. In most other states it they'd use them to start a fast food franchise and call it a good day. Fags... is there anythign they can't do?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Haitians?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So, African frogs are a problem, too?

IBTL

IBTL? Pray, why? I was of course referring to African bees.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#5]

IBTL!

Mike
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Haitians?

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#7]
What? nobody around here likes frog's legs, yum!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Haitians?

Yup, IBTL for me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
"African frogs make good lovers",from an article in this weeks "Bay Area Butt Bangers free press."  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh yeah, I see how this is going to end

IBTL
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#11]
If the frogs were gay they wouldn't be complaining.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If the frogs were gay they wouldn't be breeding like crazy.     Maybe someone in that area still has a board with a nail in it or something to kill the frogs with.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought assault boards are illegal in California?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I though assault boards are illegal in California?

Only if they have a pistol grip or a telescoping stock.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#15]
pics?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Nope.  They'd marry them and pass new laws so they could adopt little orphan frogs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#17]
shoot, someone beat me to the Haitian joke
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Obviously what is needed here is a fistgate assembly for the frogs. They need to teach these little guys that  they don't need to breed with the opposite sex. They are obviously gay frogs that just don't realize it yet. Once they realize it then there won't be as much breeding and the population will be under control.

The problem here is that people need to just realize that all it takes is to talk to these frogs and reason with them. Killing them and resorting to violence is just completely unneccessary and evil. And if nothing else, do the children!   Er...I mean, do it FOR the children
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What? nobody around here likes frog's legs, yum!

I was wondering the same thing. Is African frog meat not any good?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ellis said the department had to divert funds to species that posed bigger threats — such as the voracious northern pike that has taken over Lake Davis near the Sierra Nevada community of Portola.

Pike?

Problem?

Up here, they're a much sought after wall-hanger...

Here fishy fishy fishy...
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#21]
You got that right! I bet if someone from KA saw the Muskies we had up here they'd try to ban them for looking evil with all their sharp teeth. No wonder they want to get rid of Pike too!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

They aren't gay.  They are metrosexuals.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
This sounds like a job for the FRENCH…
just tell them were the Frogs are and they will come and eat them all…

French Versus Frogs, probably the ONLY battle the French could win…

Andy
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Edit to add: Only a pussified state like Kalifornia could be "invaded" by frogs. In most other states it they'd use them to start a fast food franchise and call it a good day. Fags... is there anythign they can't do?

Actually it would be Kalifornia that the frogs could invade without surrenduring....

ibtl
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#25]
i hope they give permits to the masses to legally carry firearms so that u can kill an african frog on sighting..

that would be uber cool

damn this state
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#26]
San Francisco huh......
Won't be long untill we see these frogs show up on X-ray images having been.............inserted.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually it would be Kalifornia that the frogs could invade without surrenduring....

ibtl

I didn't post that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
San Francisco huh......
Won't be long untill we see these frogs show up on X-ray images having been.............inserted.

"Armageddon!" ribbit!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#29]
"African frogs......"

The French Foreign Legion invaded SF? COOL!

The African frogs, outlawed as pets in California several years ago, are used in medical and biological research. Some theorize that researchers might have released the animals into Golden Gate Park's Lily Pond and parts of Southern California to save the frogs from destruction.

Pet stores and collectors wary of being slapped with fines of up to $1,000 also might have released them into local creeks and ponds.

I'm more than willing to bet that the REAL reason a lot of them got released was because of groups like PETA and ELF, who routinely break into labs and let all the lab animals loose. Happened at UCIrvine in the 80's, which is why there are rabbits running around campus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top