Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2021 6:19:58 PM EDT
We are getting very close to a weeks pay for a case of ammunition.

Average US weekly pay is $936, we are getting very close to that for multiple calibers of ammunition.

Think on that when the cost of ammo is so high and how much a lot of people really REALLY want it. And they want enough that most places limit the amount they can buy.

We look at the price but we don't really think about how long it's taking people to earn that amount when you look at the average weekly pay.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I need a raise
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I need a time machine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
My toy budget is $800 a month

These days that is barely a case of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I went shooting once in 2020.

This hobby is fucking dumb.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I need a raise
View Quote

I wish my pay went up as fast as it does in the private sector. Even public-sector benefits have gone to shit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I took up skeet, sporting clays, and 5 stand. Birdshot was all there was too be had. Now even that's getting tight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If it makes you feel better, by this time next year, January 2021 will be thought of as "the good old days" by comparison.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I only shoot when necessary anymore.

Necessary means different things to different people.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Go price cases of 5.7x28mm SS197.

$4000 and up for 2000 rounds - if you can even find that much in one place.

I'm really glad I stocked up like crazy when it was $16-17 per 50rd box.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I look at it as if people are still buying at these prices, it is out of fear and not because they really want to buy it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, I'm seeing guns for sale now that I would buy, but I can't get ammo or reloading components for it.  Or if I can find ammo, it's $2.00 a round.  No Thanks.  I've been forced into single stage reloading 9mm.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
My Win model 94 AE in 44 mag will be getting a workout as I have a crap ton of reloading components for it. And my T53 Mosin too as I discovered after sorting through things in storage that have around two thousand rounds of 54r that I got back in the good days. Way more then i thought i had.

Everything else is getting rationed.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If it makes you feel better, by this time next year, January 2021 will be thought of as "the good old days" by comparison.
View Quote

People said the same thing after sandy hook. The supply returned and prices came back down. Will this time be different? Who knows but it’s out of my control.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep, I'm seeing guns for sale now that I would buy, but I can't get ammo or reloading components for it.  Or if I can find ammo, it's $2.00 a round.  No Thanks.  I've been forced into single stage reloading 9mm.  
View Quote

Progressive FTW

Pumped out 450 rounds in between games of Call of Duty last night
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Im switching to airsoft.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

People said the same thing after sandy hook. The supply returned and prices came back down. Will this time be different? Who knows but it’s out of my control.
View Quote

Speculation and reality are often quite different. I live in Illinois, Democrat uber majority. They've been talking an AWB since forever. Never could get one passed. Cook county lives under one, but the the rest of us don't.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I took up skeet, sporting clays, and 5 stand. Birdshot was all there was too be had. Now even that's getting tight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there's always archery, and golf!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup sold all my shit, and now building off road LR Discover I and II rock crawlers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was hopeful that it would ease up in November.  Now, I think this could be a multi-year panic... and depending on legislation of online ammo sales,  perhaps much longer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I need a raise
View Quote

#metoo...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Much like Keto, it's a lifestyle...

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

there's always archery, and golf!
View Quote

I was actually thinking that lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Why is everyone so sad?
Thought this was a place of millionaires who bought a lifetime of ammo at 2cpr avg when everything was cheap?

Why is anyone even looking to buy ammo?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#24]
With amnesty for illegals, the coyotes will have to start bringing in ammo and primers from Mexico.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm off to do a belt dump now.....meh, it's just money.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#26]
it sucks. dealers arent doing us any favors bending us over and sticking it in our asses.... hey i get it, make hay while the sun shines.

but fuck.

id still rather pay thru the ass. keep the gun industry going, then have no ammo or guns at all.
i break it up, shoot a bit, hiking, camp out a night, see buddies .. etc make a day or weekend out of it. and still get some shoot in.
God knows whats coming, i see it will be a huge mess , can of worms the big bad Liberals will wish they may have not want to open if
they start banning everything. they are on a fkn rampage. acting like irate children that didnt get their ba ba's this morning... but are first to call us the problem.

they been screaming for change this change that as long as i can remember. change to what ??? my spouse told her Liberal friend the other day
great you guys won... do you think the world is going to absolutely change January 21st ?? she hasnt talked to her since...LOL.

we shall see.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
it sucks. dealers arent doing us any favors bending us over and sticking it in our asses.... hey i get it, make hay while the sun shines.

but fuck.

id still rather pay thru the ass. keep the gun industry going, then have no ammo or guns at all.
i break it up, shoot a bit, hiking, camp out a night, see buddies .. etc make a day or weekend out of it. and still get some shoot in.
God knows whats coming, i see it will be a huge mess , can of worms the big bad Liberals will wish they may have not want to open if
they start banning everything. they are on a fkn rampage. acting like irate children that didnt get their ba ba's this morning... but are first to call us the problem.

they been screaming for change this change that as long as i can remember. change to what ??? my spouse told her Liberal friend the other day
great you guys won... do you think the world is going to absolutely change January 21st ?? she hasnt talked to her since...LOL.

we shall see.
View Quote

Rising prices are supposed to slow demand and allow for those who really need a product to be able to buy some.

