Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 11:23:10 PM EDT
chineese eat their food any yet they stay small, healthy and ready for kung fu fighting.

i eat it and i gain a few pounds.

how do they do it!?

or are they only eating the white rice while we eat everything unhealthy they have to offer?

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Is Chineese Food Healthy?

Hell, no! But Vietnamese food is.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

whats the difference?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

whats the difference?

A lot of oil.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I always thought it was the tapeworms
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:31:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt the Chinese are eating at an all-you-can-eat buffet.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
BUFFET: Big, Ugly, Fat Fu$ks Eating Together

sounds about right to me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i would't think so either.

do these people live on white rice?

it amazes me that they arent fat blobs after having thier own AYCE buffets.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure the typical (i.e. non-urban) Chinese diet is mostly rice and vegetables.  Maybe that thinking is a bit antiquated though.

I am sure there aren't any more skinny people in China than in the US.  Now Ethiopia...that's a different story there.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Peanut oil is used ALOT in chinese food.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Peanut is one of the more healthy cooking oils, along with canola (another widely used oil in Asia) and olive.

Low in saturated fat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#11]
peanut, olive oil...yes healthy.

buffet, you fat american....no un healthy.

which is it?

use in moderation?

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

use in moderation?

Isn't that the case with everything?  Drink too much beer and you'll be a fat drunk.  Eat too many Twinkies and you'll be a fat Twinkie.

Eat too much Chinese food and you'll be a fat Chinese person.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
ah, but do chineese people eat chineese food on a daily basis? i would think so.

i have yet to see a fat chineese person at a buffet. so obviously they arent eating what they feed the masses.

are they all going to subway?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Chinese diets are most veggies and rice. A pound of beef steak when sliced up can feed a whole family. If you recall during the Viet Nam War, the American POWs were feed a diet of rice & beans, on the whole they were pretty healthy except for the part where they were physically beaten.

People in the USA eat too much beef at one time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Chinese food is healthy. unfortunately, what you whities think of as "chinese food" is not traditional, and a lot more unhealthy.

Most of the food is veggies and is lightly stir-fried. A lot of the stuff we feed americans is deep fried and coated with sugar-laden sauces.

Here's an explanation in plain English
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:57:35 AM EDT
[#17]
1 billion people cant be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:34:00 AM EDT
[#18]
What you mainland people are eating is not chinese food.  I don't know what it is.  When ever I go to visit my white side of the family I get amazed how crappy the chinese food is.  I am no conesuer but I am half chinese, and was raised with good chinese food.  I was also thin untill I got maried.  After that gravity just hit my belly.  So I am a stick with a belly, go figure.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:08:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I call the buffet at the local Chinese place "Southern Chinese" because most of the food is fried or breaded and fried. Pretty tasty too! I go there several times a year.
Healthy? I don't think so. All that fried food has got to be bad for most people.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:14:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Have to agree w/ clean cut regarding vietnamese cuisine...but still commercialized...not same as homemade.

and also w/ Mall ninja...chinese buffet is so "commercialized" for chinese food as McDonald's do for their burger...total different than "homemade" food.

Here at our home, we use Jasmine white rice...(from Thailand) not the hard-as-projectile white rice they have here in US that u can load in 17 HMR case and shoot thru body armor after u cook them b/c they are so damn hard even after cooking;

Most commercial rice or US store bought rice is the long-grain kind (hard and loose after cooking), while the jasmine rice (depending on water use during cooking - rule of thumb is about 1/3 inch of water above the rice), are slightly sticky but soft and taste great.

Don't know about the stereotype kungfu fighting...

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:18:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Probably not, but it's good!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:19:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Didn't you hear... the Chinese Buffets are China's way of making stupid Americans fat and slow so they can invade us with the greatest of ease. Our time is coming, the only question is... duck sauce, soy sauce?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Didn't you hear... the Chinese Buffets are China's way of making stupid Americans fat and slow so they can invade us with the greatest of ease. Our time is coming, the only question is... duck sauce, soy sauce?

Only Americans eat duck sauce!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:25:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

"Chinese" NOT "Chineese".
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:40:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Only if your "chineese".
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:43:46 AM EDT
[#26]
What is Chinese food called in China?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:51:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Not healthy......But taste good.

Too much oil and MSG......But taste good.

Fatening and greasy.....But taste good.

Me like chinese food....Me like taste good.

Me die with happy face  

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Food.

On a side note both times I visited Beijing the food was OUTSTANDING!

You get to realize that the "American Chinese Food" is dumbed down for us compared to the real thing over there.

