Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But I won't feel like Bear Grylls if I get the proper equipment...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For fuck's sake, just get actual bandages and dressings

But I won't feel like Bear Grylls if I get the proper equipment...

Quit drinking your piss.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No, but I have medical training after 1992
View Quote

Nailed it. OP failed it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#3]
A vagina is tubular, a gunshot is not.

Pack a vagina with a tampon, pack a gunshot with kerlix or ripped up tshirt or anything else that will conform to an irregular wound channel or channel.

Jesus Christ, you fucking retards. Stop buying gear and start getting training.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Why use a tampon that would absorb blood and let it flow more. Just cover it with a real dressing and be done. Stop the bleeding instead.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hmmmm, a device designed to insert into a bloody hole and swell up and stop the bleeding.

What use could it be in combat wounds.....?

View Quote

Tampons don’t stop the bleeding, they just catch the blood.

Totally fucking useless in a gunshot wound unless your only object is to transport the patient without blood getting on your upholstery.

If you actually want to help the patient, pack the damn wound properly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#7]
OP probably thinks TQ's are a bad idea to use also.

There's lots of outdated thinking out there. Get some training and purchase some reputable supplies.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’ve used a pad for a knife wound. Better than gauze.
View Quote

It's actually unequivocally worse if you're trying to actually stop the bleeding and not just absorb it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Women use them monthly for that very purpose.

Seriously, though, it was a semi-serious question.  I figured that tampons are small, come in a sealed package, and would be good for non-arterial puncture wounds.

I have sterile gauze, QuikClot, and other assorted tools in my FAK.  I've learned from the serious responses here that:

A: Tampons don't hold enough blood to be really useful.
B: They aren't hemostatic - just absorptive.  Probably OK for a nosebleed, but not much else.

As for Maxi-pads, I think they might be useful, but gauze packs are designed to do a better job.

It was just a thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tampons are not viable for wound packing.

Women use them monthly for that very purpose.

Seriously, though, it was a semi-serious question.  I figured that tampons are small, come in a sealed package, and would be good for non-arterial puncture wounds.

I have sterile gauze, QuikClot, and other assorted tools in my FAK.  I've learned from the serious responses here that:

A: Tampons don't hold enough blood to be really useful.
B: They aren't hemostatic - just absorptive.  Probably OK for a nosebleed, but not much else.

As for Maxi-pads, I think they might be useful, but gauze packs are designed to do a better job.

It was just a thought.

Yes they are a better alternative than nothing, but most hesitate to say that because people will read that and say its now a substitute... when it's proven not to be.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Like so:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FYI: Amazon has the two pack of Israeli compression bandages on a lightning deal right now. 58% claimed at the time of this post. deal ends in about 90 minutes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07GCSX693
View Quote

Those are made in China.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#12]
A lot of tampons actually have an anti clotting agent.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I maintain multiple trauma and first aid kits.

The trauma kits are purpose built for when you need shit RTFN and have the majority of TQs, airway adjuncts, splints, z-fold gauze, AED, etc.

First aid kits are built for the every day boo-boos and sniffles. Bandaids, small gauze pads, OTC meds, anti-itch, etc.

I do keep a couple of pads and tampons in the first aid kits. NOT for wound packing. For a while I was a co-ed Venture Crew Advisor and also have done plenty of hiking / backpacking etc with females. They were put in just as a "just in case" one of them happened to get a surprise visit from Aunt Flow while we were halfway into a trek. Just "Be(ing) Prepared" and whatnot.

I think the better question is if any of our female membership on Arfcom have ever tried packing with z-fold gauze. You know, for science
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
For axe wounds only.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

But do you shoot 45AARP?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes I have them, but for their intended usage and not for trauma. I have plenty of other stuff better at stopping bleeding.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#17]
As a matter of fact, I do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#18]
BMW owner told me once that Tampons came in their factory tool kit ....
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are still only the size of a finger.  How many gunshot or knife wounds are only a finger sized hole and only two to three inches deep ?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#20]
If an entry wound is large enough for you to fit a tampon into, you better carry a roll of bounty to shove in the exit wound
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
No hate on the OP for a good question...  I do still carry a few in my IFAK... don't know why, I have updated to all the latest stuff. Force of habit? who knows... what I can tell you is maybe someday during SHTF I can trade a few for a samich" or something!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But do you shoot 45AARP?
View Quote

Yeah. And burn nut coal in my parlor stove
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#23]
They are always helpful on the rugby pitch
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pack a vagina with a tampon, pack a gunshot with kerlix or ripped up tshirt or anything else that will conform to an irregular wound channel or channel.

