Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Jeez, even the local Bartell's drug store near me sells 8% ales, and hard ciders in addition to hard liquor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BTDT, it’s a weird place.
View Quote

FPNI, again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bring your own next time.  At least one can get more than 3.2 beer in that state now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How is that even a thing in the US?

That's so ass backwards, goddamn
View Quote

It's not ass backwards, it's a racket

Lots of jobs and contracts to be given out

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:19:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mormons....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stop at Lees in Mesquite before you cross the border. Only 30 miles from St. George.
View Quote

If your drinking in S. Utah this ^^^^^^is the way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had a couple layovers in SLC and don't recall if the airport bars had any restrictions.  I remember drinking some local brew as I stared out the window
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:31:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Never heard of such a thing. How dumb
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Being from Virginia I was "shocked" to find out Walmart sells "hard" booze in Indiana (I was there a few months ago)  

Fuck The ABC and every fucking General Assembly and Governor that refuses to privatize booze sales.

Edit: Could be worse though. At least VA isn't PA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:32:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mormons....

Although I know a few that agree with civilized folk, it's tarded.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Coming from Missouri I always am baffled by the liquor laws in other states.  Here you can pretty much sell beer or liquor everywhere.  Drive though, walk in, crawl in.  Every gas station sells it, and when you get out of the cities you will find those wonderful gas/alcohol/gun stores.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've never been in a state without weird hooch laws, to my knowledge anyway. Maryland seemed straight on paper, but typically there's always something or another that's dumb.

Virginia had state run liquor. Now in the land of gators and methheads, there are no 40 ozs, it's hard but not impossible to find six packs of pints, and our liquor licenses are capped and distributed via random lottery that anybody can pay the entrance fee for, so you end up finding some odd ass places that sell liquor. Because Floridaman McGee's great grandfather won the lottery 100 years ago and now he uses that to sell moonshine out of his shed.
View Quote

Kentucky seems awesome to me everytime I'm there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:43:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Welcome to St. George!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I moved to UT from CT in 2014 and it's the best decision I've made in life.

That being said, upon arrival, it was weird and somewhat interesting realizing how dominate mormon culture is in UT, including how restrictive state laws are.

About 3 or 4 years ago i was invited to tour the Provo LDS temple before it was re-dedicated from some dude i met on a flight to Dallas. Little did I know it was a blind date. After the temple tour, which as i now understand is rare for non-believers, I got out of there quick when they wanted to go for root beer floats.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That being said, upon arrival, it was weird and somewhat interesting realizing how dominate mormon culture is in UT, including how restrictive state laws are.

About 3 or 4 years ago i was invited to tour the Provo LDS temple before it was re-dedicated from some dude i met on a flight to Dallas. Little did I know it was a blind date. After the temple tour, which as i now understand is rare for non-believers, I got out of there quick when they wanted to go for root beer floats.
View Quote

Temple tours are for every one, member or not.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:49:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Unless something has changed in Louisiana fairly recently,  you still can't buy alcohol on Sunday (at least in some parishes) though.  Drive through daiquiri places were fun.  

As for Utah, kinda sucks on alcohol but I was able to score two bottles of Stagg Jr and blanton at retail price last year.  Struck out last week though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#17]
hypocrite fucking mormons run that state.

they hated caffeine too until the church bought pepsi cola. now its ok of course.

and dont preach to me, i married into a hypocrite mormon family. glad thats behind me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:50:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Temple tours are for every one, member or not.
View Quote

Prior to dedication, yes.

I'm not complaining about anything to be clear. UT at the end of the day might remain as the only 2A sanctuary state.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#19]
If the liquor store you went to has a security guard, you must be near downtown SLC.

Gross.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#20]
UT is different.

It's the only place I've had adults ask me to buy booze for them. It's cheaper and easier on base so once people figured out I could get on base they wanted me to buy all their booze.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:54:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Prior to dedication, yes.

I'm not complaining about anything to be clear. UT at the end of the day might remain as the only 2A sanctuary state.
View Quote

One step closer to permitless concealed carry after today.

Of course, whether or not Cox does the needful is another story.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#22]
In NY you can buy beer in supermarkets or convenience stores and some also sell wine but not liquor. You can buy wine or liquor but not beer in a liquor store.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I honestly love UT and SLC. I’m strongly considering moving here. But man, I’ll have to cut back on drinking.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:02:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If the liquor store you went to has a security guard, you must be near downtown SLC.

Gross.

View Quote

I am staying in downtown
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I honestly love UT and SLC. I’m strongly considering moving here. But man, I’ll have to cut back on drinking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:04:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I am staying in downtown
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gross.

I am staying in downtown

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:04:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
California does pretty much everything ass backwards but our liquor laws are one thing the state does correctly.  Of course that’s probably so you can drink your sorrows away for having to live in this damn place.
View Quote

When is last call?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I got to Moab every few years and first time I walked into a state store out of curiosity as I was at the Napa store next door. Looked like nothing had been touched in ages. First couple times it was for a national event and everyone brought booze from their home state. I had at least 8 cases of beer plus a few bottles of liquor. Good thing I wasn’t pulled over.

