Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 11:37:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
From an extremely reliable source.

Paul Podhorn is currently being prosecuted by ATF for failure to log in or fill out 4473s for the transfer of over 250 firearms.

The name is familiar but the circumstances escape me?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paul Podhorn is currently being prosecuted by ATF for failure to log in or fill out 4473s for the transfer of over 250 firearms.

Scammed nearly the entire old board out of several grand in a magazine refinishing scam. Some estimates were as high as 5 or 6 figures. Kept the mags, kept the cash.

That was right as I started here.  How come nobody shot his ass?  Or at least had him arrested.  I know people were spotting him at  various gunshows.  Just curious?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Hope Bubba assrapes him daily in the pen.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:38:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Scammed nearly the entire old board out of several grand in a magazine refinishing scam. Some estimates were as high as 5 or 6 figures. Kept the mags, kept the cash.

That was right as I started here.  How come nobody shot his ass?  Or at least had him arrested.  I know people were spotting him at  various gunshows.  Just curious?

I never understood that either.  All these internet tough guys, and yet somehow Paul managed to never get his ass kicked.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:40:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I wasnt part of the board back then I quess.  If I saw him at a show and I had gotten ripped off Id probaly find his car and atleast slash his tires.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I never understood that either.  All these internet tough guys, and yet somehow Paul managed to never get his ass kicked.

That's easy - you'll note that Mr. Pudhorn is the one going to jail, and not some arfcom member.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:58:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

heh,
I remember that...karma...don't ya love it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's easy - you'll note that Mr. Pudhorn is the one going to jail, and not some arfcom member.

... Touché
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:11:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:23:22 AM EDT
[#13]
yup, all of your deeds do come back to you
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Time wounds all heels.....
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:41:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He was a member here. His handle was Paul308. Good riddance to bad rubbish!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep... he's getting his... but no doubt he enjoyed everyone's money before karma caught up with him. Probably sold all the mags for some more money too. So who has the void in their wallets again?

Seriously though, what prevented the board from pressing charges?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:00:10 AM EDT
[#17]
God, that was a long time ago....

Luckily I didn't own any magazines at the time, and even if I did I couldn't afford to have them re-finished..
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:01:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I was going to kick his ass one day, and I would have too, if it hadn’t been for that damn diarrhea.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Here ya Go.....

Gun dealer is accused
of lax record-keeping

A gun dealer, Paul Edward Podhorn Jr., 56, of Virginia Beach, Va., was indicted Thursday by a federal grand jury in East St. Louis on 29 counts of selling rifles without keeping records of the buyers.

The sales took place in Jersey County in 2002. The government wants Podhorn to forfeit 12 weapons seized by agents.

near the bottom...

www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/News/St.+Louis+City+%2F+County/5A16DF9663D2D25E86256E80000BB05F?OpenDocument&Headline=UTICA,+Ill.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How's the saying go:
Action talks
Bullshit walks.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:19:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember that deal. I think I had one mag at the time so I didnt get involved.

What happens to all guys that bought those firearms?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:57:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I remember that deal. I think I had one mag at the time so I didnt get involved.

Without records, it'll be kinda hard to track em down, I'd suspect.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Hilarity Ensued.

It's good when things catch up to the deserving.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
people.cornell.edu/pages/spp5/pictures/nelson.jpg

now that was friggin' funny!!

And very appropriate also....
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Maybe if we're lucky, Toad will be next.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Why does it take so long for Karma to kick in?    

Some people get away with stuff way too long.  

Colt_SBR    
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Guess this is one time when all you militants are rooting for the ATF
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Looks like they finally did the job right.....
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Who is Toad?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#32]
wasn't he also converting M1A mags to fit the AR-10?

I remember him form the old board. He also had his own forum for tthe longest IIRC. Wasn't he partners with the AntiUSA character?

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

And they didn't burn anything down or kill any babies or puppies this time.

Those sensitivity training courses must be working.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

In other news today, arowneragian found himself unable to formulate any sort of reply.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Who is Toad?

Todd Bailey of Speshul Weapons. Quite possibly one of the most reviled individuals in the gun business. Imagine RGuns being able to read and write and you'll get the picture.

I'LL SUE!!!! I'LL SUE!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#36]
AFAIK, all this was before my time. I will suggest that someone who was around then - preferably someone who was stung by this bastard should write a calm, articulate letter to the prosecutor settong out the scam in a short paragraph or two, and closing with something like "Mr. Prudhorn may be guilty of nothing more than a record-keeping violation in the case you now have, but I doubt it. He is fundamentally dishonest, and a thief. I suspect, based on his track record,  that something more than meets the eye is going on here. In any event, I hope that you will take his past deceit in mund at sentencing time."

Wouldn't it be nice to contemplate his standing before the magistrate hearing a prosecutor say "And furthermore, your Honor, he stole from people on AR15.com"?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Who is Toad?

Todd Bailey of Speshul Weapons. Quite possibly one of the most reviled individuals in the gun business. Imagine RGuns being able to read and write and you'll get the picture.

I think you're seriously overestimating Toad's abilities.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I agree with the post above that a thread should be started HERE ON ARFCOM concerning/listing  his scamed victims stung here years back. IIRC there were claims in the thousands that could be added to his current charges. I was not one of those "stung" but I bet those that read this thread would like to add to the .gov's  settelement w/him in the coming years.......but knowing the .gov they'll just give him a bitch slap and take any license's (FFL,C&R,CCW) he may have away and offer probabation.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Wouldn't it be fun to be a character witness.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Why does it take so long for Karma to kick in?    

Some people get away with stuff way too long.  

Colt_SBR    

Yeah, but the longer it takes the worse it gets.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I followed the whole episode myself but never sent the m/f any mags.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Without records, it'll be kinda hard to track em down, I'd suspect.

I suspect Paul kept track of their payment info. Can't be too careful with all the scammers out there.

My thought is that they had to know they were getting firearms off paper unless he told them all that they were from his personal collection.
I fill out all my 4473s myself. If I wasnt asked I'd be suspicious.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who is Toad?

I think you're seriously overestimating Toad's abilities.  

I never said he could perform those tasks WELL.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Just 'till all the guys who sent ARES $1500 come the realization that they allowed themselves to be scammed in a completely legal manner.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#46]
There was a thread a while back where one of the ARF members had sighted POS Podhorn at a gun show and was going to go there and apply a real life ass-whipping to him.

The general general consensus of the board was for the ARF NOT to go kick his ass, so it didn't happen.

I also remember that the US Postal Service was involved. I wonder how many people still have their complaints they sent in to the USPS.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Just 'till all the guys who sent ARES $1500 come the realization that they allowed themselves to be scammed in a completely legal manner.

The Shrike exists, damn you! It's just that you can't see it unless you really believe.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#49]
No relation at all. I keep all my own magazines ... and do a real crappy job of painting them on top of it too.

Paul308 not Paul
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top