View Quote

Do you really think arfcom has an understanding of the female anatomy?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I maintain multiple trauma and first aid kits.

The trauma kits are purpose built for when you need shit RTFN and have the majority of TQs, airway adjuncts, splints, z-fold gauze, AED, etc.

First aid kits are built for the every day boo-boos and sniffles. Bandaids, small gauze pads, OTC meds, anti-itch, etc.

I do keep a couple of pads and tampons in the first aid kits. NOT for wound packing. For a while I was a co-ed Venture Crew Advisor and also have done plenty of hiking / backpacking etc with females. They were put in just as a "just in case" one of them happened to get a surprise visit from Aunt Flow while we were halfway into a trek. Just "Be(ing) Prepared" and whatnot.

I think the better question is if any of our female membership on Arfcom have ever tried packing with z-fold gauze. You know, for science
View Quote

So the goal with managing Beelzebub’s tea party is simply not to make a mess. Every woman has wadded up something, usually TP, and crammed it right at the entrance. Packing isn’t necessary and will only make shark week messier.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post of the Day Winner.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t care if they know female anatomy, they’ll never see one anyway.

What bothers me is that they think wound channels are short, straight and can just be “plugged” like a twat.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#29]
In an emergency, if a women happens to have one, and someone is bleeding out, yes. But I have gauze etc in my emergency kit for that purpose. BTW it wasn't until much later in life that I discover women don't always know when their period is arriving, so they carry a small emergency one in their purse. I always thought the women would get some kind of warning, but nope.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Insufficient for treating GSWs.  Get QuickClot and do it right.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish this tampon for a gun shot wound idiocy would die (like the injured person that's being treated with this old wives' tale tampon bullshit).

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Jesus Christ no.

TQ, chest seals, bandages infused with clotting agents, NPA, H and Israeli bandages.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#34]
This old wive’s tale needs to die...before you kill someone.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Tampons are good for plugging up puncture wounds and the pads make good dressings. Just make sure you get the non-scented type so you’re not injecting the scent chemical into the wound.

Playtex Unscented Tampons, Always Maxi Unscented Pads
View Quote

no they're fucking not......stop perpetuating that bullshit...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#38]
No, I'm not a woman thus no reason for me to carry female hygiene products.  As someone else said, some of you need to spend money on an actual 1st aid course, even a basic Wilderness 1st Aid course from NOLS, instead of stockpiling crap.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I did 15 years ago
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting.  Makes sense, actually.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So the goal with managing Beelzebub’s tea party is simply not to make a mess. Every woman has wadded up something, usually TP, and crammed it right at the entrance. Packing isn’t necessary and will only make shark week messier.
View Quote

Pics?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

no they're fucking not......stop perpetuating that bullshit...
View Quote

Thanks for reading the rest of the thread.  Your finely crafted, eminently literate response proves that at least someone is paying attention instead of just knee-jerk reacting to the original post.

Well done, my good man.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Not after I took a TCCC class.  Those things are a joke compared to the right tool for the job.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes.
But I never thought about using them.
They are there just in case my gf needs them for whatever reason....
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#46]

This is why I'm glad I posted the question.

The article talks about the pressure applied by gauze packed into the wound overcoming the vascular pressure, stopping or at least slowing the bleeding enough to get to a hospital.

I wondered whether a tampon could achieve that goal (since they expand a certain amount as they fill with blood.)  But structurally, there's simply not enough expansion of the tampon material to do that.

I'm glad I learned that from people here who took the time to educate me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Fuck no.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#48]
This thread reminded me of two things I already knew about most on ARFCOM:

1. Misunderstanding of female anatomy

2. Huge need for basic medical training

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Sorry Op I have z pack, pressure dressings, tourniquets and other actual medical supplies.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#50]
No, I have Celox gauze in my kit for junctional wounds.  TQ's for extremity wounds that don't respond to direct pressure.  Gauze for non arterial bleeds.

Tampons? Really ?

BTW: if you have room in you IFAK's, you should really consider adding a mylar emergency blanket.  Hypothermia is a serious concern in trauma patients.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top