Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:52:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Fuck yea. I could name a few others also, one in particular is “Kingdom Under Glass.” An amazing read.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Half of these posters need to pick up a Peter H Capstick novel.

Fuck yea. I could name a few others also, one in particular is “Kingdom Under Glass.” An amazing read.

Wish I could find my copy of African Game Trails.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:00:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Cape Buffalo is a bigger rush. 416 Rigby out of a nice English double rifle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:13:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
No. Elephant is the biggest rush. Buffalo aren't close.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:54:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe Cape buffalo are the most dangerous animal. That and hippo? Could be wrong though
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:18:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I would Fo on an elephant hunt.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:22:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

Think this would kill an elephant?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:24:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:32:30 AM EDT
[#9]
If aliens exist, we're gonna encounter one eventually that will hunt us for fun and use the same reasoning as GD does.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If aliens exist, we're gonna encounter one eventually that will hunt us for fun and use the same reasoning as GD does.
View Quote

You already have aliens hunting you for fun in CA, they just come from south of the border.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't agree with killing anything that might have a soul, unless for survival and/or self defense.

Elephants are very smart, and if any "animals" have a soul, elephants surely do.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/484974/Screenshot_2021-01-19_Elephant_art_fetch-1787552.JPG

African "hunts" are basically canned hunts. You're killing pets.

This isn't 1887.
View Quote

Define a canned hunt?  I’m interested to see what you consider a canned hunt to be.

What do you think a safari was in 1887?  How did the people of means in 1887 hunt in Africa that makes it, you know, ‘Wisconsin style’ hard hunting?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't imagine a bigger rush, it's a bucket list hunt that I'll likely never get to do.

If you're going to be a whinny bitch about shooting Elephants than leave now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdxMTB5NHH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDCsv6aZywQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jtNyTk5NZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9EW4dmzOjw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWya0K-KIMI

View Quote

Maybe the Elephant will win. Hoping
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Whales are the biggest of big game Animals.

They also taste much better than Ele and are easier to skin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#14]
One of my project rifles planned this year.

Take-off Ruger No. 1 458Win Mag barrel fitted to a Mauser 98 action.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Let me go one step further all trophy hunters are morons. Ignorant call it what you like. Unless you were going to eat the meat of the kill just killing a beautiful animal for the sake of it is wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
another ignorant post. lol @ helpless

Let me go one step further all trophy hunters are morons. Ignorant call it what you like. Unless you were going to eat the meat of the kill just killing a beautiful animal for the sake of it is wrong.

Every bit of that elephant gets used or eaten.  The $$ for the hunt helps protect them.  You sir are ignorant... but perhaps you are woman?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Elephants,..Donkeys,..
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I consider myself a fairly avid hunter. I cannot grasp the appeal of this. Seems to me its more of killing exotic animals just for the bragging rights.  To each their own tho. I understand the money goes to conservation of the species
View Quote

Completely agree.  And I’m not sure all the money goes to conservation, although it’s an admirable goal.

Especially with a rifle; go with a bow....
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If I win the lottery, I'll take 5 people from this thread on an Elephant Safari, and hopefully snag a few Lions while we're at it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#19]
In the modern world, unfortunately, everything has to pay its own way in order to exist.

It's easy for us to appreciate elephants and rhinos for their own sake from across an ocean.

If they were running around in your neighborhood killing kids at school bus stops and destroying your livelihood, your opinion would change quickly.

In other words, if such animals don't have value for the locals, either from hunting trophy fees or tourist dollars, they won't exist for long.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:11:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not even close. Elephant is in a league all its own.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I believe Cape buffalo are the most dangerous animal. That and hippo? Could be wrong though
View Quote

Yep, you could be.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My hunting stops at meat for the family. Would Not.
View Quote

Thank you.  Sorts hunters suck.  Would be interesting to see how they would feel being a target of one who kills for trophy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Couldn't feel good about killing an elephant for my amusement.

I'm a hunter but would rather see the elephant alive, more enjoyable to me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Here are a couple of pics of some epic modern day elephant safaris.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#25]
you still don't have a shaft on that thing?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have to agree with this. Been inside a truck and a buffalo bull decided to take offense to our presence. Elephant bulls will mock charge most of the time. This fucker was serious and wanted a piece of us.
Got into a scuffle with a hippo on a mountain road one night. I was drunk and the hippo took offense to me throwing rocks at it. There's more to the story, but not something I'd share in public I do remember thinking to myself that this is the night I get stomped into a mud hole. Had a family friend that had hole clean through his thigh thanks to a hippo and a friend of a friend (she was a model) that got killed by a hippo. In fact I know more people that have been stomped and killed by buff and hippo...nobody that got killed by elephant.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I do know that, but you're not hunting exotic species outside a high fence, and that's what ol' tex said he does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do realize that not all hunting in Texas is like what you see on TV? I don’t know why I just asked that. It’s obvious you don’t.