It took me 6 months when I got back before I could eat the "merican" version.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:36:46 AM EDT
[#29]
It is not healthy.  It is left over who knows what with sauce on it.  It is the epitome of nasty.  Look up foul in the dictionary and you see Chinese food.  Other terms that comes to mind: Filthy, disgusting , dirty, unclean, loathsome, defiled, polluted, impure, nauseous, slimy and gross.  It makes you short and squints your eyes.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Chinese food is healthy. unfortunately, what you whities think of as "chinese food" is not traditional, and a lot more unhealthy.

Most of the food is veggies and is lightly stir-fried. A lot of the stuff we feed americans is deep fried and coated with sugar-laden sauces.

Here's an explanation in plain English

He is correct

U never see chinese people at the cheap Buffets, with all the fried crap, general Tso's chicken etc.
Cause they dont eat that crap
At the upscale Seafood type chinese buffets, with the lobster, snow crabs etc, i see plenty of chinese people, i guess cause its something they dont eat at home.

Normal chinese diet is small amounts of protein(meat), and alot of veggies, and just portion control
also the type of cooking is healthy, Woks and steamers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Bingo.

Vienamese food (the grilled stuff)  is the best
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:48:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It is not healthy.  It is left over who knows what with sauce on it.  It is the epitome of nasty.  Look up foul in the dictionary and you see Chinese food.  Other terms that comes to mind: Filthy, disgusting , dirty, unclean, loathsome, defiled, polluted, impure, nauseous, slimy and gross.  It makes you short and squints your eyes.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey, its the MSG.  It makes everything taste better  I'm Chinese (actually Taiwanese) and the food I eat at home is so different from how its prepared in a restaurant.  I know, cause my family ran one for 15 years.  In Chinese home kitchens you will probably never find a deep fryer, while in most Chinese restaurants you will find several.  Also, most restaurants serve portions that are way too big.  The bulk of the Chinese diet is white rice (depending on region, different types of white rice).  Vegetables, meat, tofu make up the rest, but are considered "condiments" (word used loosely) that go with the rice to add flavor and saltiness.  For example, an order of General Tsu's chicken would usually be enough for a family of 5 if you eat the proper ratio of rice:"condiments".  The usual ratio for my family is usually 2 bowls of rice with one bowl combined of everything else, with the everything else mainly low oil stirfried foods.  Oh, yeah, I forgot about the soup.  Soup is usually a light broth type soup with vegetables and stuff in it, not like the heavy soups served in restaurants.  The light soups are packed with nutrition because of the vegetables, but have relatively low fat and salt.  As far as the chinese buffets go...I'm guilty of going to those too, but that's when I want to eat out, eating unhealthy food
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
ah, but do chineese people eat chineese food on a daily basis? i would think so.

i have yet to see a fat chineese person at a buffet. so obviously they arent eating what they feed the masses.

are they all going to subway?

I worked in a Chineese Restraunt when I was in high school. I can tell you that they do NOT eat the crap that they feed us!
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#36]
As a first generation Chinese-American, I can tell you that Chinese food is no more healthy than anyone elses.  We use A LOT of oil, soy sauce, and for some-MSG.  What is healthy though is that there are fewer servings of meat per person and that there will typically be more servings of vegetable like chinese brocolli, bak choy, sprouts, etc.  Also, the crap you eat at the Chinese buffets and Panda Express is not real Chinese food.  You'll need to visit a Chinese Restaurant for authenticity.  Also because China is about the size of the US they have regional diets in every particular climate-just like you do here.  Typically what you have in the US is Southern style (Hong Kong) cooking (fried rice, chow mein, etc.)  There is also Mandarin (fried pot stickers), Szechuan (Kung Pow Chicken), Islamic Chinese (lamb & breads) and vegetarian dishes (originally from Buddhist Monks).  Its all good and delicious but you'll need to visit the Chinatown of a large metropolitan area like LA, Alhambra, Monterey Park, NY, San Fran, Seattle, Portland, etc.  

These are not real Chinese foods:

Chop Suey, General Zhao's Chicken, sweet & sour pork.

Quoted:
It is not healthy. It is left over who knows what with sauce on it. It is the epitome of nasty. Look up foul in the dictionary and you see Chinese food. Other terms that comes to mind: Filthy, disgusting , dirty, unclean, loathsome, defiled, polluted, impure, nauseous, slimy and gross. It makes you short and squints your eyes.

BTW RN45, I guess McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, Carls Jr and KFC are all healthy and nutrious foods served in pristine, well-kept places.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I guarantee you the cooks at Chinese restaurants "DO NOT" eat the same stuff in the buffet, that is
"Americanized" to cater to Americans, the same way TACO BELL is not authentic Mexican cuisine.

