Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Corb Lund - Time To Switch To Whiskey
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I came to post "beer? No. Ice cream? Yes." But never even considered you meant actual booze. Fuck that
View Quote

QFT.
After the first couple of posts, I was ready to call AA.
Now that I see it's booze, I don't feel so bad...............for me.
OP, you need to cut back.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Uh....more than 2 servings of alcohol a day is a proven significant health risk.

A pint per day? If I told the VA I drank a pint a day, they'd be referring me to substance abuse lickity split.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Need to get it under control before it controls me.
View Quote

If you're having to resort to limiting what you buy to keep control, you have already lost control. Not trying to take a jab at you or anything, but drinking a pint of hard liquor a day is gonna wreck your shit. You may think you're working just fine, everything is great, and all that. I can promise you that it's because you aren't seeing the decline. Believe me...been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

You gotta make the choice if you wanna keep going down that rabbit hole that only gets deeper and darker, or if you want to get your shit right. The longer you wait to decide, the harder it is going to be to cut back.

You didn't ask for my input, but I would tell you to limit yourself to a pint a week. See if you can make it last that whole week. If you can't, you've lost control. If you can, sit back and ask yourself why you were doing it in the first place, and keep with that pint a week.

If you're dealing with depression or need someone to talk to and vent to, message someone on here and we will listen to you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's a shitload of booze to drink every day.
View Quote

I couldn't even imagine drinking that much that often.

A night or weekend of partying is one thing but every night?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#7]
WWSDD? What would Scag driver do?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I didn't quite finish that pint last night. I decided to put it down and go to bed. I'm going the rest of the weekend alcohol free. I never thought of what I was doing as problematic as I have acquaintances that drink as much or more than me. One buddy makes it work, but another buddy who was drinking over a fifth a day pretty much ruined his life with it and he's trying to pick up the pieces at the moment. I can't let it get to that point for me.
View Quote

This isn’t a competition.

I had a patient that would drink a pint of vodka when first waking up in the morning.  He tried drinking water instead a few mornings and he would vomit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WWSDD? What would Scag driver do?
View Quote

He would tell me to pump my numbers up. Those are rookie numbers.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
No offense intended but, almost everything you said in your post is exactly what most every alcoholic I know said before they admitted that they were alcoholic.

All of them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're drinking a pint of hard liquor a day, you need to cut WAY back.  If you can't, look at an alcohol treatment program.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No offense intended but, almost everything you said in your post is exactly what most every alcoholic I know said before they admitted that they were alcoholic.

All of them.
View Quote

No offense taken. I made this thread partially in jest, but it is now evident that I have a problem that I need to squash before it has significant negative repercussions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He would tell me to pump my numbers up. Those are rookie numbers.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you're drinking a pint of hard liquor a day, you need to cut WAY back.  If you can't, look at an alcohol treatment program.
View Quote

I haven't had a drink today. And I have a shot or 2 left from last night's bottle sitting here. I can not drink easily. It's just that when I start, I just keep going.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I haven't had a drink today. And I have a shot or 2 left from last night's bottle sitting here. I can not drink easily. It's just that when I start, I just keep going.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No offense taken. I made this thread partially in jest, but it is now evident that I have a problem that I need to squash before it has significant negative repercussions.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A couple months ago I had never tasted bulleit bourbon or rye. Now it's all I drink. Is a pint a day too much or should I try to cut back to a couple fingers a night? Costco only carries fifths but if I buy one, I'll drink one.  I'd rather buy a pint from the corner store for 18 and be limited by the availability.

What does the average arfcom liquor drinker drink in a night?
View Quote

i havent drunk a pint of hard liquor since i was in highschool a long long time ago. a couple of times doing that and i was completely cured of getting flat out drunk. which a pint of any hard liquor would do to me. i might get sick, i definitely would wake up the next day with a bad hangover and i sure as shit woudnt drive for a day or so if i drunk that much.

lotsa folks drink though. i have a acquaintance that drinks a 12 pack of tallboys every night. thats 1.5 gallons of liquid before bedtime. to me thats ludicrous. but thats the way it is.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is how it works. You get the first drink and it is game on until it is gone. It triggers the obsession of not enough. That is why alcoholics have to stop drinking altogether.  The first drink and they are circling the drain.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is how it works. You get the first drink and it is game on until it is gone. It triggers the obsession of not enough. That is why alcoholics have to stop drinking altogether.  The first drink and they are circling the drain.
View Quote

One is too many, and one more is never enough . . .
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are an Irishman it's about right.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Half of a 750ml of whiskey every evening is right where I settled when I was drinking. I would start right when I got home from work, and stop when I went to bed around 1-2 AM. Over that length of time it's pretty much just slow steady sipping, not taking shots or anything crazy. I wouldn't get fall-down drunk at any point.