I do know that, but you're not hunting exotic species outside a high fence, and that's what ol' tex said he does.

@Flathead9

Guess this axis doe a 1/4 mile from my house doesn't exist then.

Note the LOW fence.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#28]

With those wings, I don't think it would go deep enough.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In the modern world, unfortunately, everything has to pay its own way in order to exist.

It's easy for us to appreciate elephants and rhinos for their own sake from across an ocean.

If they were running around in your neighborhood killing kids at school bus stops and destroying your livelihood, your opinion would change quickly.

In other words, if such animals don't have value for the locals, either from hunting trophy fees or tourist dollars, they won't exist for long.

View Quote

Exactly.

I'm assuming everyone remembers when that evil American dentist shot that poor lion who had a name?  There was something small but telling that came out during the massive online hooplah.  Among all the Western, suburbanites condemning such an action was one fellow who wrote either a letter or opinion piece to a major news outlet (I wish I remembered the details).  

This fellow as interesting because, despite the fact he lived in the West and had a college education, he was a native born African who actually grew up in a small village.  And basically his response was "The people in Africa who live next to the lions and have to live with lions killing their livestock don't really care that some rich, white American paid money to kill a lion."

So, yes, it's very easy to look at Africa through the Disney lens here in American.

How many of these people raging against the killing of an African lion would do the same about a Mountain lion?  And then what if that mountain lion had just killed their dog?  Or their kid?  Attitude would change real fucking quick.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's my belief.  The pictures I've seen of African spears that would be used on animals as big as an elephant have long, broad blades on a simple shift.  Pretty much the  hardcast bullet of the spear world, designed for maximum penetration.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you've never hunted an elephant but you're telling someone it's a bigger rush than a Cape Buffalo when you've never experienced either?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So you've never hunted an elephant but you're telling someone it's a bigger rush than a Cape Buffalo when you've never experienced either?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going off what I've read.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Going off what I've read.
View Quote

Please read some Capstick, Corbett, and some Patterson. Elephant is is the real King of the Jungle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You will never legally hunt Tigers. They are actually endangered throughout their range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You will never legally hunt Tigers. They are actually endangered throughout their range.

Yeah, I know, just wishing out loud!

Quoted:
Pigs are smarter but I doubt you would restrain yourself from killing them.

Yeah, but there is nothing majestic about a pig & I doubt they are smarter than an Elephant since the elephant's brain is 25 times larger.
Pigs are disgusting animals, I've hunted & killed a few, hopefully when I retire & leave Communist NY I'll get to kill a whole bunch more.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, but there is nothing majestic about a pig & I doubt they are smarter than an Elephant since the elephant's brain is 25 times larger.
Pigs are disgusting animals, I've hunted & killed a few, hopefully when I retire & leave Communist NY I'll get to kill a whole bunch more.
View Quote

I bet if you had enough money, you could probably hunt one in Siberia.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#36]
FWIW Hippos kill more Africans than any other animal does...other than their fellow man.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

How many times larger is an elephant’s brain than a human’s?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

I’m ready. Bring on the pachyderms.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd love to shoot one or a few, with a camera. I understand management but have no desire to kill one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Crows consistently test smarter than cats in terms of problem solving("get the food" puzzles). Guess which of the two has the smaller brain?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Fuck. Yes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#42]
and I though my ammo was expensive!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

This thread needs more pics of safari guns.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

.223 on left.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#45]
you just need a double rifle.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I’ve been eyeballing a Kreighoff for months.

But I’m a poor. ??
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Currently watching "The Ghost and the Darkness," trying to get pumped up for my dream safari.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Currently watching "The Ghost and the Darkness," trying to get pumped up for my dream safari.
View Quote
That reminds me. I haven't been to the fields museum in forever.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Whales are the biggest of big game Animals.

They also taste much better than Ele and are easier to skin.
View Quote

Im waiting for your Kill And Grill dinner pics. Really, hunt some pics up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Juat watched it recently myself. And have Patterson's book. Hard to believe he shot so many lions with a .303-and even back then he was told he was undergunned.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top