Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 9:22:28 AM EDT
I am expecting an important email, but hotmail is blocked at my work because too many dumbasses were getting viruses on the work computers.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#1]
send your info to someone you trust, have them check, maybe set it up to have everything forwarded to your work addy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to www.hotmail.com? Or set it up in Outlook 2003?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Give me you rlogin//Pwrd and I will check it for you and forward anything that comes in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Give me you rlogin//Pwrd and I will check it for you and forward anything that comes in.

As much as I love you hielo, I don't trust you, yet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As much as I love you hielo, I don't trust you, yet.

<lol>, no problem.  DO you have a program called Hotpopper (or something along that line) that allows you to access hotmail via your own email program.  If not I can get you a link for it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Laptop + modem + spare phone line...\

WTH do you use SpamHotMail anyway?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.e-mailanywhere.com

That looks like it solves the problem nicely.  Good job Lumpy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.e-mailanywhere.com

That looks like it solves the problem nicely.  Good job Lumpy.

Damn, X-stop nailed that one too.

hielo, please provide me with the link for the hotpopper you mentioned.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I don't know, it's free, I have a cable modem at home so I don't feel the need to pay for an email account.  And I've been using it for years with no problems.

Are their better (free) options out there?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know, it's free, I have a cable modem at home so I don't feel the need to pay for an email account.  And I've been using it for years with no problems.

Are their better (free) options out there?

yahoo
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Damn, X-stop nailed that one too.
hielo, please provide me with the link for the hotpopper you mentioned.
Thanks

That probably won't do you any good either. If your computer admins have the systems locked up so that you can't
access Hotmail, AOL, etc, then they probably also have it set up so that "Joe User" cannot install software onto their
own computers. You'll probably start to install it, then get a popup that says (to paraphrase)
"Installation requires Adminstrative privileges"

My experience from the IT Security side.... I have our computers set up that way, as people were bringing in crap
from home, and putting stuff on their desktops.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

yahoo

But how is that better?  I've been using hotmail for years with no problems.  It seems like a lot of trouble to switch if there isn't any appreciable benefit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That probably won't do you any good either. If your computer admins have the systems locked up so that you can't
access Hotmail, AOL, etc, then they probably also have it set up so that "Joe User" cannot install software onto their
own computers. You'll probably start to install it, then get a popup that says (to paraphrase)
"Installation requires Adminstrative privileges"

My experience from the IT Security side.... I have our computers set up that way, as people were bringing in crap
from home, and putting stuff on their desktops.....

I've got admin rights on my computer.  They don't have a very tight reign on us, but they had to block outside email providers because too many morons were opening unknown attachments and spreading viruses and worms.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Laptop + modem + spare phone line...\

If they're concerned with security the company won't allow that.  You could get around that with a cellular modem but I doubt he's going to want to go that route.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yahoo

But how is that better?  I've been using hotmail for years with no problems.  It seems like a lot of trouble to switch if there isn't any appreciable benefit.

If they're blocking hotmail I'm sure they're also blocking all outside e-mail access.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yahoo

If they're blocking hotmail I'm sure they're also blocking all outside e-mail access.

Yeah, the've blocked yahoo, aol, etc...  All the big ones.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Are they also blocking mail.ar15.com or your cable ISP mail server?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Just a longshot.....unplug from the network, reboot, log in to your machine, THEN plug your ethernet cable in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Go to www.hotmail.com? Or set it up in Outlook 2003?

Unfortunately we are on Outlook 2000.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#21]
A lot of that filtering (almost all of it, actually) is done at the company's firewall.  logging in before you plug the network cable in is not going to do you one bit of good.

Best solution would be the laptop+modem route; failing that, you might be able to find a free "secure" proxy that would make the firewall think the traffic is not from hotmail, and therefore would be allowed through.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Any network admin worth his salt will also be blocking proxies.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Hah! Duh! I forgot...you can set up Hotmail to alert you on your mobile device, i.e. pager, cellphone. Sender, subject line, time/date stamp and the first 100 or so characters of the e-mail will be displayed on your cellphone screen.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#24]
well here is a long shot. find a proxy server it worked for dukenukem at his place of work
like  http://www.megaproxy.com/ and stuff like that. some of them are free others are free for like 4 sites. i gave him a complete list  mega proxy is the only one i remember. Ronald
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Aw screw it!  I'm not technically savvy enough for this.

It'll have to wait until I get home.  I don't want to do anything naughty and piss off my IT security folks.  

Thanks for all the ideas though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top