Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 3:04:10 PM EDT
I always raise a garden.  This year, it is looking great.

I've got radishes, cucumbers, squash, mustard greens, bell peppers, tomatoes, and green beans.

There's nothing better than freah vegetables from a garden.

How about you guys?

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good. I buy all my fresh veggies at the farmers market.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
What ya got growing there, anything good?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I grow corn, peas, and a few peppers every year.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I grow sweet bell peppers, jalipeno peppers,cherry tomatos,okra, and cucumbers. Matter of fact I just planted all my starts today
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
What is that between them rows ?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm juust getting started, so far all we have is a rosemary bush (mmm smells great) and sweet banana peppers :)

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
My ex GF had a 'secret garden'...oh NM.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I grow sweet bell peppers, jalipeno peppers,cherry tomatos,okra, and cucumbers. Matter of fact I just planted all my starts today

That's a good thing about living down south.  Early gardens.

Team Member said:
What is in between them rows ?

Holy smoke!  Where's my weed-eater?  (Weed...get it.  Okay, bad pun.)
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a good thing about living down south.  Early gardens.

Team Member said:
What is in between them rows ?

Holy smoke!  Where's my weed-eater?  (Weed...get it.  Okay, bad pun.)

Nice garden, could not help myself, Weed eater!  ROFLAO  
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]
are you out there in M****T?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]
No garden, just my buddy's and he always give me delicious hand outs!!! ...including fresh horseradish(sp?)!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Don't know where M****T is.

But I live in Nederland.

Land of the free and home of the brave.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#13]
This is NH, so we've still gotten some temps down into the high 30's at night.  I've planted onions, garlic, radishes and peas.  They're already out, but I'll have to wait on the tomatoes and peppers which are still growing indoors (take them out during the day).  Cucumbers and zucchini are planted but haven't come up yet.  I could have planted them earlier since they're very cold tolerant.  I love coming home in the summer and making a big sandwich for lunch with all the fresh vegetables and luncheon meat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Eventually I wanna try balcony gardening, I hear it can be done, so who knows, pics look good though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice!

I used to work on a Christmas tree farm,and the owner had a garden patch with produce.

Pretty amazing the size of the veggies that would grow there.

I've thought about tryin...any recomendations on books or info on how to get started?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But I live in Nederland.

im trying not to get your thread locked by saying the unholy word  
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I grow tomatos and garlic.  My wife and daughter grow flowers.

(The secret word is...............Marpat)
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Eventually I wanna try balcony gardening, I hear it can be done, so who knows, pics look good though.

My next door neighbor raises tomatoes in pots.  5 gallon industrial buckets, actually.

He does great.  It can be fine if you don't have enough room for a full sized garden.

byron2112 said:
I've thought about tryin...any recomendations on books or info on how to get started?

I learned from my Dad and Pappaw.  It's really easier than it looks.  God does all the hard part.

I have a Troy-built tiller and that helps a lot.  It really mixes up the soil and makes it loumy, or however it's spelled.  It also helps me keep the weeds down.

The big thing, at least down south, is to keep it watered.  The hot temperatures here can stunt the plants really quickly.

The secret is to prepare the soil.  I use a little calcium to break up the soil and a little nitrogen fertilizer.  Chicken or cow manure is even better if you can get it.  But factory fertilizer works fine for me.

It just takes a little effort to weed and pick the produce.  As an old farmer once told me, "The best fertilizer for any crop is the footprints of the owner."

There's nothing like a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, fresh from the garden.  Or, a bowl of fresh mustard greens.  

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Here in North Florida I planted in the middle of March.Tomatoes,cukes,carrots,3 kinds of peppers,watermelons,onions,garlic and corn.My corn is already 4 ft high and I've got small tomatoes and peppers already coming out. You darn sure have to keep it watered.It can burn up in a week or 2.How real farmers did it,relying on just rain I'll never know.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Just tilled mine today.   32'x27'.  Gonna grow a bunch of stuff.  Nice to see yours.  When ours is rocking I will take a pic.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#22]
We just rototilled up the plot this weekend.  If I'm lucky we'll get planted by Memorial Day.

Can still get right cold at night right through May up here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh ya, I love to garden. Good for the soul.

I didn't get my spring greens in this year, but got 28 tomato plants out, plus red and green peppers and some herbs.

Plan on getting my hot peppers, and melons in next weekend.

I'll take some pics of the fruits of my labor when they arrive, as my plants are still young (no early garden here!).

Can't wait for that homemade salsa!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I got around 20 peppers, 2 tomatoes, and carrots.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But I live in Nederland.

He means are you wearing   " *ARPA* " ?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#26]
AllllllRiiiiiiiiiight,

I am officially changing your name to Old_Showoff. That's a fine thing to do on a Sunday afternoon. Just go ahead and rub it in on us Zone 5 guys

I have garlic that was planted last fall, but almost everything else will have to wait until the last bad freeze around May 17. I've gardened since 4th grade and we enjoy it more each year. Like you say, nothing beats the home grown and picked fresh stuff.

NMSight
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I just started picking the cherry tomatoes that I planted in pots.The creoles are planted in the ground and I should start picking them in a week or two.I tried planting hot peppers store bought bagged soil by cutting slitsin the bags and the peppers are doing good.I like picking the peppers and either cook a few down in olive oil for great flavored oil and also storing the peppers in vinegar to sprinkle on my white beans.Now I am thinking about white beans and smothered wild rabbit.Try to get some pics of my small garden.I do have to say that I made it maintence free except for the watering.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Rutger tomatoes, sweet bell and banana peppers, and cucumbers!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top