It isn't exactly going that way right now. It may in the future but that isn't dependent solely on past demand and availability but what may be legislated in the near future. And that skews everything.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I need a raise
View Quote

My last raise was 2014.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I picked the wrong time to buy that Ruger 57

Fuck it, she will sit in the safe till ammo is “normal “
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a suggestion - when the SS197 is back to reasonable costs buy it the moment it becomes available. Since only small batches are made available at a time the price tends to hover around $16-17 a box for a few months and then steadily climb until it hits $25+ per box. Then it goes out of stock for a while and the cycle repeats with the next batch.

Only had to do that once to decide I'd stock up for a few years of range trips the next time it came in. $700 per 2000 rounds wasn't too painful considering it's reliable and match-grade. It works out to being cheaper than match-grade 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm about to this point too. Been thinking about selling most of my collection.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I wish my pay went up as fast as it does in the private sector. Even public-sector benefits have gone to shit.
View Quote
The ONLY people I know who have received raises in the last 2 years were public sector jobs. Whatever they are telling you, don't believe it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Try staying active in USPSA/IDPA.   If I hadn’t stocked it deep when I could I wouldn’t be active.  The components were cheap to stock deep so a lot of time on the Dillon’s is keeping me shooting.

I wouldn’t be shooting much without reloaded ammo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's no longer a hobby for me.....

I can only afford to support the second amendment on paper and in spirit....

The "hobby" became to rich for my blood a long time ago.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#35]
It's a great time for those who stockpiled and are ready to sell.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I look at it as if people are still buying at these prices, it is out of fear and not because they really want to buy it.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I can no longer afford to shoot. Kinda takes all of the enjoyment out of the hobby.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#38]
You guys get paid?!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Geez, you guys should have stocked up when 5.56 was <$300 per 1,000 rounds and 9mm was <$10 per 50 rounds.  Some guys are set for life.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Geez, you guys should have stocked up when 5.56 was <$300 per 1,000 rounds and 9mm was <$10 per 50 rounds.  Some guys are set for life.
View Quote

Same people who made fun of me before 2013 made fun of me before 2020.... They're also the first ones to come to me asking for ammo at what I paid.. not those stupid inflated prices.   Good fucking luck is my reply.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Once we get laser rifles powered by Tesla batteries ammo prices won't matter anymore.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I need a raise
View Quote

Same here. I wish I made $936 a week.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#43]
man... I remember seeing those PSA DD's in my inbox advertising $175 9mm and $299 5.56 cases just months ago, thinking I should prolly pick some dat up just because it's so cheap... even if I don't urgently have a need..
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Same people who made fun of me before 2013 made fun of me before 2020.... They're also the first ones to come to me asking for ammo at what I paid.. not those stupid inflated prices.   Good fucking luck is my reply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My favorite part is when the people doing that in 2020 and 2013 are also the people saying rude things about SGammo for their "these prices will not last please buy what you need now" emails.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#45]
A case of ammo should be expensive.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Not buying anything anymore due to inflated prices.

Luckily I built up the ammo fort over the past four years.

I went to the range last week for the first time in a year due to switching jobs multiple times and becoming a parent.

In the near future I see myself shooting twice a year to stay proficient with my CCW and HD pistols.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Expound upon your thought please.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's Chinese.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#49]
I just started a second job to support my habit.
Is what it is.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm pretty well set for 5.56 and 9mm ammo, and reload for them as well.

But I've been conserving my stash of them by shooting my M1 Carbine and 7.62x39 rifles lately. SGAmmo has a healthy stock of .30 Carbine, and 7.62x39 is still available for not-terrible prices.

And, I broke out my HK91, installed the training bolt, and have been enjoying depleting my stock of the blue plastic German training ammo.

Full auto HK51 with DAG plastic training ammo (Ep33)

which is pretty freaking fun!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top