I drank at that same rate for about 6 years. I stopped because I figured I had to stop eventually: it was just a matter of whether I wanted that to be before the "check engine" light on an organ starts blinking, or after. I chose before.

I don't drink at all now. Just because it's easier to not drink at all, than to drink a little. If I don't drink at all I hardly think about it most of the time. If I drink a little and stop, it messes with my whole night wishing I could keep going.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fuck it, come out thread.

I’ve been going nearly every day for over edit: 15yrs. Work, then slowly drink when I get home until 9. I’ve dumped hard liquor in the last 6mo but still drink a couple tall boys or nearly a bottle of wine. Some nights will just be a glass of wine.

I never used to drink, then I joined a band at 22 and started touring.

Well you see, when you tour everyday is like Friday. New city, new girls, free handle of Clear or brown liquor (we flip flopped each night), case of beer on top of snacks, water and shit. hit the stage to perform, drink on stage, drink backstage, bus parties, hit the local bars, local parties. What. A. Fucking ride. I need to write a book guys, I do... so many rocker stories.

Anyway

This was my night for 10yrs...10mo the out of the year. 38, i work and live a normal life now but I’m struggling to kick the habit of drinking everyday. My dad had cirrhosis of the liver in his 40’s... I’m pretty sure this shit will catch up to me.

View Quote

Ygpm

Liver disease is hereditary, meaning you’re already behind the 8 ball by drinking so heavily. Your liver can heal, it’s healing ability is incredible. But once you damage it enough it can never recover. The only way it can heal is to stop drinking.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#24]
OP shows signs of alcoholism.  Even if not one, his drinking pattern will shorten his life.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm actually in reasonable shape and have had the same job for 14 years. Drinking problem is fairly new, however. I'll keep you posted on the status of my job and health
View Quote

It's never too late to ruin your life.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Jesus dude? A pint?! Of bourbon?

Yes, that’s far too much. Cut back now, before it becomes an issue. Hell, I was having around 6 ounces per night, and was feeling kind of crappy in the morning, so I cut it back even further. Of course it all depends on body tight, and genetics, but no matter who you are, a pint is way way too much.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP shows signs of alcoholism.  Even if not one, his drinking pattern will shorten his life.
View Quote

I haven't been drinking at this level for very long. But at least I've acknowledged the problem before it has fucked up my life. I haven't had a drink today and am going to attempt to make it through next week sober as well. Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#28]
3-6 ounces nightly...  once or twice a month I abstain for a day
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

i havent drunk a pint of hard liquor since i was in highschool a long long time ago. a couple of times doing that and i was completely cured of getting flat out drunk. which a pint of any hard liquor would do to me. i might get sick, i definitely would wake up the next day with a bad hangover and i sure as shit woudnt drive for a day or so if i drunk that much.

lotsa folks drink though. i have a acquaintance that drinks a 12 pack of tallboys every night. thats 1.5 gallons of liquid before bedtime. to me thats ludicrous. but thats the way it is.
View Quote

The Gambler Movie CLIP - You Drink? (2014) - John Goodman, Mark Wahlberg Movie HD
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are probably speaking in jest.

Or maybe you believe that stereotype.

But here is the news - not all Irish are alcoholics. Many dont drink at all.

Just like not all Yanks are obese...............
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife started drinking in her late 20s and that's about what she would drink. She just seemed to always have to have a drink or two in her. She wasn't really a binge drinker, just a constant one. I got her to switch to wine but she was still drinking about that much alcohol and I wasn't able to get her to stop.

I sure do miss her. She died of liver failure about a year ago.

In short, yes it is way too much.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Start keeping your receipts and at months end, look what you could be saving /using / doing for something that will enrich your life. There’s nothing wrong having a drink but it’ll be sobering to see how much you’re spending/ spent.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Unfortunately, after COVID many of you (us?) are drinking waaaay too much.  pind a day prob too much.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ygpm

Liver disease is hereditary, meaning you’re already behind the 8 ball by drinking so heavily. Your liver can heal, it’s healing ability is incredible. But once you damage it enough it can never recover. The only way it can heal is to stop drinking.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up. This shit has been my demon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you're having to resort to limiting what you buy to keep control, you have already lost control. Not trying to take a jab at you or anything, but drinking a pint of hard liquor a day is gonna wreck your shit.
View Quote

This is what I thought when I read your first post.  

