Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 7:21:50 PM EDT
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/04/national/main615529.shtml

'Crybaby' Coach May Shed A Tear

PLEASANTVILLE, N.J., May 5, 2004

(AP) A basketball coach will be ordered to make a public apology, banned from coaching and sent to sensitivity training for giving a 13-year-old player a "Crybaby Award" at a season-ending banquet, officials said Wednesday.

Whether he loses his job remains to be seen.

James Guillen, 24, a third-year special education teacher at the Pleasantville Middle School, had a trophy made up showing an infant atop a pedestal, with a plaque bearing the inscription of player Terrence Philo Jr. and the words "Crybaby Award."

Terrence was spelled "Terrance."

After summoning the boy to attend the April 24 banquet, Guillen gave him the trophy, humiliating the boy in front of about 25 teammates and parents.

On Tuesday, the Pleasantville Board of Education voted to fire Guillen, rejecting Schools Superintendent Edwin Coyle's recommendation for lighter sanctions.

The nine-member board did so against the advice of its own attorney, who said state law mandates that hiring and firing recommendations come from the superintendent, not board members.

As a result, the vote to dismiss Guillen wasn't valid, according to Frank Belluscio, a spokesman for the New Jersey School Boards Association.

"It's not binding. It's not proper procedure," Belluscio said.

Coyle, who said dismissal would be too severe a punishment, said he would ban Guillen from ever coaching in Pleasantville schools and order the sensitivity training and public apology.

In addition, Guillen will be ordered to hold the banquet again and give Philo the trophy other players received. A veteran teacher will be assigned to mentor Guillen, Coyle said.

Coyle said he would ask the board a second time to authorize a five-day suspension without pay and the forfeiture of a $3,000 pay raise due Guillen.

Others want stiffer penalties.

"He should be fired," said Gina Jones, 43, of Pleasantville, a parent who attended Tuesday night's meeting. "You should just have better sense. He needs to publicly apologize and take some of the burden off little Terrence."

The boy's father, Terrence Philo, said he would leave the penalty to school officials.

"I just want what's right. I want my son to have a trophy and certificate like everyone else got. No less, no more," he said.

Guillen, who has yet to speak publicly about the incident, remains on the job as a special education teacher at Pleasantville Middle School.

A man who coached in a summer league in which Guillen played as a teenager defended him before the school board, saying the crybaby term was used to motivate players.

"'Crybaby' means you argue too much and to focus more on your play. It has to be taken in context," said Vernon Walker, 40. But he said what Guillen did showed poor judgment.

I dunno, maybe he deserved it...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Dupe Dupe Dupe. It's been posted here about 3 times. I wish the search function would come back some time soon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

James Guillen, 24, a third-year special education teacher at the Pleasantville Middle School

Well, if the kid is 'special', then it's pretty messed up and this guy should not be coaching in the near future.

But if the kid is a normal 13 year old, then I think it's funny as hell.

I've known kids like that and they grow up to be adult crybabies.  Maybe if more 'crybaby' awards were handed out then these kids would toughen up and grow into normal functioning adults.

13 is old enough to take a joke, and 13 is too old for being a whiney wussy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Terrence? WTF? No wonder he's a crybaby!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
If he gave the award to a mentally handicapped kid, he needs to be beaten.

If he gave it to a regular 13-year old crybaby whiner , who will probably grow up to be a liberal, then  good for him.  Like someone else said, we need to toughn up these whiners before it gets to be too late.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
How many "Professional Athletes” deserve that award?

Just too sad to talk about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
They ought to give him an award.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top