Chinese like to eat "steamed fish" instead of fried, also "steamed" chicken is more common than "fried"
chicken as served in buffets.

food cooked in "CLAY POTS" are also common when the food is cooked over the rice in the same pot.

common staple foods include foods like dried salted fish, salted black beans, salted bean cake, pickled cabbage & vegetables, salted duck's eggs, fresh vegeatbles,  chinese dried sausage & pork strips [thick chinese style bacon often eat with rice] salty shrimp paste, dried salted shrimp.

soups are also a daily part of the Chinese diet, melon soup, bean curd soup, mustard green soup, cabbage soup, rice noodle, rice porridge soup, all kinds of soups

there are also lots of more "exotic" type foods like turtle soup, bull frogs, snails, racoon meat stew,
bird's nest soup, black duck eggs [an aquired taste] field rats from the rice fields.

nothing is wasted, even things like chicken wing tips, pigs ears, pigs nose, tails, pig intestines, pigs head, fish eggs, pigs blood, certain insects like beetles, grashoppers, sand worms.

rice is the main food eaten in the south as part of the staple diet, but the people in the north often eat more noodles or breads, since they grow less rice crops in the north, because of the different climate.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

people in China often refer to food as "rice" no matter what kind of food, they usually say: "have you eaten rice yet?"

when dinner is ready they will say: the rice is cooked in chinese, meaning the food is ready...
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#39]
The traditional Chinese diet is actually smaller portions that what we get here in the US.   Furthermore, red meat is actually rare (unless it's pork).  If you eat cow (water buffalo), it means that your tractor died (water buffalo bellied up) or was about to die.  There's also a lot of fish in the Southern Chinese diet.  Also watch out for those buffets. That's really not traditional Chinese cuisine.  You may get it at banquets with all that deep fried food covered with rich sauces, but that's rare in the home.

BTW, cuisine varies from province to province.  The Northerners don't really eat much rice as much as the Southerners b/c they don't have the water like the Southerners do.  Wheat & millet are grown up north (so they eat flat unleavened bread that is delicious as well as noodles).  

Now, turning to the monks, they eat mostly vegetables and work out when they're not studying the scriptures.  If you worked out as much as they did, you'd be skinny too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Most commercial rice or US store bought rice is the long-grain kind (hard and loose after cooking), while the jasmine rice (depending on water use during cooking - rule of thumb is about 1/3 inch of water above the rice), are slightly sticky but soft and taste great.

Thanks to a Thai friend, my wife and I buy Three Elephant brand jasmine rice in 50 lb. bags.  Best rice I've EVER had.

Jasmine rice kicks all other rices asses.

Damn I love Thai food.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Burley: I personally like the Texas AA rice, but that jasmine rice fragrance is real nice when you're cooking it. This type of rice seems to have more varmin eggs present, so that you need to store in vacuum container etc.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Most of the time when you see employees eating at a Chinese restaurant, they have a bowl of rice and vegetables.  Compared to my plate of rice covered in General Tso's and Sesame chicken, it's no wonder I'm fat and they aren't.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I frequent a local Chinese rest. so much I must be considered family. I'm usually in at an off time and eat with the waiters and owner.

They mostly do rice and lo mein. Drinking water and hot tea.

Danny
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#44]
When we were young my mom would whip up veggies and stuff like beef oxtail stew,salty fish over pork and great stuff like that. When we used to own a restaurant We would joke about these foolish caucasions eating chop suey and ss pork ,almond chicken  but anyhting to make a buck right? I consider real chinsese food stuff like pig ears,chicken feet,fish stomach soup etc,etc.  i have to admit I occasinaly go to a chinese buffet but hat is just to have a change of taste. I see quite a few chinese american folk that I would consider fat. thats part of being in America. Go to HK/Singapore/China and most of them are thin. the climate has a lot to do with it a also the active lifestyle. since I'm so close to Vancouver BC I indulge in the great food up there quite often.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#45]
First, one unhealthy aspect of Asian cooking is the heavy use of pickled or salted foods.  All that nitrate causes much higher rates of stomach cancer in China especially.

Second, obesity is rising in China.  They are buying cars and beer so expect to see a lot more fat Chinese in the future.  In India the middle class are often times fat.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Me die with happy face  

hey that'd make a good fortune cookie fortune

"You will die with happy face"  fair enough.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Real Chinese people don't eat General Tso (or however it is spelled) Chicken, Sweet and sour pork, Chopsuey.....

There tends to be more rice and veggies than meat product in some Chinese cooking.

Don't get me started about American food. Big Macs, chilli cheese hot dogs, sausage & eggs, fried potatoes, creamed beef....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top