Texas is stupid in its own way. Dry counties and semi-dry counties. The whole 51% thing. If a federal holiday falls on Sunday then liquor stores can’t be open on Monday. Three tier beer system. Confusing public consumption rules that cops don’t know and will try to bust people for. Stupid 24oz law for festivals/beer tasting. So forth and so on.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:11:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Those laws are really fucking dumb, but they aren’t the only place with really dumb liquor laws.

WA taxes the shit out of it. PA won’t let you buy more than two 6 packs at a go. NC liquor stores have shitty selection and are closed on Sundays. TX has dry counties. On and on.

Blue (liquor) laws are an affront to liberty and are a corrupt and unjust vestigial appendage left over from prohibition. Lots of ‘legal’ corruption at play too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am staying in downtown
View Quote

I live downtown, but in a much nicer area than where the hotels are. I think I know which of the 4-5 main hotels you are staying in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:12:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I live downtown, but in a much nicer area than where the hotels are. I think I know which of the 4-5 main hotels you are staying in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am staying in downtown

I like where you're going with this.

Should I bring the fruit plate or the imitation crab meat?

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:14:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're responsible for the charcuterie board, I'll bring the box-o-wine
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh shit, you're in the fancy part of town.

Best I can do is some Kroger sliced cheese and a pack of bologna on a cutting board.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:23:23 AM EDT
[#34]
It's much better now than before the winter Olympics.

Prior to that, the Mormon Pope could brag to his membership in their annual communication that there were still "No bars in Utah". He was technically correct in that even in the hotel bar, a portion of you room cost was your "membership" to that "private club" and your door key was your "membership card".

And yes, the "Jesus curtains" are still a thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:42:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:45:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Been there done that. This was a bottle we saw...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:56:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Alabama has state stores and control the distribution to private liquor stores and they still lose money every year.

Let me repeat that. The state has a monopoly on liquor and they lose money.

You can't make that up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:07:41 AM EDT
[#38]
If you want a good Liquor store you got to go north to Idaho Falls. Rebellious bunch they are.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Best I can do is some Kroger sliced cheese and a pack of bologna on a cutting board.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Charcuterie is just french for lunchable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:15:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Lots of states do. UT is just extra tarded.

We voted to end the state liquor monopoly almost a decade ago, it's nice, but it came with a tax hike on booze.
View Quote

Costco spent 1m to make sure that smaller stores were excluded from liquor distribution. Gotta love those benevolent corporate overlords.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:19:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Yep.  I usually have a couple cases of liquor in my car when I make the drive to visit family in Utah.

A long time back I was riding Amtrak from coast to coast, and it made a long stop in the wee hours in SLC for supplies, maybe a crew change, whatever.  Anyway, I'm awake and I'd never seen SLC, so I get off to look at the skyline, get some fresh air, and stretch my legs.  Another guy gets off and heads into the distance.  Just before the train leaves, he's back, and pissed.  "What kind of a piss-ant town is SLC?  There aren't any liquor stores open."

It was about 2AM on a Sunday.

Anyway, we roll on.  Amtrak conductors have a standard announcement about Vegas stops.  We're going to stop.  Just long enough for passengers to get on and off.  You will see the slot machines inside.  They look close.  Do not think you have time to go in and pull a few handles, because you don't.  You'll miss the train. Okay, cool.

The next stop after Vegas is an hour down the road.  As we pull in, there is SLC liquor guy, standing next to a taxi.  Want to guess what he did?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yay blue laws and bible thumpers!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:26:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Hear you can go to your local Wal-Mart and buy all the cold beer, wine and hard liquor you want 24-7-365
They did away with the blue laws a few years back.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:34:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Does ohio still have that weird max percentage law?

It was bizarre going there from Michigan, and only being able to get like 27% vodka.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:35:59 AM EDT
[#45]
As a Florida man with a Job offer in Ogden...

This concerns me...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:40:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:54:51 AM EDT
[#47]
This is why you don't vote for authoritarian cucks, whether they're red or blue. They'll fuck up alcohol sales because "muh devil's brew!"
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#48]

I was totally thinking of this movie.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is exactly why if you live in southern Utah and you mention to anyone that you're going to Mesquite or Vegas, you instantly get drink orders.

I've been to a state store here like twice. They're overpriced, underwhelming and the selection is garbage unless you just want a handle of Stoli or whatever.

There's a reason that the little place in the middle of nowhere named Mesquite, just a 20ish minute drive over the border, keeps expanding the size of its liquor store that is basically almost the size of a Costco now.

If you're buying alcohol at the state store, you're either landlocked in the middle of the state, a complete alcoholic, or a tourist.

View Quote

That’s exactly what my parents do. They drive down from their place just outside of St. George to Mesquite once or twice a month to stock up.

Another oddity I found was a a microbrew pub in Park City. Wanted a flight to try what they make. Nope. Couldn’t have more than one alcoholic beverage at a time.

Pants on the head retarded.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Come to PA. You can't buy beer and liquor in the same place. If you get 6 packs from a bar you can only carry out 2 at a time, but you can go in and out as many times as you want.
View Quote

Or else you go to a beer distributor and walk out with a case.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top