Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2004 5:28:49 PM EDT

Edited to add that those guys without the wings are less than 1/8th inch long, about the size of fleas.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Look like piss ants to me.

I came across some in the flower bed last weekend with a bunch of winged ones.

Termintes are white or yellowish, in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Termintes are white or yellowish, in my experience.

In their winged phase, termites are black, looking alot like winged ants, the one distinction is if you look at their antennae, termites have a solid antenna with no "elbow", but ants have antennae with a distinct angled turn to them.

Also, their body has a different shape, but that's a more subtle difference.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
termites have 2 sets of EQUAL length sized wings.
Ants have 2 sets of UNEQUAL length wings.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
they are jbt ants, they will burn you out
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Hard to tell from the pictures.

Another thing to add....
Termites have two parts to the body.
Ant's bodies are in three parts.

I suggest taking a closer look.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, look like termites to me. It is their swarming season and they're all over here too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
No, those are termites.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Yea like JT said........... Ants have a pinched waist (like a mini wasp) where as termites have a straight body!
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Are these termites?

Who knows, who cares ?
However,  I do think some posters in GD are termites.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:50:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok, went back out this morning and found only a few of the smaller ones without wings and they were acting odd.  They have 3 body segments, their antennae are bent, and their wings are barely as long as their bodies.  The ones without the wings are also fast movers.  So, from what's out there it looks like they're definitely not termites.  That's a relief.  I was just shocked to see them on the house.  My father-in-law just sprayed the house while I was in Dallas because my wife told him that the fleas from both our neighbors dogs were swarming our yard now.  He sprayed both the front and the back yard, as well as 6ft up the sides of the house and garage.  From the few ones that were alive today, I expect that the poison took care of them.

Thanks for all the info.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top