Can you stop drinking before all the booze is gone or you pass out?

If not, then you have an alcohol addiction.  Whether you stop or drink yourself into the gutter os all dependent on you.  

You should stop drinking completely or at least talk to someone that has been there (other than me).

You said you came from a family of drinkers.  Alcoholism runs in families.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Do we have a general sobriety support thread going on anywhere? If not, there should be
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A couple months ago I had never tasted bulleit bourbon or rye. Now it's all I drink. Is a pint a day too much or should I try to cut back to a couple fingers a night? Costco only carries fifths but if I buy one, I'll drink one.  I'd rather buy a pint from the corner store for 18 and be limited by the availability.

View Quote

If you don't have a problem, you are well on your way to one. A pint a day? Can't buy a 5th because you will drink till it's gone?
Yea, maybe you have a problem.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This is what I thought when I read your first post.  

Can you stop drinking before all the booze is gone or you pass out?

If not, then you have an alcohol addiction.  Whether you stop or drink yourself into the gutter os all dependent on you.  

You should stop drinking completely or at least talk to someone that has been there (other than me).

You said you came from a family of drinkers.  Alcoholism runs in families.

View Quote

I never drink to the point of passing out. And I did stop last night before finishing the bottle. But usually I'd kill the pint.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Try a pint of blood loss a night.  It's probably safer in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Fast track to the Beetus brother.
Alcohol turns to sugar when metabolism kicks in.
Watch that shit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fast track to the Beetus brother.
Alcohol turns to sugar when metabolism kicks in.
Watch that shit.
View Quote

Beetus is the least of the problem.
Fatty liver, cirrhosis = put you in the ground
Pancreas function = put you in the ground
Overall inability to take up nutrients and severe gastrointestinal problem (see above), put you in the ground
Nerve damage and wet brain (Vitamin and nutrient loss)

This is how alcoholics and very heavy drinkers die, in their 30s or 40s.

I’m not preaching. I lived it.  Pure hell on earth.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Try a pint of blood loss a night.  It's probably safer in the long run.
View Quote

Uh, try four pints of blood just to keep you alive long enough to get you into the OR.

BTDT, multiple times.
4 pints in a night is my record, I probably wouldn't survive besting it.

But I'm feeling much better now

PS: This was long after I'd quit drinking. Some damage just can't be undone.
When the doc put me on Harvoni for the HepC, she told me "This probably won't make you better, but hopefully you'll stop getting any worse."
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:24:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Just the thought of drinking a pint in a day is giving me a hangover.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just the thought of drinking a pint in a day is giving me a hangover.
View Quote

That’s the danger. The all day everyday hangover becomes “normal”.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Shit, son! I drink nearly a 5th a day.

Used to drink 1.5 cases a day of Coors. Then discovered it was cheaper to drink liquor.

Gotta stop, though. Gotta get myself ready for the ATF, FBI or BLM/ANTIFA at my doorstep.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A couple months ago I had never tasted bulleit bourbon or rye. Now it's all I drink. Is a pint a day too much or should I try to cut back to a couple fingers a night? Costco only carries fifths but if I buy one, I'll drink one. I'd rather buy a pint from the corner store for 18 and be limited by the availability.

View Quote

This is what we call "a clue".
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Used to drink 1.5 cases a day of Coors. Then discovered it was cheaper to drink liquor.

Gotta stop, though. Gotta get myself ready for the ATF, FBI or BLM/ANTIFA at my doorstep.
View Quote

Please tell me you're kidding.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:58:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get help.

And stop talking about it like it’s a joke.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:16:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My wife started drinking in her late 20s and that's about what she would drink. She just seemed to always have to have a drink or two in her. She wasn't really a binge drinker, just a constant one. I got her to switch to wine but she was still drinking about that much alcohol and I wasn't able to get her to stop.

I sure do miss her. She died of liver failure about a year ago.

In short, yes it is way too much.
View Quote
Sorry about your wife.   I fear losing my wife above all else.  Personal danger is pfft. My wife is my world.

Eta:  She feels the same way, when I told her I hit 160 mph on the interstate she got angry that I'd risk what we have for a cheap thrill.   I love that woman.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dibs on guns.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top